Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,587,989 times

Advertisements

Ernie and Bert are evil too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjQHeQH5eY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,722,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
KISS, Knights In Satan's Service was the common belief
Oh yes I remember that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I still do, and that sort of reaction isn't something I ever had to deal with as a kid in Australia, even with Christian parents. Is it a uniquely American phenomenon?
It really wasn't that big of a deal. My parents never objected to my musical tastes at home. However, I attended a private school that got caught up in all the hysteria and decided they needed to try and "scare some sense" into us by bringing this guy around to talk to us about it. I remember some of the kids believed what he was telling them and went home crying. I assume they went home and threw out their "devil music".

Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,101,253 times
I remember all of the publicity this nonsense got- way over exaggerated. However, satan is real, and and at any time all of us are either following his influence or that of God. Denying the existence of either is the same as following satan. His greatest advantage is that many folks don't believe he exists.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:01 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,102,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Bands as in plural? Which bands did that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Chaos_(book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfB3QXVHRE

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
The priests, along with the rest of the hierarchy, need Satan or why would anyone bother to spend money to feed the priests and all their golden papal glory.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,822,733 times
Interesting article but it seems like he was more inspired by paganism and viking lore than Satanism. In fact with a quick read through on his article in wikki it would seem like he would reject Satanism, as it is an offshoot of Judeo-Christian faiths, and he harbored extreme nationalist/nazi views with a focus on the lore of his Scandinavian heritage. Embracing Satanism would directly contradict those views.

I mean I know that for some special people anything that is not the exact same fundamentalist religious sect that they are automatically equals Satanism, but for everyone else it is a bit of a stretch to paint a Norse mythological and cultural nationalist as a Satanist... they come from entirely different root belief systems.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 09-14-2017 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM

776 posts, read 392,228 times
It's interesting how, although the satanic panic was pushed by the evangelicals, it's the Democrats who did things like strengthen movie rating enforcement, create sex offender registries, try to censor nudity, push for a national drinking age, establish zero tolerance schools, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Vivid memory. Going to see an R rated movie. (Scarface?) there was a dad in front of me with a ~15 year old boy. The dad asks why it is rated R. The ticket guy says because of language and violence. The dad nods and buys the ticket for his son saying something like, "as long as there is no nudity"

Killing and 99999999999 uses of is okay but his will be scarred for life if he sees a nipple.
In the "conservative" 1980s, it was normal for PG movies to show female nipples, but today, the movie theater would be on the sex offender registry for showing the movie.

Last edited by redguitar77111; 09-14-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 03:27 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,708,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Interesting article but it seems like he was more inspired by paganism and viking lore than Satanism. In fact with a quick read through on his article in wikki it would seem like he would reject Satanism, as it is an offshoot of Judeo-Christian faiths, and he harbored extreme nationalist/nazi views with a focus on the lore of his Scandinavian heritage. Embracing Satanism would directly contradict those views.

I mean I know that for some special people anything that is not the exact same fundamentalist religious sect that they are automatically equals Satanism, but for everyone else it is a bit of a stretch to paint a Norse mythological and cultural nationalist as a Satanist... they come from entirely different root belief systems.
Even members of the church of Satan will say publically that they don't worship or believe in Satan. But to a Christian, if you are anti-Christian, you are on team Satan anyways.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:54 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
The Satanic thing isn't all just hype. I've seen it up close and personal, at concerts, and in everyday life as both a teenager and an adult. The 80s were my ...prime years, as t were, and this devil chasing stuff was actually quite in vogue with young people. Going for the ultimate shock factor in their show of rebellion.

It wasn't uncommon to hear stories on the local news of decapitated animal and bowls of blood to be found around town. Usually in some place they were sure to be seen. This hasn't been such a thing for quite a while now. It fizzled out in the early mid 90s. Haven't heard so much as a pathetic peep since...oh, 92 or 3 maybe.

The OP s quite long, and seems to be looking for something. Sorry to say, I don't think there's much of that to be found. I do remember back in the 70s there was some flap over this Satanic drivel. As the hippy generation petered out and the disco phase was looking for a subculture to shock the older generation. Plain old atheism is what's considered stylish these days. But it uses the same tack. Demeaning faith, hardcore statements on issues that involve it. Same old, tired (and often really disgusting and nasty) rhetoric.

If anyone id going for the shock factor with me they best pack a lunch. may be a Christian, but 've seen to much to be shocked anymore.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The Satanic thing isn't all just hype. I've seen it up close and personal, at concerts, and in everyday life as both a teenager and an adult. The 80s were my ...prime years, as t were, and this devil chasing stuff was actually quite in vogue with young people. Going for the ultimate shock factor in their show of rebellion.

It wasn't uncommon to hear stories on the local news of decapitated animal and bowls of blood to be found around town. Usually in some place they were sure to be seen. This hasn't been such a thing for quite a while now. It fizzled out in the early mid 90s. Haven't heard so much as a pathetic peep since...oh, 92 or 3 maybe.

The OP s quite long, and seems to be looking for something. Sorry to say, I don't think there's much of that to be found. I do remember back in the 70s there was some flap over this Satanic drivel. As the hippy generation petered out and the disco phase was looking for a subculture to shock the older generation. Plain old atheism is what's considered stylish these days. But it uses the same tack. Demeaning faith, hardcore statements on issues that involve it. Same old, tired (and often really disgusting and nasty) rhetoric.

If anyone id going for the shock factor with me they best pack a lunch. may be a Christian, but 've seen to much to be shocked anymore.
I know that's right ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies