Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why would the Federal Reserve change interest rates based on the actions of the Communists that run China? This is the real question.
The markets, waldo. T bill supply rises, price falls, interest rates move in the opposite direction. T bills influence all interest rates. The commies can hurt our economy, we can destroy theirs. None of this is going to happen though so it is speculative nonsense. A slightly more likely scenario is Trump initiating a trade war with tariffs, but even that is remote as his swamp cabinet knows better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
The thing I find concerning is the indifference from China and Russia. They don't seem to give a crap about this guy having nukes or that he keeps bringing us closer to war. Instead, they threw a fit when we suggested putting a trade end to their companies that have been helping NK get the nuke.

Is it possible that all three countries have a combined strategy to wipe out the US? If they all threw nukes at us at the same time, US is finished. We wouldn't be able to attack all three countries back at the same time, right? Or they could let wacko NK launch at us first. We attack back, and China and Russia then feel justified to go to war with the US. Is this crazy scenario plausible?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:

Kim will never come close to to being a real serious direct threat to the entire USA. His country simply lacks the industrial capacity, resources, technology and people power to do it. And he knows that if he ever tries, his life, the lives of everyone he knows, and most likely his country are over.
So let me understand this: with every missile launched Kim gets closer to perfecting his technology of being able to aim a missile at a US city or several cities and score direct hits and we shouldn't be worried about this because eventually the US and NK will learn to live with each other? And what happens when Kim has perfected his technology to take out the US and then invades SK, because that has been his intent all along--to retake SK and threaten the US with destruction if we try to stop him:

Reason North Korea wants nuclear weapons ? to retake South Korea - Business Insider

Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,187 times
Nk don't have nukes on missiles just a claim by them that can do that they know deep down china is fed up with kim as well as everyone else in asia china would like to get rid of kim and put in someone they can control! What a better way to try to prevent this by claiming he has a lot of nukes!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A news commentator on Fox or CNN said China would dump the dollar if Trump either imposed sanctions on China for supporting NK or if Trump attacked NK, making an exception for a nuclear strike on America/territories.

So what is such an action by China likely to do? If they put all their dollars on the market wouldn't other countries readily snap them up because they believe in the stability of America?
The biggest loser would be China...their economy would fail if the US imposed sanctions on Chinese imports to the US, while the US economy would rebound in the long run when most the companies that fled to China will return to the US.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So let me understand this: with every missile launched Kim gets closer to perfecting his technology of being able to aim a missile at a US city or several cities and score direct hits and we shouldn't be worried about this because eventually the US and NK will learn to live with each other? And what happens when Kim has perfected his technology to take out the US and then invades SK, because that has been his intent all along--to retake SK and threaten the US with destruction if we try to stop him:

Reason North Korea wants nuclear weapons ? to retake South Korea - Business Insider
The premise is ridiculous, but even it if is correct, what do we care? South Korea is not crucial to our national security interests.

And stop it with all this NK as a world power BS. Reminds me of all the war mongerers with their absurd ISIS is ten feet tall and going to run over the US if we don't bomb somebody now. NK has a half dozen nukes, no way to get them here. We have 7000 nukes and abundant alternatives to turn NK to glass in a few minutes if and when we so desire.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Default The dollar is our currency, but it’s your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The markets, waldo. T bill supply rises, price falls, interest rates move in the opposite direction. T bills influence all interest rates. The commies can hurt our economy, we can destroy theirs. None of this is going to happen though so it is speculative nonsense. A slightly more likely scenario is Trump initiating a trade war with tariffs, but even that is remote as his swamp cabinet knows better.
Indeed.

But you didn't answer the question. It's the Federal Reserve who sets the rates, not the commies. Why would they do anything to hurt the US economy? China is sitting on a bunch of $$$$. What does "dump" actually mean? Are they going to give them back to the Fed? Are they going to buy stuff? Are they just going to burn them? Do you think the ECB will take the chinese $$$$? Answer: The commies can't do squat and CNN is simply making up more fake nonsense.

It's already happened before.

Nixon's treasury secretary very famously said to France in 1971 when France actually tried to dump their US $$$s. "The dollar is our currency, but it’s your problem." Nixon then broke Brenton Woods I, established Brenton Woods II based on oil backed by the US military, and the rest is history. France had to keep their $$$ and learn to love it too.

CNN is rotting people's brains with nonsense.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:09 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Quote:
None.

And it won't happen.

Why?

The world buys and/or sells petroleum denominated in dollars. Every country has to have the currency. It's the way the world's global fossil fuel business works, by design.

Been this way since 1973.

(you guys are rotting your brains on CNN)
This ^^^^

Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
The premise is ridiculous, but even it if is correct, what do we care? South Korea is not crucial to our national security interests.

And stop it with all this NK as a world power BS. Reminds me of all the war mongerers with their absurd ISIS is ten feet tall and going to run over the US if we don't bomb somebody now. NK has a half dozen nukes, no way to get them here. We have 7000 nukes and abundant alternatives to turn NK to glass in a few minutes if and when we so desire.
I'm not talking about Kim invading tomorrow. Of course he can't do it now. But what about 5 years from now at the rate he is advancing? And i thought SK was crucial to our interests. I mean we keep bases there don't we? So if Kim throws us out with threats of a nuclear attack on America how could we stop him from forcing us out if we let him advance his nuclear arsenal to 100 warheads over the next 5 years or so?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:

I shall add some to this.

While I agree that NK is potentially a threat, we must recall that it is not like we (USA) have never been under nuclear threat before. I am old enough (62) to recall doing the 'duck and cover' drill at school. During the first half of my life, the Soviet Union was felt as being a real threat to the United States. During the 1960s and 1970s, both countries had tens of thousands of nuclear weapons aimed at each other.

Indeed, looking it up, I found this article:

Nuclear Weapon Stockpiles: Past and Present | The Diplomat

In this article, it is claimed that since the onset of the Nuclear Age (1945) 125,000 nuclear weapons have been built, with 97 percent built by the USA and the Soviet Union/Russia. Of course, many have been dismantled, with the article claiming some 17,000 remaining today (again, mainly USA and Russia), with 7,000 waiting to be dismantled by both countries (leaving, for you in Rio Linda, 10,000).

I cannot stress enough that during my youth, it was firmly felt by many that nuclear war with the Soviet Union was inevitable (in part due to hostilities, but also due to a 'mistake' being made). The United States response to the Soviet buildup was one of 'containment', as well as both countries realizing that such a war was a non-winner for either side.

So, let us not act like the US being threatened by nuclear weapons is something new. Such has always been a threat since the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies