Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I support a business deciding who to sell what to...as long as it isn't discriminatory. This was a case of
clear discrimination.

LOL!!!

Reread what you typed.

You support a business's ability to discriminate, as long as they don't discriminate. Bwahhahahahahahahahaha!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
AG Sessions is very much in favor of discrimination in many forms.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL!!!

Reread what you typed.

You support a business's ability to discriminate, as long as they don't discriminate. Bwahhahahahahahahahaha!!
No. I have worked for small businesses in the past. And my family has owned small businesses in the past.
You shouldn't have to serve people who have shoplifted from you in the past, or people who come in just to cause trouble, loiter and harass paying customers. That is what I meant.

But to not want to serve someone because they are gay, or because you don't like the color of their skin,
or you don't like their religion is wrong. And illegal.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Step out of your echo chamber - - there really isn't. Maybe the bakery did raise their clientele; maybe the bakery knew there were a lot of homophobes in the area. Good for them, I guess.
If the bakery did get more business after it was sued, maybe it was because there are a lot of people in the area who oppose forcing him to make a product for an event he disapproves of, same sex wedding.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
AG Sessions is very much in favor of discrimination in many forms.
What "forms" would they be? Do you have examples? The only people I see him "discriminate" against are criminals, and that's his job.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If the bakery did get more business after it was sued, maybe it was because there are a lot of people in the area who oppose forcing him to make a product for an event he disapproves of, same sex wedding.
Or there are just a lot of homophobes out there.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Absolutely.

Allow owners decide who they will serve based on whatever criteria they wish.

Lefties embracing capitalism. Might be hope for you yet Seacove!

That is what you want your country to be? A nation that refuses to serve you because of minor physical or social characteristics that would only steadily increase the political and social divides? This is the world we want to create for our kids- "You're not welcome here, you're gay/black/Muslim/Christian/Republican/Democrat"?

Also, from a purely capitalist standpoint, having restrictive, discriminatory policies as a business seems incredibly stupid and counterproductive. If you have a business, I assume you want to make money, right? Why wouldn't you want as many customers as possible? As long as they have money and aren't breaking any laws, I don't get the motivation. What's the point in trying to create a business model that produces less income?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That is what you want your country to be? A nation that refuses to serve you because of minor physical or social characteristics that would only steadily increase the political and social divides? This is the world we want to create for our kids- "You're not welcome here, you're gay/black/Muslim/Christian/Republican/Democrat"?
You have a very low opinion of your countrymen if you believe it is only threat of force that keeps all businesses from promiscuous discrimination. Formerly it was threat of force that kept businesses from non-discrimination (you remember segregation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Also, from a purely capitalist standpoint, having restrictive, discriminatory policies as a business seems incredibly stupid and counterproductive. If you have a business, I assume you want to make money, right? Why wouldn't you want as many customers as possible? As long as they have money and aren't breaking any laws, I don't get the motivation. What's the point in trying to create a business model that produces less income?
Isn't that the responsibility of the business owners? Does government have a remit to legislate to maximize corporate profits? If a business owner(s) choose to have self restricted clientele isn't that their business (pun intended)? If it works for them or fails what business is it of yours?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why didn't the self-righteous people just say " Sorry, can't fit that one into my schedule, the place up the street is pretty good" BUT, NO, we gotta be self righteous and draw attention to ourselves.

The gay couple drama queens and the praying in public, hypocrites behaving like snowflakes deserve each other.
sounds like you pretty much hate everyone not you..

Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
No. I have worked for small businesses in the past. And my family has owned small businesses in the past.
You shouldn't have to serve people who have shoplifted from you in the past, or people who come in just to cause trouble, loiter and harass paying customers. That is what I meant.

But to not want to serve someone because they are gay, or because you don't like the color of their skin,
or you don't like their religion is wrong. And illegal.
and you don't have to . you are completely correct. but you are talking to zealot who can see no nuance in anything.

businesses may refuse service as long as that refusal is NOT in breach of discrimination laws. Bars refuse service all the time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies