Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
It's a huge thing that gets talked about. Minorities/women complain about "white privilege/male privilege" etc. but if the roles were reversed do you think these same people would care? If we lived in a world where blacks were the dominating force and got all the good stuff and white people got totally screwed, would you see them doing everything they can to combat "black privilege"? If women were dominating, had all the nice stuff and set up the rules and men got constantly screwed do you think you'd see many women complaining about "female privilege"?

I know we like to all believe that we can live in a world where there are no biases, no preferential treatment, no discrimination/prejudice etc. but isn't that just an inevitability that, obviously, whoever makes up the majority will end up catering things to their own way? That by and large things will be more advantageous towards the majority? While it's true white people, at least white men have had the advantage in steering things towards the way they want it, the way it ultimately favors them even at the expense of others, isn't that just natural?

Now I am by no means any kind of feminist/SJW by any means, but it does irk me how much things go on and on about white/male "privilege" acting as if it's a uniquely male/white thing when I find that completely absurd.
I don't know if people are actually complaining about white male privilege...or just noting it. I know it has never been a complaint of mine. I complain about blacks being underprivileged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't know if people are actually complaining about white male privilege...or just noting it. I know it has never been a complaint of mine. I complain about blacks being underprivileged.
I agree with this too. I don't really know of people who "complain" about privilege.

Will note that talking about/discussing a subject is not "complaining."

Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
White privilege is a load of rubbish especially in this day and age. If you want to change the perception that white people have an easier life or whatever than black or brown people then why don't they step up and start being a part of society instead of skirting the fringe?

Everyone cries that black people get a bum rap when they get in trouble with the law and they get sent to prison for longer periods and more often then white people do. It is true that in the past black people were railroaded on trumped up charges but that doesn't happen much anymore.

Today we have just as many stupid young white guys that are committing crimes as young black guys do.

Education and personal conduct is the key to breaking the ceiling of "white privilege" Obama did it and he should serve as an example to all that if you are smart and become part of the norm of society instead of fighting it you too can go far.

It is still a white world out there but the barriers are coming down for smart people that conduct themselves appropriately to be part of society.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
People are aware of their privilege. Just look at how they respond when they start being treated like minorities or those who lack privilege.

I'm white and fully aware that people treat me in a way they don't treat my black or latinx friends because of my skin color and my non-"ethnic" name.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:15 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this too. I don't really know of people who "complain" about privilege.

Will note that talking about/discussing a subject is not "complaining."
Don't you know that if you acknowledge a thing or take the time to talk about it, it's complaining? Sheesh.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
you're asking white people to acknowledge that they may not be as good at life in America as they think they are. Nobody wants to face that. They would rather believe things have been completely fair all this time and they just are better than others.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Why all the obsession with race and privilege lately?

Every black person doesn't whine and complain about "poor me, life is so hard as a black man." And not every white person is born into an easy, "privileged" situation. Some blacks, hispanics, asians, Indians, etc are born with more privilege than whites.

There are too many variables to try to argue/generalize a topic like "privilege," black, white, or other.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of white cucks out there. This guy being one of them.
The CK stands for ****. BUT, word is he doesn't practice what he preaches. Hollywood hypocrites, shocking.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:01 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
The only reason for anyone to get offended about the concept of privilege is because they are enjoying it and feeling guilty about that.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Life isn't fair. Accept this and you will be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies