Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:41 AM

10,818 posts, read 4,372,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Op-ed argues that Congress should amend the War Powers Act

The saber rattling currently taking place between the White House and North Korea makes clear that it's time for Congress to close a dangerous loophole, write two op-ed writers in the New York Times.

We Need to Curb President's Power to Launch Nuclear War: Opinion
I trust President Trump a lot more than I trust Congress.
I don't trust Congress at all.
No amendment is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,741,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear,
You can only speak for yourself, not the rest of the USA.

You guys lost. Time to move on.
I said most of us "liberals" - I'm not sure if your misrepresentation was deliberate or just a lazy reading, but I wasn't attempting to speak for the rest of the USA.

Even so, you're right -- I can't say I speak for all or most liberals, but my perception is that the opinion I expressed is how most of us feel. Sure maybe I'm wrong, but I'm speaking to what I'm observing. To my perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yep. If the self proclaimed Cersei Lannister had been elected, it wouldn't have bothered them at all.
Cersei vs. the Mad King, what a choice eh? Though I don't find the idea of a Hillary presidency nearly as sinister as the rest of you make it out to be.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM

45,484 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Funny how this "one person shouldn't be able to launch a nuclear strike on his own" only comes up with Republican Presidents. Every single one going back to Eisenhower.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Funny how this "one person shouldn't be able to launch a nuclear strike on his own" only comes up with Republican Presidents. Every single one going back to Eisenhower.
I've only voted for Democrats so far, but I like to think I would've voted for Eisenhower had that election occurred in my lifetime. One of my favorite Presidents...

Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I've only voted for Democrats so far, but I like to think I would've voted for Eisenhower had that election occurred in my lifetime. One of my favorite Presidents...
Yeah, right.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Indeed.

The only President to drop an atomic bomb on people was a Democrat too.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right.
The Interstate Highway system under his administration was one of the best examples of smart government spending we've ever seen. I didn't vote for McCain/Romney/Trump, but I love Ike. Given the 1952 electoral college map, it wouldn't be a surprise for someone of my upbringing and background to have gone that way back then. It's an obviously impossible hypothetical, but I at least love the historical Eisenhower.

His warning against the rise of the military industrial complex was also awfully prescient.

But yeah, carry on being a wise ass. You folks are good at that.

Edit: I gotta say I find you Trump supporters' responses hysterical. Everything amounts to

"Hillary lost, get over it."
"Too bad, go away."
"Shutup, go away"
"Nobody cares what you think."
"Yeah, right."

You're like an army of 6 year-olds

Last edited by Valhallian; 09-14-2017 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
The Interstate Highway system under his administration was one of the best examples of smart government spending we've ever seen. I didn't vote for McCain/Romney/Trump, but I love Ike. Given the 1952 electoral college map, it wouldn't be a surprise for someone of my upbringing and background to have gone that way back then. It's an obviously impossible hypothetical, but I at least love the historical Eisenhower.

His warning against the rise of the military industrial complex was also awfully prescient.

But yeah, carry on being a wise ass. You folks are good at that.

Edit: I gotta say I find you Trump supporters' responses hysterical. Everything amounts to

"Hillary lost, get over it."
"Too bad, go away."
"Shutup, go away"
"Nobody cares what you think."
"Yeah, right."

You're like an army of 6 year-olds
Since I didn't vote for Trump I guess you didn't mean to direct your above screed at me. You forgot to call me any one, or all, of the following:
Mouth breathing
Toothless
Meth using
Trailer park dwelling
Sister ****ing
Inbred

I'd rather be a wise ass than a dumb ass.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:59 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Whatever you've heard on the media, he can't. This from an officer on a nuclear submarine, who was part of the "launch" process.
Yes, the president can. I heard a piece about it on NPR a few weeks ago & let me tell you, I was shocked. I really thought it had to be a joint effort. I don't think any president, just one person, should have that authority.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:02 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes, the president can. I heard a piece about it on NPR a few weeks ago & let me tell you, I was shocked. I really thought it had to be a joint effort. I don't think any president, just one person, should have that authority.
Truman, a Democrat, and the only President to have ever used atomic weapons, set the precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies