Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:15 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times

Advertisements

Trump takes a bashing, and I could say there are so many ways in which he deserves it.

Obama took a bashing before him, and people will say he deserved it.

Clinton, the Bush's, Carter, etc - all got bashed. And for the most part the bashing depended on what side of the fence you were on and not with blinders on just looking at the individual.

Politically I believe a majority stand behind a party platform (in general) and not a specific individual (POTUS). The debates rage on regarding all of the details of the specific line items each party stands for and how a POTUS approaches each. But in the big picture, you either believe in the left or right ideology which forms the base of your opinion before you even look at the POTUS.

As social media, the internet, regular media all continue to expand their reach it's just easier to see all of the bashing, which in fact has been happening for decades if not centuries. It gets personal, but with our two party system this will always happen where every POTUS will be under attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM

173 posts, read 170,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Trump takes a bashing, and I could say there are so many ways in which he deserves it.

Clinton, the Bush's, Carter, etc - all got bashed. And for the most part the bashing depended on what side of the fence you were on and not with blinders at just looking at the individual.

Politically I believe a majority stand behind a party platform (in general) and not a specific individual (POTUS). The debates rage on regarding all of the details of the specific line items each party stands for and how a POTUS approaches each. But in the big picture, you either believe in the left or right ideology which forms the base of your opinion before you even look at the POTUS.

As social media, the internet, regular media all continue to expand their reach it's just easier to see all of the bashing, which in fact has been happening for decades if not centuries. It gets personal, but with our two party system this will always happen where every POTUS will be under attack.
+100000000000000

You are correct!

Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:

Clinton, the Bush's, Carter, etc - all got bashed. And for the most part the bashing depended on what side of the fence you were on and not with blinders at just looking at the individual.

Yes, but have you seen the amount of Fake News in the media for nearly two years... they lost and can't seem to get over it... if it's war you want, its war you get... at some point, the media needs to apologize for lying to the public but I don't think they have backbone to do that...

Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 731,624 times
Quote:

Clinton, the Bush's, Carter, etc - all got bashed. And for the most part the bashing depended on what side of the fence you were on and not with blinders on just looking at the individual.

Is this part of a thesis or a blog? If no one knew this to be true before your post, I shudder at the thought your announcement will be some great epiphany for the masses at this time in our history.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yes, but have you seen the amount of Fake News in the media for nearly two years... they lost and can't seem to get over it... if it's war you want, its war you get... at some point, the media needs to apologize for lying to the public but I don't think they have backbone to do that...
I was watching Hurricane Irma coverage yesterday. Jim Cantore standing outside with winds >100MPH with a high risk of a projectile which would kill. People watch. It's exciting. It's business. Viewership. With politics the media is ruthless. Some media outlets are obviously lean to one side or another, and it's quite difficult to get bi-partisan down the middle reporting. Media apologize? Never. People watch and it's fuel for debate fires. Sad really, which is why I watch less and less news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle de Guerra View Post
First of all, Trump isn't a traditionally ideological politician. If he was, he wouldn't have cut a funding deal with the Democrats after 9 months.

Second, the left/right paradigm isn't as useful as it used to be in describing politics. Modern politics is better described by rural/urban, elite/non-elite and globalist/nationalist.

Interestingly, Trump himself is urban and elite, but mostly represents the views of rural, non-elite nationalists.
Whether Trump himself is traditional or not, he became POTUS on the rights platform, with an entirely right congress. Thus his guidance is driven by the right, and whether he waivers or not it's still grounded on that side of the fence.

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
I'm not that ideological. I lean left but I dislike Trump for his personality and corruption, and Hillary's situation stank almost as badly to me.

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Aside for all the rhetoric, POTUS has more or less operated as an independent who just looks out for american citizens best interests. In my opinion, he's doing a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle de Guerra View Post
First of all, Trump isn't a traditionally ideological politician. If he was, he wouldn't have cut a funding deal with the Democrats after 9 months.

Second, the left/right paradigm isn't as useful as it used to be in describing politics. Modern politics is better described by rural/urban, elite/non-elite and globalist/nationalist.

Interestingly, Trump himself is urban and elite, but mostly represents the views of rural, non-elite nationalists.
You think he represents the views of rural, non-elite nationalists? Gimme a break. He knew how to win the election is all. Trump is very much the opposite of what you said. You're not paying attention or you don't really know Trump.

He ran on promises to do certain things that could have been done years ago by many in his party. All of a sudden he comes in and it gets done? No, it doesn't. It's the trickery you have fallen for. Just like many other Americans.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Is this part of a thesis or a blog? If no one knew this to be true before your post, I shudder at the thought your announcement will be some great epiphany for the masses at this time in our history.
Based on the continued barrage of individual threads picking apart everything from legislative decisions to the color of Trump's underwear, I sometimes wonder

Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Based on the continued barrage of individual threads picking apart everything from legislative decisions to the color of Trump's underwear, I sometimes wonder
Yeah but those threats don't come folks who matter. Where as when Obama was POTUS they did...they hindered him. Trump is not being hindered by his party. He's lashed out at them and for the life of me you think he's their kind? Trump is the "Trump" kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies