Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
150 years ago was 1867. slaves didn't exist in the US and therefore had zero monetary value.
Do you sell hair weaves? Because obviously you are a professional at "splitting hairs". There is a big market for that. You can become a millionaire with those hair splitting skills.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
150 years ago was 1867. slaves didn't exist in the US and therefore had zero monetary value.
Uh, you must not have read the date "1860" in the text of my post.

Also, if I own 50 Billion dollars today, the value of that in 2 or 7 years is increased. That is, the "values" like building the US Capitol and clothing 1/2 the world with cotton, in theory, actually increased with compounding - or, looking at it another way, the DEBT of those who took the "cheap and free" stuff would be compounded.

I'll state the 11th commandment "You do too know what I mean" and leave it at that.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:30 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
but they have an excuse to be racist to whites.......whites treated them bad first centuries and decades ago...LOL......That's their excuse. I know, its sound silly but that's the excuse they use.
And on the flip side, there are people who will look for every excuse to look down on Blacks.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And on the flip side, there are people who will look for every excuse to look down on Blacks.
Could it be for their lack of desire to educate themselves and pull their selves up or demands handout from government and be liable lacking

Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
These people will exist no matter what. As well as some from other races who do the same with whites. We can only admonish and remove ourselves from their company. Utopia does not exist.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Could it be for their lack of desire to educate themselves and pull their selves up or demands handout from government and be liable lacking
Not really, because Blacks were looked down on long before that. And what do you have to say to Blacks who are educating themselves, who aren't demanding handouts(which make up the majority of the Black population)?

Old 09-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
These people will exist no matter what. As well as some from other races who do the same with whites. We can only admonish and remove ourselves from their company. Utopia does not exist.
I don't expect a utopia. This noted, I do hope for and expect a certain level of respect to take place. If I am showing respect and being a decent person, it shouldn't be much to ask for said person to act in kind. And while many people do just that, people who look for any excuse to be bigots are trouble to deal with. I don't want those individuals around me. I dealt with bigots and racists in high school. I am still running into those kinds of people today.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I don't expect a utopia. This noted, I do hope for and expect a certain level of respect to take place. If I am showing respect and being a decent person, it shouldn't be much to ask for said person to act in kind. And while many people do just that, people who look for any excuse to be bigots are trouble to deal with. I don't want those individuals around me. I dealt with bigots and racists in high school. I am still running into those kinds of people today.
Absolutely. We agree and I expect the same thing from anyone I encounter. When I don't get it then I respond accordingly. It is frustrating when people like the OP pigeonhole an entire group for things that fringe idiots do. I don't blame all liberals for the lunacy of a few or lay claim to the idiots of the far right who are no better. But to think that all of it can be stamped out is to be devoid of reality, yet I think some liberals believe it to be possible (or that it must happen at any cost). Human nature can be so very ugly and yet much of it is entirely beautiful and inspiring, but some choose to focus on the ugly. I have been treated very poorly and physically attacked by those of other races yet that does not define my view of any race as a whole.

Last edited by redwood66; 09-09-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 12:25 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
AMERICA ELECTS TRUMP!

Lets be honest. Few people, and they would be of questionable intelligence, would interpret that headline to mean that ALL AMERICANS VOTED FOR TRUMP.

Yet, why would people interpret a claim made about CONSERVATIVES to be a claim made of ALL CONSERVATIVES?

A common tactic, when one cannot deny the truth of something, is to use the straw man and embellish the truth then attempt to discredit the argument by proving that the embellishment is not true.

The OP made a claim about conservatives. Without hesitation, people embellished the statement and turned it into a claim made of ALL CONSERVATIVES. Once the original was distorted, people then attempted to discredit the OP post by demonstrating or saying that the believe racism exist.

The same happens with whites. If you make a claim about whites, like the claim that America elected Trump, whites will take the claim and suggest that its a claim against ALL whites. Yet, they would never take the claim that America elected Trump to mean that every America voted for Trump.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-09-2017 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 09-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
AMERICA ELECTS TRUMP!

Lets be honest. Few people, and they would be of questionable intelligence, would interpret that headline to mean that ALL AMERICANS VOTED FOR TRUMP.

Yet, why would people interpret a claim made about CONSERVATIVES to be a claim made of ALL CONSERVATIVES?
Insert the word SOME in the OP and all ambiguity as to the intent of the thread is gone. But that wouldn't be as much fun would it? And before you say it - the right does the same thing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies