Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Your own link supports that there are genetic differences between human populations. It states that there are no "pure" races, which is a red herring as there exists no definition of race that even expects that a population should be pure. Race simply means a subdivision within a species. A synonym for race would be subspecies.

subspecies

a category in biological classification that ranks immediately below a species and designates a population of a particular geographic region genetically distinguishable from other such populations of the same species and capable of interbreeding successfully with them where its range overlaps theirs

Clearly human beings meet the criteria of having subspecies, but humans aren't divided this way because of political reasons. Your link points back to and supports the UNESCO statement on race, which has been used to promote the idea that race is not real. UNESCO is an explicitly political organization that is part of the UN.

Here's a video of experiments done on newborn babies from various ethnic backgrounds. There are clear behavioral differences between different races even from babies a few days old.

Talk about a boring video. From 1974 to boot. The only thing this video proves is babies are different from each other and pretty boring.

Duh. Of course there are genetic differences between people. That's why I said there is more genetic diversity between sub-Saharan Africans then outside of them.

By the way, there is no such thing as a human subspecies:
"Biologists once classified races as subspecies, but today anthropologists reject the concept of race and view humanity as an interrelated genetic continuum. Taxonomy of the hominins continues to evolve."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_taxonomy

Welcome to the 21st century. Catch up.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 09-11-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Take one thing I have said in this thread and disprove it. I'll save you the time - you can't. All I have done in this thread is point out fact. That you deem facts to be racist is on you, not me.
You have pointed out only OBSERVATION.....there are not PROOFS for the explanations, however. Your beliefs fits the definition of racism.

noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination....why would I try to disprove that when that was the conclusion of the University of Chicago polling. Your are just confirming the veracity of the poll.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com

I am not trying to disprove you.....you are demonstrating the proof of your racism. Why would I try to disprove that? The objective of the thread was to bring to light the racism on the right.....and you are PROVING it. It's not my place to try to disprove your racism.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, that was a state agency and in that state there is a thing called "nepotism" which is an ethics violation and is illegal. Nepotism means you hire your family and/or friends. In that particular state, it is illegal to hire your family members to state jobs in your agency yourself. That person hired their own daughter when the daughter had no experience working in the job at all and didn't even have a college degree. She and her daughter were fired and she was charges with an ethics violation when it was discovered.
Your example is about someone who didn't qualify vs someone who is qualified. So that's not really nepotism as much as the person not being qualified.
Hiring a B worker instead of an A worker because the B worker although qualified isn't as good a worker but got hired because of someone they know. That's where it comes into play. The unqualified workers usually get exposed.

Quote:
I've hired a lot of people and been involved in a lot of interviews. Qualifications are important but they are not the most important in someone getting hired. You can easily pull someone off the street to be a receptionist for instance. The person who gets hired usually knows someone and it is usually nepotism involved in both public and especially the private sector, because the public sector has rules against hiring family members in particular. The feds don't make all the rules either. States and local areas also have their own rules.
The private sector suffers alot more than the public sector when the less qualified candidate is chosen. The private sector business will go out of business while the public sector will just hire more people because they have access to more of our money. Quality matters more so in the peivate sector. The public sector is more likely to be about quantity.

Quote:
And contracting has no quotas in federal procurement in particular. There is never a quota for hiring minority contractors (it is against the law to favor any particular ethnic group in federal procurement). If that were the case, then 95% of federal contractors wouldn't be white/male owned firms. States and local areas however, they do what is called "set asides" and they have very aggressive AA policies to allow minority firms (including those owned by veterans who are white owned) the opportunity to only compete against each other for certain jobs or for them to get a specific percentage of the dollars spent on the state/local contracts in a particular year. Usually those set asides are not met. I've worked in this industry a number of years.
Even one job that specifically targets minority or veteran companies or individuals lowers standards by picking from a smaller pool of talent. How many of the large contracting companies are white owned vs minority owned? If 95 percent of them are white it stands to reason 95 percent of the companies hired are going to be white owned.

On top of all this, government doesn't care enough because there is little fallout from not doing the job correctly. Two examples

1. A Small Business Association review in 2012 and 2013 discovered more than 40 percent of companies that had previously received contracts through the program were ineligible to be designated as women-owned or economically disadvantaged women-owned small businesses.

The SBA does not require contracting officers to assess the validity of documents that show the small businesses in the program are at least 51 percent owned and controlled by a woman. Instead, contracting officers merely check for the presence of such documents, and only do so after awarding those businesses their set-aside contracts.

“According to SBA officials, the levels of ineligibility found during the examinations were similar to those found in examinations of its other socioeconomic programs,” the report said.

A September report from the SBA inspector general found hundreds of millions of dollars had gone to “disadvantaged” companies that didn’t actually meet requirements for the program.

2. According to the complaint, the firm was merely acting as a pass-through, winning valuable city contracts and then subcontracting the work out to nonminority companies.
Ultimately, the contracting firm was forced to relinquish its minority certification and pay $15,000 to the state. State legislators took an interest in the issue, and last year passed legislation allowing all public agencies in the state to conduct their own investigations into future allegations of minority contract fraud

Only 15,000??????

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Surely you are familiar with the fact that the peoples you so praise - all came out of Africa for ONE reason. The African was smart enough to work out the planning and travel in order to do so. This was probably the single biggest leap mankind ever made.
... where to even begin here...

First, do you realize that, at the time the "out of Africa" event occurred, human races as we see them today did not yet exist? "The African" you speak of was simply a Homo sapiens dude who happened to be living in the far northern end of Africa. Homo sapiens may have been the smartest animal on the planet at that time (although the Neanderthals were also highly intelligent) but he didn't work out and plan some big trip. He and his family just moved gradually into new hunting grounds until, eventually, they found themselves living in a new continent. Of course, there were no atlases to consult and they had no idea they had done that.

This African family was the beginning of all the non-African races, while modern day Africans are all descended from others who did not leave the continent. So yes, this was probably the single most important event in human history, dividing homo sapiens into two branches.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not trying to disprove you.....you are demonstrating the proof of your racism. Why would I try to disprove that? The objective of the thread was to bring to light the racism on the right.....and you are PROVING it. It's not my place to try to disprove your racism.
What you actually accomplish with these threads is to build the case that racism, as you define it, is simply to have an understanding of how the world works. You'd be better off moving toward a definition that stresses racial animus.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post

1. Obviously there are physical differences between people but you don't have to look to race as the reason why. Scandinavians don't exactly look like Italians but they are the "same race." And Nigerians don't look like Ethopians. But again, same "race."
Populations that are more closely related have a higher degree of physical similarity. This should be a surprise to no one. Swedes are physically different from Italians but they are more similar to Italians than they are to Ethiopians and they are more similar to Ethiopians than they are to Nigerians. All people are related with just different degrees of separation.

Quote:
2. Brain size and skull size? No idea what you're talking about. Unless you believe in that debunked 19th century philosophy of measuring your skull to see how smart you are. But people have different head sizes regardless of "race."
Yes, people from different parts of the world have different skull shapes and brain sizes. Forensic anthropologists are able to identify race just from human skulls. Here is an Australian Aborigine skull next to a European skull:

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...bindaeuro5.jpg

Quote:
3. Diseases can have a genetic component but I know of no disease that only strikes one "race" and not another.
Certain diseases are more prevalent in certain races with some genetic diseases being widespread in some races and extremely rare in other races. This is due to limited gene flow.

Quote:
4. Athletic ability? Are you suggesting that white men can't jump and are really the inferior race?
Populations from different parts of the world have different body types with some body types better suited for certain sports. 199 of the top 200 fastest sprinters are all of west African descent. East Africans excel in long distance running.

Quote:
5. Standardized test scores are a product of many factors. Mostly socioeconomics. Otherwise, Asians are really the superior "race" using your "logic."
Within races, socioeconomic factors are a good predictor of performance. When comparing scores between races, race is a better predictor of success.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...lgapfigure.gif

Quote:
6. Length of pregnancy. Never heard of that one.
Learn something new.

15 Crazy Ways You Didn't Know Race Affects Pregnancy

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
....Black people are lazier and less intelligent

Question: Why do Republicans/conservatives feel their party gets a bad rap for racism when opinion polls shows that its a deserved label? I believe that their is a disconnect because TRUTH is inherently unbiased and without prejudice and many conservatives believe that black innate inferiority is a truth....that liberals have made taboo to talk about.

It is very clear that many threads started on this forum by Republicans are just thinly veiled attacks on black people. As a white man myself I really wish these folk would hurry up and die out. They are the past, they are hate personified.

i feel a little bad for the non racist GOP supporters but it turns out they are a much smaller group than i would have thought. it turns out millions of white women were fine voting for a ***** grabbing theif who had to pay out 25 million for his theft of monies and fraud.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Wow. I've only read the first page of this thread and I already feel like I need to take a shower.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I can't find any news on the initial NORC study and I don't like leaving it (if it even exists) to the interpretation of someone who doesn't know much about research.

Much ado about nothing, it appears, although it does fit the OP's usual agenda.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Talk about a boring video. From 1974 to boot. The only thing this video proves is babies are different from each other and pretty boring.

Duh. Of course there are genetic differences between people. That's why I said there is more genetic diversity between sub-Saharan Africans then outside of them.

By the way, there is no such thing as a human subspecies:
"Biologists once classified races as subspecies, but today anthropologists reject the concept of race and view humanity as an interrelated genetic continuum. Taxonomy of the hominins continues to evolve."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_taxonomy

Welcome to the 21st century. Catch up.
Whoever wrote that wikipedia entry that you quoted is a moron. Subspecies of any species are part of an interrelated genetic continuum. All living creatures are part of an interrelated genetic continuum. That fact that something exists as part of continuum doesn't mean that it can't be identified as a separate entity, otherwise colors aren't real.

Human beings are not classified with the same criteria that other species are. That's a fact. The concept of race is highly politicized. Within the human species there is genetic variation that clusters geographically. That's what a subspecies is. Human beings meet the criteria for being separated into different subspecies, but we aren't. That was my whole point but you failed to grasp it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies