Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,066,783 times

Advertisements

143 million people got their ID stolen.

The law suit should have been 143 quadrillion dollars, so that everyone would get enough cash not to worry about it anymore. Everyone would live on their Pvt island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,359,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They have way too much control and you talk about Big Brother is watching, they see everywhere you spend and sell your information. There is a lot more going on than how you pay your mtg.
I think some of the customer services are overseas as well. I hope the stick them on the wall . They are really intrusive - in people's lives.
I do think you have outlined the big issue in this modern world. Credit rating has always been dependent on your track record of paying bills onetime or making good debt. Then of course, IF anyone wants to open Credit card account or take out a mortgage.. Your Financial History and debt ratio is always considered BEFORE allowing such loans!!

I think those that HOLD our Credit Record should be held accountable since ALL credit checks goes thru them.. and this is just one of many who track one's credit rating!! IT's JUST NOT Government!!

Online banking was always considered a huge risk.. but thankful our Banks put checks and balances in place + I individually do NOT leave any FOOTPRINT of any account info and memorized my account #'s ( 18 at least) and of course PW wouldn't even get accessed! So... so far NO Issues!!

I experienced back in the early '90's ID Theft.. and learned to my core how to protect myself and WHO to contact if wondering!! I'm breathing better now after 25+ years that I haven't been hacked.. But I fear that far too many ASSume online footprints leave a LOAD for Expert Hackers to obtain ALL your personal DATA!!

Also.. must highlight the necessity to check your Banking links and credit links to see IF some unauthorized charge occurred!! Back in my day one had to wait until their bill came in their mailbox!! NOW one can find fraudulent usage of your ID can be picked up within a day or so!! So recommend to check at least every second day!!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,030,406 times
A class action seeking $70 billion to be shared across potentially 143,000,000 members of the plaintiff class.

That comes out to less than $500 per plaintiff, if all eligible class members participate. And that doesn't account for the lawyers' cut, which will be at least 30%. Probably comes out closer to $300.00 per class member on a net basis.

That's not going to be too much help to someone who had to spend $5,000 in funds and time to repair their credit and restore their identity because EFX made it far too easy for some scuzzball to appropriate their identity data in the first place. Even if that person gets their share of the settlement, they're still $4,700 in the hole.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They have way too much control and you talk about Big Brother is watching, they see everywhere you spend and sell your information. There is a lot more going on than how you pay your mtg.
I think some of the customer services are overseas as well. I hope the stick them on the wall . They are really intrusive - in people's lives.
100% correct. When I first learned about these credit bureaus and how they work, I couldn't believe it was legal. Mostly because people have very little choice in being associated with them.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,701,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Good to hear but 70 billion is not nearly enough. Freaking half the country had their identity and personal financial information stolen. Your sense of security and privacy is priceless, and this company completely destroyed all that. How much is fair compensation to each of the 140 million people who had their most private and personal information stolen from them? 70 billion is just a start. They will be paying ten times as much when all is said and done.

Exactly! It comes out to $498 a person or something stupid like that! If my information is stolen and my credit score takes a hit $500 dollars isn't going to take care of it for all the aggravation it will cause me!

BTW, you can add identity theft coverage on a homeowners insurance policy fairly cheap and it will help pay for a lawyer if your identity is stolen and you need remediation on clearing up your credit due to it!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,281,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
A class action seeking $70 billion to be shared across potentially 143,000,000 members of the plaintiff class.

That comes out to less than $500 per plaintiff, if all eligible class members participate. And that doesn't account for the lawyers' cut, which will be at least 30%. Probably comes out closer to $300.00 per class member on a net basis.
So the lawyers will be making about $21 Billion off of a settlement, sounds about right, time to go get that JD Degree!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,160,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Class action seeking to represent 143 million consumers alleges company didn’t spend enough on protecting data.
The case was filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions. Ben Meiselas, an attorney for Geragos, said the class will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dollar-lawsuit
Sadly, most of it will go to the law firm and the people who got hacked will only get 1.95 and a year of free credit monitoring.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,422,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Maybe it’s time for all the CEOs and those members on the board of directors to have “their” personal information stored online with all of their customers’ data! NOW! They’ll feel like you and I do about this problem.
Their info was most likely stolen too. If they have a credit score, they were in there.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 AM

18 posts, read 9,936 times
So is there some way we can sue them sperately to get more than the pocket change a class action will bring? What would need to be done? My credit isn't great, but I definitely think it and my information is worth way more than 450$

Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,070,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Class action seeking to represent 143 million consumers alleges company didn’t spend enough on protecting data.
The case was filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions. Ben Meiselas, an attorney for Geragos, said the class will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dollar-lawsuit
The IRS got hacked in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and millions got their data hacked.
No one sued the IRS over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies