Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, which scenario should be the correct response:

1. I am awarded $250,000 because there was an error.

2. The company apologizes and corrects it to $1,000.
Oh give it up already. If this situation happened to you, you would sue & you know it. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh give it up already. If this situation happened to you, you would sue & you know it. End of story.
I'm guessing Pedro has screwed up in the past and send out confidential info to the wrong people and thinks that there should be no consequences for that.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The hospital would never have been fined the $387,000 if the patient gave them the wrong fax number to send it to. The fine only happens after the investigation is complete.
Wrong, they get fined if they sent the wrong party the information. Doesn't matter if the patient gave the wrong number or not. If the patient gave them the wrong number, they still get a fine. HIPAA laws don't require who is right or wrong, it only requires if you gave health information to the wrong party... it only punishes, it doesn't care about circumstances...

Old 09-11-2017, 01:07 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I look at every piece of paper I send out to people before I fax or email it, to make sure it's what I end to send. I'm a lawyer, not a clerk, and that's part of my job. I'm not saying I'm perfect and I never make mistakes, but it's still part of the job to take the time to send the right thing.

Not to mention that when you are dealing with private health information and sensitive and confidential personal information, then it's especially incumbent on individual employees and institutional processes do be in place to double check things.

If you can't grasp this fact, then I hope you never have access to anyone's private information because you clearly lack the understanding of appropriate handling of it.
Ah, a lawyer. That explains why you want these huge paydays.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
And you just lost the argument with this desperate spin.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I worked for the insurance companies/policyholders (defendants), not the plaintiffs. I can still recognize and acknowledge a valid claim when I see one.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Because they might have sex with their co-workers? Do you know anything about HIV transmission?
"Do you know anything", period?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Do you know anything", period?
She knows that you know nothing about HIV transmission.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Wrong, they get fined if they sent the wrong party the information. Doesn't matter if the patient gave the wrong number or not. If the patient gave them the wrong number, they still get a fine. HIPAA laws don't require who is right or wrong, it only requires if you gave health information to the wrong party... it only punishes, it doesn't care about circumstances...
That doesn't make any sense. Any number that the patient says to send it to is the right number for the hospital to send it to. No hospital is going to be punished for an error the patient made. In this case it was the hospital that made the error not the patient.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Any number that the patient says to send it to is the right number for the hospital to send it to. No hospital is going to be punished for an error the patient made. In this case it was the hospital that made the error not the patient.
The patient never told them to fax the records to anyone, they were supposed to be mailed out. The error was by the hospital in faxing them in the first place, and then secondly, faxing them to the patient's work email rather than the medical practice they were supposed to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies