Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Do that here and there will be a mini civil war. People will call you a racist and trying to put the minorities down and keep them there. College for all is a birth right in USA whether it is appropriate for you are not.

I agree, vocational school for children who are not cut out for college might be the right thing to do. I would even favor it being subsidized and given to all children who qualify for it, whether they be whites, blacks, Asians or Hispanics.
Oh man, now you've opened a can of worms! And what happens when the upper middle class discovers that some of their own really aren't worthy of that university education? I remember listening to a friend of mine bemoan the quality of her peers at Yale. She would go on and on about her wealthy classmates who could not think their way out of a paper bag and got in on Daddy or Mommy's name without the academic credentials to back it up.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No. "sculler:regatta::cyclist:____" doesn't test ones reasoning ability. It tests specific vocabulary, which is often a product of exposure.
Biased questions are easily detectable because they produce odd distributions of correct and incorrect answers. The testing companies screen them out. If you worked in testing industry, how could you not know that? Why are you here spreading false information?

Old 09-08-2017, 08:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Biased questions are easily detectable because they produce odd distributions of correct and incorrect answers. The testing companies screen them out. If you worked in testing industry, how could you not know that? Why are you here spreading false information?
I still want to know the answer. I did very well on the SAT -- granted, many years ago -- but I'm stumped by this one.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:43 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Do that here and there will be a mini civil war. People will call you a racist and trying to put the minorities down and keep them there. College for all is a birth right in USA whether it is appropriate for you are not.

I agree, vocational school for children who are not cut out for college might be the right thing to do. I would even favor it being subsidized and given to all children who qualify for it, whether they be whites, blacks, Asians or Hispanics.
Public schools used to provide that. In 10th grade you chose academic or vocational and vocational involved both classes and hands on experience out in the community.

And those that don't score high enough to get into universities ? Ship them off to CC where they end up in remedial classes which amounts to them taking HS classes yet again only this time it's not free.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I still want to know the answer. I did very well on the SAT -- granted, many years ago -- but I'm stumped by this one.
Those types of questions provided 4 choices for answers as the SAT is multiple choice.
The poster did not provide us with any choices for answers.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh man, now you've opened a can of worms! And what happens when the upper middle class discovers that some of their own really aren't worthy of that university education? I remember listening to a friend of mine bemoan the quality of her peers at Yale. She would go on and on about her wealthy classmates who could not think their way out of a paper bag and got in on Daddy or Mommy's name without the academic credentials to back it up.
Then those wealthy upper middle class kids should not go to college. If they are not good academically for any reason, they do not deserve to waste a spot. And if a minority qualifies for that spot, it should be given to him / her. But at the same time a non deserving minority should also not use a spot that can be given to a more qualified candidate.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 AM

Ultimately nothing will happen. The US firmly believes that everyone is a winner and that every 18 year old HS graduate will go to college and be successful.

The scores will continue to drop and we'll continue to bemoan them looking for ways to fix this problem laying blame on various factors.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We're shocked that poor kids who have uneducated parents and go to poor schools score poorly on the ACT? I'm shocked. The SAT and ACT measure how well you take the SAT or ACT, which is largely based on the amount of test prep you've had.
Yep.

Years of policies put in place in many states to actively ruin public schools and we are supposed to be surprised that it's working?

What's the answer OP?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Ultimately nothing will happen. The US firmly believes that everyone is a winner and that every 18 year old HS graduate will go to college and be successful.

The scores will continue to drop and we'll continue to bemoan them looking for ways to fix this problem laying blame on various factors.
And everyone has an IQ of at least 130. We can all be brain surgeons if only teachers were paid enough money.

No dummies in America.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
It would be difficult to have dear ol Dad help you with a math problem if no one knows who dear ol Dad is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies