Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 12:41 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Equality, ala Bergeron?
Great story.
Quote:
In the year 2081, amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else. The Handicapper General's agents enforce the equality laws, forcing citizens to wear "handicaps": masks for those who are too beautiful, radios inside the ears of intelligent people, and heavy weights for the strong or athletic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:46 PM

Maximization of freedom = free minds, free markets, powerful individuals, limited authority

Maximization of equality = top-down oversight, social engineering, totalitarianism and authoritarianism, identity politics, groupthink, central ownership of the fruits of production

I advocate for a world where -everyone- is as free to succeed -- or fail -- as possible.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 09-10-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 12:52 PM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Salaried workers usually don't get overtime pay. That's an hourly wage worker's gig.

And as to hiring illegal aliens... Employers can't always tell who's an illegal alien. If the illegal alien is using a fake/stolen ID and SS#, that doesn't always show up on an e-verify or a CORI background check. A lot of people have no clue their SS# is being used fraudulently because the IRS won't flag that fraudulent use or let the actual SS# owner know about it.

Oh, and by the way, illegal aliens also use those fake/stolen IDs to enroll in multiple public assistance programs for which they would otherwise be ineligible.

Secret IRS policy hides identity theft from victims - 13 Investigates - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

IRS sent $46 million in tax refunds to one Atlanta address - CBS46 News

And don't you remember how Puerto Rico had to void all the birth certificates they had issued prior to 2010 because so many of them had been used by illegal aliens as fake IDs in the US?

Puerto Rican Birth Certificates Invalid After July 1, 2010 - NBC News

You'll have to come up with a different scapegoat.
there is nothing illegal about the process- its FIXED that way exempt vs non-exempt = BS
Salary employees that work 50-60 hrs a week
teachers, bartenders 'restaurants -free prep time- clean up time
interns are free- sweeet
doing the work of more than one person- as when one leaves then you get all the duties for your same pay--
phone time - when the dam boss forgot something you know -- and calls you to explain it again. or you are on call- no extra pay--Or dinner work- as I call it working/ net working but in a social event -
not being paid your rate of pay for job performed. - I fall into this one- at 64 too late to bother - almost done
1-I can say I was in a UNION and can see WHY they exist.
2-there is enough suits against employers out there to fill up your cupboard
3- Illegals- many i-9 inspection employers fail MORE than once - they get pinged every 2 years
- don't want to go everify OH well- but its NEVER the EMPLOYER'S fault-- right?

Old 09-10-2017, 12:52 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Equality of oppurtunity is a myth as well.
Some are born stronger, some are born better looking, some are born smarter, etc. and each with their own opportunity.
should they be penalized for some abstract greater good?
Yes, there is no equality of opportunity. The Left says they want equality of outcomes, while the Right says they want equality of opportunity. Both sides promote myths that are not based in reality.

Opportunities are not always due to choice. You can't control where you are born or the traits that make you who you are. A smarter and better looking person will usually out-compete you. That's life. You make do with what you are given. You don't demand others to give to you because of your own limitations. It goes the other way as well. There are people who could never compete with you.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

This does not, of course, absolve greedy people obsessed with holding onto "every nickel I earn."
"Absolve" them of what?
I always agreed with:"For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands".
Or:"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 09-10-2017, 01:29 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Question. You know your history right? Are you ok with all the great European revolutions in history when the serfs rose up ? That was stealing right? Or does this only apply to YOU because you are a have?
This not Europe.

Anyone can be a have. The potential is there.

But all too often lazy people want what they have and the path of least resistance for them is to have it given to them. Like in Europe.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:39 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This not Europe.

Anyone can be a have. The potential is there.

But all too often lazy people want what they have and the path of least resistance for them is to have it given to them. Like in Europe.
Not everyone can be a have. Many are too stupid or too lazy to work regularly and spend their money wisely. Potential is not equally distributed. This is the reason that so many want to take from others. They know that they can't cut it.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:51 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Maximization of freedom = free minds, free markets, powerful individuals, limited authority

Maximization of equality = top-down oversight, social engineering, totalitarianism and authoritarianism, identity politics, groupthink, central ownership of the fruits of production

I advocate for a world where -everyone- is as free to succeed -- or fail -- as possible.
How does "top-down oversight" maximize equality?

Here's a question, if you're free (as in you have freedom of mind and body) and I'm not, do you live in a free society?

The answer is no, by the way. How can you live in a free society? Well, by giving me freedom.

Equality and freedom are not two things you have to choose between. You either have both or you have neither.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Not everyone can be a have. Many are too stupid or too lazy to work regularly and spend their money wisely. Potential is not equally distributed. This is the reason that so many want to take from others. They know that they can't cut it.
I only repped this comment because of your first, third and last sentences. The second and fourth sentences are canards.

It is simple mathematics that without redistribution, even if everyone worked and as hard as they could, everyone still couldn't be a have, since we have determined that different jobs get different income rates

Old 09-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
How does "top-down oversight" maximize equality?
If your highest goal is maximization of equality, you're going to need significant watching, loads of central power and planning, and lots of strong authority enacting myriad measures in order to try and make it so. In short, you'll have to seriously, continually, and progressively curtail liberty and individuality.

A goodly amount of my life choices and the hours in my days have been attempts to create inequality -- to do the things that are best for me, as an individual in control of a single life, and to work harder or innovate so as to achieve more and participate in mutually-beneficial exchange with other free humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies