Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then he should not have OFFERED wedding cakes in his shop.
That's what this case is all about --- at what point does a state law violate a business owner's constitutional right to refrain from expressive or symbolic speech or compel them to violate their sincerely held religious beliefs.

I think the point is reached when the business activity involves participation in creating a unique item or product. A baker who refused to sell cookies, cupcakes, a pre-made wedding cake off the shelf is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 04:26 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Your logic is flawed. I will point it out to you by asking a couple of questions. Initially, after the baker refused to bake the cake, who went public about the the refusal, the baker or the gay couple? Who went to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, the gay people or the baker?

Now, who is self-righteous, drawing attention to themselves? Since when is defending your right to freedom of expression, of free speech self-righteous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why didn't the self-righteous people just say " Sorry, can't fit that one into my schedule, the place up the street is pretty good" BUT, NO, we gotta be self righteous and draw attention to ourselves.

The gay couple drama queens and the praying in public, hypocrites behaving like snowflakes deserve each other.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
whats a gay cake look like? two guys instead of man n female? - what was so offensive to the baker? I dont have time to go googling just having a coffee before gop out and prepare for Irma- anyone?

Old 09-09-2017, 05:36 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Step out of your echo chamber - - there really isn't. Maybe the bakery did raise their clientele; maybe the bakery knew there were a lot of homophobes in the area. Good for them, I guess.
"Step out of your echo chamber -"

Grow up!

You use the term "homophobes".

Sorry to disappointing you but just because people do NOT agree with you does NOT make them they FEAR them, which is what "phobia means"

It seems this is the way the libs deal with most issues, if someone doesn't agree with them, they resort to juvenile name calling accuse those of "fear.

It is no wonder when hillary lost so many libs couldn't take it and had to go to their "safe" places with crayons and had to seek therapy.

They just CAN'T accept reality.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:25 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
whats a gay cake look like? two guys instead of man n female? - what was so offensive to the baker? I dont have time to go googling just having a coffee before gop out and prepare for Irma- anyone?
It's simple. For him, and many other people, marriage between two men violates their religious beliefs. He doesn't want to be forced by the state to participate in the celebration of an event that conflicts with his beliefs. He believes creating a custom cake for the wedding would be an act of celebrating and condoning the marriage of two men. He does not discriminate against gay people on the basis of their gayness.

I know that's mock-worthy to plenty of people who think religious beliefs are stupid and who are always eager to scream bigotry, homophobia, hate, ignorance.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
No one is denying the baker the right to practice his religion. Baking and selling cakes is however not practicing religion. It is providing a service to the general public. Applying a litmus test to any customer is pure and simple DISCRIMINATION.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
No one is denying the baker the right to practice his religion. Baking and selling cakes is however not practicing religion. It is providing a service to the general public. Applying a litmus test to any customer is pure and simple DISCRIMINATION.
So go somewhere else. If he were rude or you saw him **** in cake batter, or the place was filthy, would you still demand that he make you a cake? It's because he "said" he didn't want to make a cake for a gay couple that they got upset. That gave them the chance to sue. It's all BS.

I've seen businesses turn away customers they didn't like all the time. Maybe the customer was difficult, didn't pay money owed, or rude and the business decided it wasn't worth the aggravation. Just like if the customer finds the business staff rude or difficult, and decides to take their business elsewhere. There are places I won't shop because some of the staff have the attitude that they are doing me a favor by letting me shop there. I avoid car dealers because I find the sales staff to be among the most evil people I've ever encountered. Service managers, too. I know a real estate agent that would sell her own grandchildren for the right price. I have a sneaking suspicion that she's always got an eye peeled for a caravan of gypsies.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:22 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Irrelevent. The baker owns his labor.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:30 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
So go somewhere else. If he were rude or you saw him **** in cake batter, or the place was filthy, would you still demand that he make you a cake? It's because he "said" he didn't want to make a cake for a gay couple that they got upset. That gave them the chance to sue. It's all BS. ...
Denying US citizens of their right to have a hearing is not the rational answer here:

As per U.S. Supreme Court, Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises, Inc., 390 U.S. 400 (1968), Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises, Inc. No. 339

Argued March 7, 1968, Decided March 18, 1968, 390 U.S. 400

Quote:
...When the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed, it was evident that enforcement would prove difficult, and that the Nation would have to rely in part upon private litigation as a means of securing broad compliance with the law. ...
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../400/case.html

Old 09-09-2017, 08:35 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Irrelevent. The baker owns his labor.

WRONG. It is his religion that is irrelevant when it comes to baking and selling cakes to the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies