Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What are we to think when the news shows young black people looting a shoe store in the wake of hurricane Irma?

I bet those ignorant neo nazi white supremecists people are patting themselves on the backs with pride that they are partly right. With such evidence it is not hard for say a member of the KKK to make a case about hate and segregation from other races.

I know it is not all black people who are criminals just like it isn't all muslims who are terrorists but time and again what do we see on the news, black people looting for no reason except they are given the opportunity and terrorist attacks by someone who worships allah?

What are we to think when we see these misguided ignorant kids looting? Is it racial profiling when everyone who is acting up is of one race?

I say there is no excuse to break into a shoe or electronics store and their actions are hurting race relations in this country.

Irma looters busted after getting filmed by TV crew | New York Post

Irma: Florida police arrest dozens after looters ransack homes and businesses following hurricane curfew | The Independent

I think it is really sad how the actions of a few can hurt the prospects of others but a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.

Not all muslims are terrrorists, a few bad apples....well it is that small number of radical islamists that have beheaded, crucified and otherwise murdered the large majority of christians in the ME.

Small numbers and a few bad apples doesn't excuse the widespread crime created. Just as most crimes and gun violence are committed by the same people who are in and out of prison.

Activists tell us how 'all blacks feel' and when any response references 'all blacks' the charges of racism and bigotry are leveled.

Given BLM promoting death to cops and cops actually being killed, it creates a tinder box where emotions flare. So any cop who la dee das up to a perp, suspected perp or 911 call, is a cop with a death wish.

The media is the propaganda machine for the leftist dem party, liberals and activists, when they show primarliy black people looting, it is because they have a hard time finding alternatives.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I pray for these people.
I pray, too, that these lowlifes are caught, prosecuted, and see significant prison time.

You should be praying for the store owner that got victimized by a crowd of animals.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:46 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wasn't this the same issue in New Orleans after Katrina? Did they intend to eat TVs and Nike shoes?
I recently cut back on Nike shoes.

Heard they were high in sodium.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
When i see a store being looted and its full of white people doing it, I will worry about it being members of the KKK.

KKK / militia guys are too busy being inbred hillbillies and taking over empty grazing fields to loot stores.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
As a black person, I do shake my head when I see the footage of black looting after natural disasters. Unfortunately, it is what it is. Sterotypes exist for a reason.

The only thing I don't like about it is that for many people in rural America who don't interact with many black people in their every day lives, all they know of about blacks is what they see on TV. Which is teen "thugs" with baggy jeans, looting a shoe store.

So many (not all, of course) just believe what they see in TV, and that all black people have a tendency to be criminals or are "bad." They don't get to meet people like me, an educated, friendly, kind black person that always opens the door for people and says "please" and "thank you" to everyone I interact with.

So when they show young black kids on TV looting a store, while it does make me sad that a certain percentage of blacks continue to fit the sterotypes, I also know that is is reinforcing those stereotypes for rural Americans who don't live around many black people. So they think all blacks are like that. Which is obviously not the case.

Also, not always saying this is necessarily the case, but newspaper/internet article captions do show the bias sometimes:
I've been having to squash that claim for over ten years now. how time flies.

Quote:
“He saw the person go into the shop and take the goods,” Stokes said, “and that’s why he wrote ‘looting’ in the caption.”

Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What are we to think when the news shows young black people looting a shoe store in the wake of hurricane Irma?

I bet those ignorant neo nazi white supremecists people are patting themselves on the backs with pride that they are partly right. With such evidence it is not hard for say a member of the KKK to make a case about hate and segregation from other races.

I know it is not all black people who are criminals just like it isn't all muslims who are terrorists but time and again what do we see on the news, black people looting for no reason except they are given the opportunity and terrorist attacks by someone who worships allah?

What are we to think when we see these misguided ignorant kids looting? Is it racial profiling when everyone who is acting up is of one race?

I say there is no excuse to break into a shoe or electronics store and their actions are hurting race relations in this country.

Irma looters busted after getting filmed by TV crew | New York Post

Irma: Florida police arrest dozens after looters ransack homes and businesses following hurricane curfew | The Independent

I think it is really sad how the actions of a few can hurt the prospects of others but a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.
Like most racial issues, this is actually class based, not race based. I don't know what the well-to-do Black neighborhoods in Atlanta are called, but I know they exist & I bet there's no looting there? Similarly, if a hurricane ripped through Appalachia & there was a chance to run amok through Cabella's, I bet a lot of poor White people would have new trucker caps, chamo & fishing rods.

Poor people loot. Poor people are street level drug dealers. Poor people drive cars without the proper paperwork or a valid license. Poor people have kids that fail in school. Poor people use drugs in public. Poor people have domestic disputes. Poor people get arrested at higher rates. Poor people get shot by the police. The exact same reason that poor Blacks are profiled (and rightfully so!) by the police, or that there's a higher % of being shot while resisting arrest, or falling behind in school, is the reason we see poor Blacks looting after disasters. It's poverty, not a genetic disposition.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Like most racial issues, this is actually class based, not race based. I don't know what the well-to-do Black neighborhoods in Atlanta are called, but I know they exist & I bet there's no looting there? Similarly, if a hurricane ripped through Appalachia & there was a chance to run amok through Cabella's, I bet a lot of poor White people would have new trucker caps, chamo & fishing rods.

Poor people loot. Poor people are street level drug dealers. Poor people drive cars without the proper paperwork or a valid license. Poor people have kids that fail in school. Poor people use drugs in public. Poor people get arrested at higher rates. Poor people get shot by the police. The exact same reason that poor Blacks are profiled (and rightfully so!) by the police, or that there's a higher % of being shot while resisting arrest, or falling behind in school, is the reason we see poor Blacks looting after disasters. It's poverty, not a genetic disposition.
So, we are moving on from blaming a person's race to people who are poor. And, you are not correct about the poor. Seriously, did you read what you wrote.

I live among poor people, grew up poor in an area where 1/3 of the population was black. I have no idea where you get your misinformation about poor people, but you are wrong, and equally guilty of profiling. I have also lived all over the country, been in the military and worked in a number of jobs. I know people, all kinds of people.

So, do some of the posters here not have a clue about anything outside their own little cubicle?

People that feel deprived steal despite their "demographics"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi.../#3c3e9a202aff and https://www.pri.org/stories/2012-02-...al-study-finds

Seems like the real question is, "Why is it acceptable for the rich to cheat and steal, many times from the poor, and yet wrong when the poor do it?" It is always wrong except in the minds of those that are racists, and/or generally living off of the labors of the poor people who they are so critical of. Rich people don't get rich without exploiting others, think how the poverty industry benefits them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_industry

What makes price gouging OK? Because of the race of the people that are doing it, and I bet the majority are not black. So, when it comes to stealing/cheating, making over based on the this natural disaster, we sort by race to see if it is right or wrong? https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/almo...y-general.html and Hurricane Harvey price gouging complaints include $99 for water | Fox News

I find the trashing of blacks and/or the poor at C-D to show a general ignorance about the world by those that do it. We could also include some others that constantly get ripped here because of a general ignorance. Trying to make any headway with people so set in a certain frame of mind is generally useless.

I believe that God did not intend for one race, gender, economic class, etc. to be considered superior to any other, yeah, not a Christian and proud of that, but equally proud of not being a liberal. I see so many incidents used to try to justify racism, the reality is that there are none.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Some people will always insist on living the stereotype. Ignorance is a choice and it is sad how many chose to be ignorant.
Looting for food for your children is perfectly understandable. Looting for TV's etc? That just feeds the stereotype.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I've been having to squash that claim for over ten years now. how time flies.
So out of everything I said, that's all you've got to address?

I assume you agree with the rest of what I said then....right? I noticed you only addressed the small portion of my post in which you felt you could refute....

Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Some people will always insist on living the stereotype. Ignorance is a choice and it is sad how many chose to be ignorant.
Looting for food for your children is perfectly understandable. Looting for TV's etc? That just feeds the stereotype.
Taking food after a length of time AND when no help is in sight is understandable. Taking it on the first or second day or when you know emergency services are on their way OR taking things not directly food related (booze,soda etc) is not, it's just plain old looting.
None of the current storms are at the Katrina level of incompetence or lack of response so there's no, NO excuse for looting other than to enrich oneself at others expense.

Looters should be shot on sight, the first one or two would end the whole game of hang out and "discount shop" during a storm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies