Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I know all about statistical sampling. The unemployment rate is determined from a sampling of the population. My point being is that why do you believe anything that you did not create for yourself? How do you KNOW....anything? Things that you think you KNOW....your really only TRUST OR BELIEVE, but cannot, on your own, bear witness to the truth. Hence, unless you go sample the opinion of everyone, how would you verify the veracity of your sampling?
That's nuts... to the point that it makes me feel like a nut for wasting part of my day communicating with a nut unnecessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 07:50 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Simply enough, race has absolutely no effect on education. Culture does. I know a black guy who was adopted by Japanese parents, got a 32 on his ACT and now is a doctor. His parents pushed him and pushed him to succeed. That's all it takes. The right tools and the right desire. There are always exceptions like mentally handicapped people, but race has no effect on education and intelligence.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Simply enough, race has absolutely no effect on education. Culture does. I know a black guy who was adopted by Japanese parents, got a 32 on his ACT and now is a doctor. His parents pushed him and pushed him to succeed. That's all it takes. The right tools and the right desire. There are always exceptions like mentally handicapped people, but race has no effect on education and intelligence.
I agree.

The reason the black community at large is in shamble right now is due to their cultural attitude as a group regarding what's important and what's not.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Simply enough, race has absolutely no effect on education. Culture does. I know a black guy who was adopted by Japanese parents, got a 32 on his ACT and now is a doctor. His parents pushed him and pushed him to succeed. That's all it takes.
If all it took to succeed in school was pushy parents then all children of pushy parents would succeed. They don't.
Quote:
There are always exceptions like mentally handicapped people
Intelligence levels are a continuum. We are all mentally handicapped relative to someone.
Quote:
race has no effect on education and intelligence.
No, race doesn't affect intelligence, but it does correlate with it. All groups contain individuals who vary in their level of innate intelligence from low to high, but the center (the average) for each group is different. Given the way evolution works it could not be otherwise. And yes, innate intelligence has a large effect on education outcomes.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I agree.

The reason the black community at large is in shamble right now is due to their cultural attitude as a group regarding what's important and what's not.
Hmmm... that's oddly right wing of you, Metro. Lefties are supposed to blame white racism while righties blame black culture. Aren't you failing the intersectionality test here?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I've always been upfront about my beliefs so I don't know what you are attempting to suggest. I believe that all persons should be judged by his individual merit and that there are intelligent persons among all races and groups. I also understand that there is variation within any group and that because of this variation groups will not have equal average measurements on a wide range of factors. That's reality.
This should have been the end of this thread; this is absolutely spot on. But this flies in the face of many leftist programs and ideas and it can't be allowed to be unchallenged.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Believe it or not, there are ways to gain information about a group of people without surveying every single member of the group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(statistics)

And, frankly, it is amazing that you don't seem to know this. Obviously you are very interested in this topic, you've read a lot about it, and you toss some statistics around, yet you don't have even a basic grasp of how numbers work. How is this possible?
This is an area where the left engages in scientific denial. They say the right does it with climate. Well the left does it with sociological statistics and the effect of biological traits on social outcomes.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:43 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hmmm... that's oddly right wing of you, Metro. Lefties are supposed to blame white racism while righties blame black culture. Aren't you failing the intersectionality test here?
Nope. Only the loud idiots within the left side blame racism. And they always shout down anyone who disagrees with them. At some point, most of us who can actually think for ourselves don't want to deal with the hassle of dealing with social justice warriors, aka the crazies on the left.

Here is a test anyone can perform. Point out the fact that 73% of black kids are born out of wedlock and most of them paid for by Medicaid. See what happens LOL.

I'm liberal because... Trust me if I start listing my beliefs you will find me on the extreme left of the political spectrum. The ones that endlessly blame racism for all the ills that plague the black community? They're the crazy elements of the left. Unfortunately, crazy people tend to also be the loudest.

Added by edit.

This is what we have to deal with over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0

When certain elements of the left (the crazies) try to shout down everyone else, they give us all a bad name. Unfortunately, I have this thing going on in my life called a J-O-B so I don't want the hassle of dealing with these crazies. I suspect most rational liberals don't want to deal with them, either. Probably why they are running rampant.

Last edited by MetroWord; 09-10-2017 at 11:34 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, they do this on purpose to further their conservative agenda. If poor whites can keep believing that minorities are the source of all their ills - they will continue to vote against their own interest. After all, a poor white cannot share the same problems as a poor black, now can they? Not when the poor white sees himself as inherently superior to the black population.

Even Colin Powell informed us that there is an ugly streak of racism that runs through the Republican party.
Exactly right. The GOP millionaires and billionaires have convinced their poorly educated base that the root of all their problems are blacks, Mexicans and liberals. And then they go and vote in more tax breaks for billionaires and fast track off shoring of jobs to Mexico and China.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:34 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
And what would those "patterns" be?

Before you come back with some pseudoscience; Remember - we've mapped the human genome
First published July 1, 2004:

Quote:
AbstractAt the public announcement of the completion of a draft map of the human genome (June 2000), Craig Venter, Head of Celera Genomics and chief private scientist involved with the Human Genome Project, claimed that ‘race’ was not a scientifically valid construct. This statement, based on an analysis of the genomes of five people of different ethnicities, has not served to end the considerable discussion and debate surrounding the concept of ‘race’. Using a social constructionist and critical discursive approach, this study analyses text and talk associated with the debate on the scientific validity of the concept ‘race’. Given the problematic and highly contested nature of this concept, the present research examines, closely and in detail, a range of ways in which constructions of truth are worked up in scientific discourse. In particular, we analyse the ways in which empiricist and contingent repertoires within scientific discourse are mobilized to establish and contest claims of objectivity and facticity. We also examinea range of rhetorical devices deployed by protagonists in the debate to warrant particular truth claims including quantification rhetoric and the ‘Truth Will Out Device’ (TWOD). We conclude that despite the promissory representation of the Human Genome Project as having produced scientific evidence to discredit the biological legitimacy of ‘race’, the concept is likely to persist in both popular and scientific usage.

Ananthaswamy, A. (2002, April 20) ‘ Under the Skin: Our DNA Says There’s No Such Thing as Race. So Why do Doctors Still Think it Matters ’, New Scientist 34–37 . Google Scholar
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

‘Race’ and the Human Genome Project: constructions of scientific legitimacy:

http://theracecardproject.com/wp-con...man-genome.pdf
Quote:
...Concluding remarks:

...Regardless of how ‘groups’ are defined, and no matter how small the reported differences between groups, such group differences can always be (mis)appropriated to legitimate racist and discriminatory practices. It will take much more than the rhetorical power of scientific ‘truth’ to eradicate racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies