Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 08:35 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times

Advertisements

Didn't this bakery go out business. NJ had a similar situation, wedding dress joint refused to sell a wedding dress to a lesbian couple. Lost customers, closed down. Why do e have to waste time and money on these things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:46 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
So go somewhere else. If he were rude or you saw him **** in cake batter, or the place was filthy, would you still demand that he make you a cake? It's because he "said" he didn't want to make a cake for a gay couple that they got upset. That gave them the chance to sue. It's all BS.

I've seen businesses turn away customers they didn't like all the time. Maybe the customer was difficult, didn't pay money owed, or rude and the business decided it wasn't worth the aggravation. Just like if the customer finds the business staff rude or difficult, and decides to take their business elsewhere. There are places I won't shop because some of the staff have the attitude that they are doing me a favor by letting me shop there. I avoid car dealers because I find the sales staff to be among the most evil people I've ever encountered. Service managers, too. I know a real estate agent that would sell her own grandchildren for the right price. I have a sneaking suspicion that she's always got an eye peeled for a caravan of gypsies.
Hell, I have a mechanic friend who won't work on one of my cars because it's well-known that its electrical system is a POS (cough, Mercedes, cough). I completely understand and don't fault him for that.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:35 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Didn't this bakery go out business. NJ had a similar situation, wedding dress joint refused to sell a wedding dress to a lesbian couple. Lost customers, closed down. Why do e have to waste time and money on these things
As parents used to inform when we'd inadvertently or carelessly break things: 'This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things.' I too wish we'd stop.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:58 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
WRONG. It is his religion that is irrelevant when it comes to baking and selling cakes to the general public.
He was willing to sell anything he'd already baked. He was not willing to actively design and create a wedding cake for two men, whether they are homosexual, heterosexual, one of each orientation, one bi and one undecided, whatever.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Denying US citizens of their right to have a hearing is not the rational answer here:

As per U.S. Supreme Court, Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises, Inc., 390 U.S. 400 (1968), Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises, Inc. No. 339

Argued March 7, 1968, Decided March 18, 1968, 390 U.S. 400

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../400/case.html
So you want special protection so the baker doesn't hurt your feelings? You want the ability to sue because of what the baker says or thinks? If you force him to make you a cake and he happens to be an angry, evil person, he may spike it just to try and get back at you. Find a baker that wants to serve you. The baker has rights to his beliefs, right or wrong. Let him lose business, hit him in the pocketbook where it hurts.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

"We" dont. Left to its own devices the marketplace can sort out the bad actors.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He was willing to sell anything he'd already baked. He was not willing to actively design and create a wedding cake for two men, whether they are homosexual, heterosexual, one of each orientation, one bi and one undecided, whatever.
So he was not discriminating based on sexual orientation but on sex? Well, that is covered under the law too.

Quote:
It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation or, directly or indirectly, to publish, circulate, issue, display, post, or mail any written, electronic, or printed communication, notice, or advertisement that indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied an individual or that an individual's patronage or presence at a place of public accommodation is unwelcome, objectionable, unacceptable, or undesirable because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry.
COCODE

Old 09-09-2017, 10:24 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Exactly, and it is these PRESSURE GROUPS from the LEFT that are the bullies. I have no problem with a private business denying me service FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. I will take my business elsewhere.
When one is not part of a group that is discriminated against then one would say the above. Maybe you get it but you don't care b/c it is not effecting you. Nice values. <not>

Old 09-09-2017, 10:27 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Where does the bible say a Christian must discriminate against certain sinners, such as homosexuals?
The bible says not to discriminate but it also says not to be involved in it. One can love their neighbor without agreeing with them and what they do.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The bible says not to discriminate but it also says not to be involved in it. One can love their neighbor without agreeing with them and what they do.
No, it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies