Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 07:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Facts the LEFT doesn't like have also become RACIST. It is all the have left at this point to combat the facts that show that progressive (Democrat) policies are an UTTER FAILURE. If you yell racism, sexism etc it ends the argument as nobody wants to be considered racist even though their facts are CORRECT. It is a way for the LEFT to continue escaping reality in quest for their UTOPIA. Meanwhile Soros and the elite get richer.
Well.....the preponderance of the science community around the world has concluded that global warming is a FACT. Yet, most Republicans do not accept this science. On the other hand, republicans are willing to hold on to any science that may even hint at innate differences between the races explaining differentials in racial performance and outcomes.

Thus, the question is not about science.....its really about BELIEFS and POLITICS. How does one confirm something as a TRUTH, if they cannot bear witness to the proof? Individuals do not have the ability to analyze and test the 7.5 billion people on the planet, controlling for different environmental factors and what not, to determine innate differences.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:00 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,080,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well.....the preponderance of the science community around the world has concluded that global warming is a FACT. Yet, most Republicans do not accept this science. On the other hand, republicans are willing to hold on to any science that may even hint at innate differences between the races explaining differentials in racial performance and outcomes.

Thus, the question is not about science.....its really about BELIEFS and POLITICS.
You are willing to throw anything out there to show how mixed up you are. Republicans believe in climate change(catch up with the rest of us - no longer "warming"). They just don't subscribe to the liberal belief that man has an appreciable effect on it.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:02 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:

Thus, the question is not about science.....its really about BELIEFS and POLITICS.
And a lot of the scientific community, especially at the university level has been corrupted by funding, government and otherwise. They have been caught falsifying data, and NOAA, and NASA have admitted to changing past temp data. Now they call it re-calibration, but it was done purposely to mislead.

No, the science is not settled, no the debate is not over. I guess we should have stopped debating about the earth being flat, huh, or the Earth being the center of the Universe? That was settled science too, and people went to jail if they disagreed. That is why the libs want to send "Deniers" to jail now. See the similarities? You'd have to be blind not to.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
Racism? Take a look at network tv. The morning news shows, sports, etc., looks like the story of the disappearance of the white male.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again, you made this all up because you don't have anything to back up what you say. You cannot discuss the issue because of your blinded agenda.
I have given you the answer twice now. Here's the 3rd time, lets see if you deflect yet again.

Again why don't YOU tell everyone here why single parenthood in the black community has sky rocketed and is many times higher now vs the Jim Crow days if it's about racism. Besides the war on drugs. That has some influence.

Again Is there more big government welfare now than there was 50 years ago? Did family take care of family back in Jim Crow days or did government? <<< Ignore this like you did last time. Whatever you do don't discuss this. Instead kept ignoring what I've said and continue to play the race card. It's what you do best.
Divorce rates have, obviously, gone up since the early 1970s, with the change in the divorce laws in many (if not all, by now) states.

It used to be that a person filing for divorce had to have firm grounds established as per state statue. Grounds included adultery (back in those days, private investigators were very busy), insanity, bigamy, abandonment, or one of the spouses was in prison (grounds varied some from state to state). Back then, the judges learned against granting a divorce, particularly if children were involved.

You read correctly: even if you proved a valid basis for divorce, the judge could, and often did, deny the divorce application. The spouses were stuck together, at least legally.

As a child in the 1960s, I knew exactly one divorced family. In those days, being divorced had a negative stigma to it.

The state laws started to change in the late 1960s and into the 70s, essentially providing for 'no fault' divorce. The churches were against this monumental change, but more and more states decided to provide such. Not surprisingly, you had people filing for divorce left and right.

If you care to look up the divorce statistics dating back decades, you will easily see that there was a correlation between the relaxation of divorce laws and the rise in divorce.

I will add one other factor: cost. Divorce used to be very expensive. Up to the late 1970s or so, the various State Bars around the country had firm price minimums that attorneys had to charge for their services. I recall when I entered law school in 1980 that my father (also an attorney) gave me a copy of the Texas Bar price sheet. I cannot recall how much a divorce was, but I bet it was at least $500. By the time I left law school in 1983 the pricing scheme was ruled invalid, and attorneys were told they could charge whatever they wish (as well as advertise).

Now days, drive down any busy road and you will see billboard ads advertising divorce from $99.00, plus court costs. It is a seismic change from the 'old days'.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You are willing to throw anything out there to show how mixed up you are. Republicans believe in climate change(catch up with the rest of us - no longer "warming"). They just don't subscribe to the liberal belief that man has an appreciable effect on it.
Yet.....the science community does believe that man is influencing it. You do not accept that science...BECAUSE OF YOUR POLITICS AND BELIEFS. Yet, mention any science about blacks being innately different and explaining differences in outcomes.....and you run with that science as a TRUTH. Thus, its not about SCIENCE or TRUTH....its about BELIEFS and POLITICS.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Divorce rates have, obviously, gone up since the early 1970s, with the change in the divorce laws in many (if not all, by now) states.

It used to be that a person filing for divorce had to have firm grounds established as per state statue. Grounds included adultery (back in those days, private investigators were very busy), insanity, bigamy, abandonment, or one of the spouses was in prison (grounds varied some from state to state). Back then, the judges learned against granting a divorce, particularly if children were involved.

You read correctly: even if you proved a valid basis for divorce, the judge could, and often did, deny the divorce application. The spouses were stuck together, at least legally.

As a child in the 1960s, I knew exactly one divorced family. In those days, being divorced had a negative stigma to it.

The state laws started to change in the late 1960s and into the 70s, essentially providing for 'no fault' divorce. The churches were against this monumental change, but more and more states decided to provide such. Not surprisingly, you had people filing for divorce left and right.

If you care to look up the divorce statistics dating back decades, you will easily see that there was a correlation between the relaxation of divorce laws and the rise in divorce.

I will add one other factor: cost. Divorce used to be very expensive. Up to the late 1970s or so, the various State Bars around the country had firm price minimums that attorneys had to charge for their services. I recall when I entered law school in 1980 that my father (also an attorney) gave me a copy of the Texas Bar price sheet. I cannot recall how much a divorce was, but I bet it was at least $500. By the time I left law school in 1983 the pricing scheme was ruled invalid, and attorneys were told they could charge whatever they wish (as well as advertise).

Now days, drive down any busy road and you will see billboard ads advertising divorce from $99.00, plus court costs. It is a seismic change from the 'old days'.
Fast forward to TODAY, and you notice that a lot of people are having kids without ever getting married. Divorce has much less to do with it now. Unfortunately, bastard is no longer a negative term, although it is not even in use anymore, except on Game of Thrones.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Yet.....the science community does believe that man is influencing it. You do not accept that science...BECAUSE OF YOUR POLITICS AND BELIEFS. Yet, mention any science about blacks being innately different and explaining differences in outcomes.....and you run with that science as a TRUTH. Thus, its not about SCIENCE or TRUTH....its about BELIEFS and POLITICS.
If the reports of data fixing weren't true, you might have a point there. Too bad that many of those with your point of view, on the scientific side, are making a living on grant money. And you consider their opinions objective?

But, we are getting away from the topic of this thread, aren't we?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And a lot of the scientific community, especially at the university level has been corrupted by funding, government and otherwise. They have been caught falsifying data, and NOAA, and NASA have admitted to changing past temp data. Now they call it re-calibration, but it was done purposely to mislead.

No, the science is not settled, no the debate is not over. I guess we should have stopped debating about the earth being flat, huh, or the Earth being the center of the Universe? That was settled science too, and people went to jail if they disagreed. That is why the libs want to send "Deniers" to jail now. See the similarities? You'd have to be blind not to.
Again....the selective acceptance of science.

Ones skepticism is a product of their beliefs and thus if a scientific finding leads to a conclusion that is counter to ones beliefs, ones mind will search out counter factual or information to discredit the science. Indeed, there may even be counter factual that does render the scientific finding questionable. However, if the science falls in line with what one already believes, then they will search no more for counter factual, which there may be, and accept the science as truth. That is called selection bias or confirmation bias.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Fast forward to TODAY, and you notice that a lot of people are having kids without ever getting married. Divorce has much less to do with it now. Unfortunately, bastard is no longer a negative term, although it is not even in use anymore, except on Game of Thrones.
True indeed. I once, as a child (fifth grade?) heard friends I admired (indeed, the children of the one divorced couple I knew), clowning around and calling each other bastard. At school the next day, I playfully called a student in class such, and he immediately screamed out "Mr Slaughter (real name), Legalsea just call me a bastard!"

Mr. Slaughter immediately pulled in out of my seat, pulled out the 'board', and let me have it. My mother was called, and she was shocked beyond measure that I used such a word (which I did not have a clue as to its meaning). This event is burned into my memory.

In law school we did study the law concerning the rights of bastards. They were not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies