Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 07:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Except of course that statement is false. Progressive groups were targeted as well. The criteria was political activism by a group claiming a charitable immunity.
The IG who conducted this investigation disagrees with your assertion. Read the letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That poorly devised search tool as you put it only targeted Conservative groups, the tea party made up the bulk of them bu there were others. This is illegal.
No it's not illegal and if it was the DOJ would have taken the case.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
The IG who conducted this investigation disagrees with your assertion. Read the letter.
So this was entirely conservative groups, what were the numbers in the IG report. The IG indicated 100% of conservative groups were targeted, no other groups were reviewed.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No it's not illegal and if it was the DOJ would have taken the case.
It is illegal for the IRS or any government agency for that matter to treat anyone or any group differently based on their political ideology, beliefs etc.. The reasons for that should not be to difficult to understand but if you need help understanding why you are hopeless. This is in fact one of the foundations of our Democracy.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Absolutely.... The issue is you are basing your information on what was reported in the lame stream media reporting about the IG's testimony where he was unable to clarify his answers.The follow up letter after his testimony clarifies that which of course got no coverage.

https://online.wsj.com/public/resour...in06262013.pdf

Only 30 percent of groups with the term Progressive were flagged in the same time period this occurred and in those cases it had nothing to do with their political ideology. Whatever they were flagged for was apolitical and would have tripped up anyone.

Furthermore other than the Conservative groups no other groups were targeted.

Not only were they were not equally applying the law it's illegal for them to do this to begin regardless of who it is.
What that document says is that 296 applications were referred for further examination of which 69% were identifiable as politically active to IRS criteria. However only 96 of these were from the conservative names on the BOLO. So 200 others were selected. And there is no published finding whether all or only a part of the conservative applications selected were appropriate.

It does appear that a high percentage of the conservatives were selected but there is no judgement as to whether it was appropriate.

There was also a check of the ones not selected that indicated a number of them should have been. That might well be more of a problem than the selection of the conservative ones.

Good find though. Makes it clear the IRS needs more consistent policies. In general I would agree with the use of a BOLO for such things. While it would be nice to check all resources generally never let you do that. So you try and check all the likely ones. I would also expect that progressive, libertarian and environmentalists all plays these games and should be checked.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So this was entirely conservative groups, what were the numbers in the IG report. The IG indicated 100% of conservative groups were targeted, no other groups were reviewed.

I would suggest educating yourself instead of talking out of your ass and then expecting me to explain something to you. When you you can discuss this with knowledge get back to me, until them you will be ignored.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In general I would agree with the use of a BOLO for such things. .
The BOLO list in this case was using criteria that specifically targeted Conservative "Tea Party" groups, they cannot do that no matter who it is because the criteria is based on specific ideology. It's not based on political activity but Conservative political activity, there is significant difference. There was no criteria on those lists that singled out other political ideologies.

If you want to revoke the tax exempt status of any group engaging in political activity good luck with that. The is going to be a very long list and will include numerous very high profile groups.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I would suggest educating yourself instead of talking out of your ass and then expecting me to explain something to you. When you you can discuss this with knowledge get back to me, until them you will be ignored.
I would suggest you stop claiming a simple bureaucratic mistake is a conspiracy and deserving of muliple investigations by congress. What ground would a DOJ investigation cover, do you have anything new.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
The BOLO list in this case was using criteria that specifically targeted Conservative "Tea Party" groups, they cannot do that no matter who it is because the criteria is based on specific ideology. It's not based on political activity but Conservative political activity, there is significant difference. There was no criteria on those lists that singled out other political ideologies.

If you want to revoke the tax exempt status of any group engaging in political activity good luck with that. The is going to be a very long list and will include numerous very high profile groups.
No. The BOLO list included some terms likely to target conservatives. But that does not mean they did not belong on it. Actually I suspect they should have had left wing company. So the sin is of omission.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It is illegal for the IRS or any government agency for that matter to treat anyone or any group differently based on their political ideology, beliefs etc.. The reasons for that should not be to difficult to understand but if you need help understanding why you are hopeless. This is in fact one of the foundations of our Democracy.
It was a ill advised search tool developed by the IRS, but of course it just couldn't be that simple. Let's stop attempting to make this too complicated.

So what exactly did all these investigative committees come up with, surely they must have come up with something since Obama directed them. Please spare me that without Lois Lerners testimony they couldn't go forward, there must have been an overwhelming amount of evidence.

Total bs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies