Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:33 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Pot and Kettle....Speaking of something you know nothing about....

Neither bears nor wolves are becoming overpopulated or moving into "human inhabited areas". The issue IS a VERY big deal to Alaskans. There isn't some massive surge of human deaths due to bears and wolves, never has been. Its an attempt by the state to shift the proportional balance between predator and big game species. Humans want to shoot more of the game, not let the predators have it. That's all.
How about trophy hunting?
Is it playing role here too?

( I see Canada meanwhile is planning to ban grizzly bear trophy hunting - British Columbia Will Ban Grizzly Bear Trophy Hunting : The Two-Way : NPR )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I love animals far more than I give a hoot about people. That said, state rights should ALWAYS take precedence over federal bullcrap.
People who love animals don't like to see them killed.
So your so-called "love" that ends where potential profits begin, is just that - bullcrap.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Of course the federal government has a say in this. Federal agencies manage about 60% of the land in Alaska. Why? Because that land is designated as national forest, national park, national wildlife refuge, national monument, and national recreation area. Ever heard of the big iconic parks such as Denali, Wrangell St Elias, Gates of the Arctic, the big forests including the Tongass? They are all federally managed for YOUR benefit. Why wouldn't a federal agency which has the responsibility to manage the land responsibly be given the authority to manage it? USDA Forest Service, the National Park Service, BLM, US Fish and Wildlife Service, care for the places for YOU, not just for state residents.

The state of Alaska has management jurisdiction over state land as is proper. The problem here is that the state wants authority to permit predator culling on federally managed land as well as state land. Why did this even get to the level of the WH? Because the state of Alaska has always fought with federal agencies over management of federal land, has always resented the public laws that gave management control over these places to national level agencies, and pushed it there.

Do you really think that predators and game animals stay happily inside the boundaries of some local state or federal management unit? Are you serious? They don't. Should one agency trump the authority of another within its own boundaries? Do you really believe these federal lands aren't managed by knowledgeable local agency staffs? Many of the management issues there are unique in the US and require unique understanding and experience. At the ground/field level the managers making resource decisions work directly with state agencies, not against them. Do you really think that locally placed biologists and decision makers are less informed about their own districts than some elected representative in Congress? Where it gets contentious is in the upper directorial levels of state and federal agencies and elected representatives. You can bet your last dollar that those people don't particularly care about bears or wolves. They care about influence, about victories, about scratching each other's backs, about winning terms of office.
I'm afraid that short-fingered vulgarians don't comprehend these concepts.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Federal agencies manage about 60% of the land in Alaska."

There in lies the problem.

When a territory is granted statehood and its border are set, ALL the land within those borders SHOULD be OWNED by the state NOT the fed gov't.

"The problem here is"

you call it a problem.

I call it fed govt overreach into a states borders and jurisdiction.

Is the land within the borders of Alaska?
And Alaska is within the borders of what country?
Let me cue you in ( just in case) - the country is called the United States of America, and Alaska is PART of it.
But if I'll follow YOUR logic, I'd say don't stop on some meager wild life issues.
How about Iran?
Don't you think the State of Alaska knows better how to deal with dem Iranians than some bureaucrats in Wash. D.C. ?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This is from February from what I understand;

"What the U.S. House of Representatives did today – actually a very narrow majority of the House – was shameful. Cruel. Callous. Venal.

The vote in favor of H.J. Resolution 69, authored by Alaska’s Rep. Don Young, was 225 to 193. Those 225 members voted to overturn a federal rule – years in the works, and crafted by professional wildlife managers at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – to stop some of the most appalling practices ever imagined in the contemporary era of wildlife management. Denning of wolf pups, killing hibernating bears, spotting grizzly bears from aircraft and then shooting them after landing, and trapping grizzly bears and black bears with steel-jawed leghold traps and snares. The stuff of wildlife snuff films."

https://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne...es-alaska.html

So I'm listening to this congressman from Alaska who is going on and on about how "illegal" it was to protect the animals on the Federal reserve, thus "depriving people of Alaska of their rights." Supposedly.
Can anyone explain to me, how killing animals in their dens ( their young including) is a good thing?
What purpose does it serve, that the Congress has voted for this measure?
Am I missing something here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfyu3wDLVhk&t=254s

And I thought only Russia's "new rich" loved to hunt the Red Book animals and "train" their dogs on captive bears.
Wow that almost as horrible and disgusting as partial birth abortions and selling of baby body parts

Old 09-10-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Wow that almost as horrible and disgusting as partial birth abortions and selling of baby body parts
I'm glad you are not preoccupied with McDonald's cheeseburgers in this thread)))

Old 09-10-2017, 11:24 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'm glad you are not preoccupied with McDonald's cheeseburgers in this thread)))
Don't tell me they're shooting defenseless cheeseburgers too. For god sake they have no legs and no arms to defend themselves or run away! oh the humanity

Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Don't tell me they're shooting defenseless cheeseburgers too. For god sake they have no legs and no arms to defend themselves or run away! oh the humanity
Yes they do, all while cheeseburgers are hibernating on a shelf, peacefully wrapped in their blankets)))

Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I cant believe hunters would in good faith start killing defenseless pups and cubs and hibernating mothers,this isnt hunting but a blood thirsty obsession with the need to kill. disgusting.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:47 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I don't condone certain hunting practices by any means, but the federal government having less power and say so in Alaska is a good thing. I'm also not a don young fan but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

For anyone out there thinking the sky is falling, Alaska has very strict hunting rules and regulations and takes any illegal hunting activities very seriously. It's not a bear/wolf cub free for all killing spree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies