Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Florida's problems haven't even completely begun yet.
I wouldn't call anyone a hero this soon.

And there is a hell of a lot of difference between the mayor of a city and the governor of a state. The comparison is both very premature and very ridiculous. Junk topic, top to bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngh100 View Post
I dont have a problem with saying someone did a good job during a crisis but why are places like houston, prone to massive flooding time and time again, and florida coastal areas growing and growing. All these politicians love growth and development because they can pad their economic numbers with housing starts,construction jobs etc, but the federal taxpayer is going to have to pick up the bill for all these people wanting a piece of paradise.

We are talking hundreds of billions of dollars of damage because of irma and harvey. Joel Myers, president of AccuWeather, predicted on Monday the cost of Irma and Harvey combined could reach a total of $290 billion!

All so people can live in places large amounts of people shouldnt be living in!
I think you raise a lot of valid points above, however, I disagree that people should not be living in these coastal areas from TX to FL. These coastal areas are absolutely critical to the economy and commerce of the entire country, from the huge percentage of this nation's plants and refineries, to the reality that the Ports handle much of the tonnage of the goods everyone in this country buys everyday. So, there's that very real consideration.

Rather, I think there needs to be a balanced approach that recognizes, and even demands, that the price for allowing such growth and development needs to be borne by all stakeholders- municipalities, developers and even property owners. If that mandates changes be made to building codes and infrastructure, so be it.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-12-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
one thing is for sure, there have been no Kathleen Blancos or Ray Nagans running around acting the fool....

Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
I am not a fan of Governor Scott--quite the opposite, in fact. However, I watched the lead up to Irma and was impressed with how he handled this impending disaster. I will give him kudos where he has earned it, and he did here.

Shame on the OP for trying to turn this into a political thread, but no one who is familiar with his posts expects anything else from him. Good for everyone responding not to rise to the obvious bait.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Got to give him some credit here. First it was the east coast of Florida and then it was the west coast of Florida.
The state stayed on top of things, kept the southbound lanes southbound to get in gas and post hurricane responders.
They also started evacuations early.

I think Houston should have evacuated the low lying areas of town that flood all the time.
Telling everyone to stay was probably the wrong move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's all over the map, and thousands of homes that never flooded before flooded during Harvey. We had two days people. What part of that does not compute?
katygirl and goodnight are right on this. sky, remember that florida had plenty of arning that the hurricane was coming, where as houston had two days warning. o lets say you were in houston at the time, and given two days warning and the need to evacuate 2 million people, given the traffic snarl that can be the houston freeways. would you rather shelter in place, or run the risk of being caught on the freeways in gridlock when the storm hit? its your choice my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I am not a fan of Governor Scott--quite the opposite, in fact. However, I watched the lead up to Irma and was impressed with how he handled this impending disaster. I will give him kudos where he has earned it, and he did here.

Shame on the OP for trying to turn this into a political thread, but no one who is familiar with his posts expects anything else from him. Good for everyone responding not to rise to the obvious bait.
well said there.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
katygirl and goodnight are right on this. sky, remember that florida had plenty of arning that the hurricane was coming, where as houston had two days warning. o lets say you were in houston at the time, and given two days warning and the need to evacuate 2 million people, given the traffic snarl that can be the houston freeways. would you rather shelter in place, or run the risk of being caught on the freeways in gridlock when the storm hit? its your choice my friend.

well said there.
only thing I would add is, there are 6.8 million people in the metro area so its moving more than 2 million...even if you focus on the "low lying areas"

Plus those that need to move are to the south of Greater Houston which means moving several million THRU the otherwise heavily populated areas before you even get them to roads leading north or east of the city.

I agree with you just pointing out the situation is worse than just 2 million people... which a a huge thing by itself.

I do think the mayor would even look back and see some areas to improve but considering the decision made with the information and time frame available, he did nothing egregiously wrong.

lets keep in mind between 90 and 120 people died BEFORE Rita hit, DURING the evacuation.
so far 75 people have died due to Harvey and a bunch of those were outside of the Houston area.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
OP is just making another Republicans good/Democrats bad thread....

Nothing to see here
Yes but its becoming quite a normal occurrence... I blame the Russians! /end sarcasm

Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42rejQP9y0A

Incredible governor. It is amazing how polished Rick Scott was when it came to this hurricane.

Several days before the hurricane he was already coordinating in a heroic, highly effective and brilliant manner.

All this Mayor Sylvester Turner is defending his administrations horrific response. For days and days the meteorologists were sounding the alarm on Houston. Sylvester Turner decided to ignore it.

I watched his press conferences and all he did was demean desperate people and tell them very
dismissively that they were doing the best they can.

While Rick Scott gave a long list of numbers for people to call for help, Sylvester Turner was
nearly mocking people who were crying for help from the floodwaters of his cities lacking
infrastructure.

Visit Houston and see what has been the horrific response. 3 days of non stop rain yet city is back in its feet within 3 days.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngh100 View Post
I dont have a problem with saying someone did a good job during a crisis but why are places like houston, prone to massive flooding time and time again, and florida coastal areas growing and growing. All these politicians love growth and development because they can pad their economic numbers with housing starts,construction jobs etc, but the federal taxpayer is going to have to pick up the bill for all these people wanting a piece of paradise.

We are talking hundreds of billions of dollars of damage because of irma and harvey. Joel Myers, president of AccuWeather, predicted on Monday the cost of Irma and Harvey combined could reach a total of $290 billion!

All so people can live in places large amounts of people shouldnt be living in!

Read more here: Harvey, Irma relief will cost hundreds of billions, and Congress could be reluctant to go along | The Tribune
How come people never seem to say that about California with their earthquakes, wildfires, droughts, and mudslides when it does finally rain? Or up north along the Mississippi River when it floods? Or tornado alley, which covers multiple states? Or the entire east coast, which is prone to hurricanes?

No place is perfect.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Not a fan of Scott's either, he's far too conservative for me. But so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies