Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Because they are instigators hoping to either be ultimately viewed as victims or martyrs for their causes.

Personally, I hope that there aren't any protests and that the people who disagree with them simply ignore them.
Protesting and barring them from appearing gives their nonsense too much currency, certainly much more than they deserve.
Better to let them speak and prove how idiotic their beliefs are than to give them another chance to play victims.

And I say this as the parent of an undergrad at Berkeley who happens to agree that they should be allowed to speak.
It seems to work well for conservatives. You rarely, if ever, hear of them protesting a liberal speaker coming to the area.

None of us would be talking about this Shapiro guy if his tour did not include Berkeley. I dont blame him. I blame Berkeley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
^^^^
I believe 8won6 is right. Going to Berkeley is like trying to start a fight, hasn't there been three or four protests now were people were hurt. I know if a college like this was in Houston, our police wouldn't waste time on such B.S and would tell them to move it to another location or stop this B.S. Not because they support the students but because Houston routinely deals with over 200 murders a year and has less police officers per capita than Chicago over a much larger area. A place like Berkeley which is a small relatively crime free place can tolerate this but a real big city wouldn't tolerate this. It isn't the cons fault that Antifa are idiots but you really can't allow this, when their are other locations were this can be held and at this point it seems the commentators are purposefully trying to get people hurt.
Oh I see, so you lose your constitutional rights if others create a scene or throw a violent tantrum?

Actually had Berkeley put their foot down the FIRST TIME these punks rioted instead of running away I don't think we'd be having this conversation. Anti-Faa and to some extent BLM continue to do what they wish because they're getting the message from city/school administration that either they agree or are too afraid to do anything...
What are you going to do/say when some group decides what you say they don't like?

Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Absolutely. That is 100% their motive.

As you said, they could have spoken anywhere in the country. Yet they chose to go back to Berkley, the very where conservatives are often blocked from speaking, and things got ugly.

Their motive is ABSOLUTELY to stir up trouble and hopefully cause a scene. It will feed the conservative propaganda machines, they will feast on it.

It's unfortunate that the ANTIFA thugs cannot contain themselves and protest peacefully, and I'd hope they would allow these people to speak....but we'll see what happens.

I wish that more republican/conservative talking heads would speak out against this. Everybody politician, American citizen, and City-Data poster knows that Bannon, Coulter, Milo, and Shapiro strategically sought out to speak at Berkley again in hopes of stirring up controversy and possibly violence. They expect there to be trouble, and they want the negative press for ANTIFA and "the left." They should be ashamed of themselves.

Of all the venues they could have chosen to speak at across the nation, they chose Berkley.
You need to stop posting here because you're stirring up controversy,hate and divisiveness with what you say. Maybe you should go post on a progressive website?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ok, so they are not shouting FIRE in a crowded movie theater.

But they are placing a bunch of matches and cans of gas on the ground with instructions.

I think I get it.

Funded by Billionaires and an org who also has Steve Bannon making their movies, these a-holes get up on stage and give the finger to the protesters. That's a great way of starting a dialog.

Younger minds are easily molded - which is why they have been used for cannon fodder throughout history. The Billionaires know this so they give tens of millions to these Hate Groups. For them, getting a single convert is worth 100 "normal" people....because if they can find another child to go and talk Hate (and pay them big in the process), they have succeeded.

Ah, the USA - where money=votes and worldviews.
They aren't shouting fire. Antifa is causing the fire. THEY are to blame, as well as the police that could actually protect people who want to listen to the speakers. This is NOT the speakers' fault.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Because they are instigators hoping to either be ultimately viewed as victims or martyrs for their causes.

Personally, I hope that there aren't any protests and that the people who disagree with them simply ignore them.
Protesting and barring them from appearing gives their nonsense too much currency, certainly much more than they deserve.
Better to let them speak and prove how idiotic their beliefs are than to give them another chance to play victims.

And I say this as the parent of an undergrad at Berkeley who happens to agree that they should be allowed to speak.
That's the point. Folks like Milo and Coulter aren't coming here to debate in good faith - they're provocateurs with an objective. It's to dare folks and getting publicity for their antics.

That said, UC Berkeley isn't obliged to provide them with a forum like they insist. Free Speech simply means you can't be prosecuted if you speak out. It's not free if it costs the university money to provide all the extra security and arrangements just because the speakers are provocative. And as a taxpayer of California, I'm not crazy about footing the bill for a bunch of cranks who got dough and want to spout off their rants.

So perhaps sure if they foot the bill for the extra security, go ahead.

You want free speech? Go out on a soapbox in London's Hyde Park. That's for free. And you'll get the hecklers for free, too.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking Bannon, Coulter, Milo, Shapiro to speak at Berkeley campus

That sounds like a VERY festive event.

Supporters should show up to sell cotton candy and popcorn balls.

Fun for the whole family!

Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's the point. Folks like Milo and Coulter aren't coming here to debate in good faith - they're provocateurs with an objective. It's to dare folks and getting publicity for their antics.

That said, UC Berkeley isn't obliged to provide them with a forum like they insist. Free Speech simply means you can't be prosecuted if you speak out. It's not free if it costs the university money to provide all the extra security and arrangements just because the speakers are provocative. And as a taxpayer of California, I'm not crazy about footing the bill for a bunch of cranks who got dough and want to spout off their rants.

So perhaps sure if they foot the bill for the extra security, go ahead.

You want free speech? Go out on a soapbox in London's Hyde Park. That's for free. And you'll get the hecklers for free, too.
Actually Berkeley accepts federal and state funds so yes, in fact they do have an obligation to let them speak just as they let all the left wingnuts speak. We won't even mention that a University is EXACTLY the place where divergent views should be aired, otherwise it's just another indoctrination center. Well, the latter explains Berkeley to a tee.

As for paying for extra security? That was a demand by Berkeley last time when Coulter was supposed to speak and it was arranged. Still didn't matter, they stopped her.

It seems to me you're fine for paying for speech you like, just not any other so in fact no, you don't believe in free speech of any kind...

Old 09-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That sounds like a VERY festive event.

Supporters should show up to sell cotton candy and popcorn balls.

Fun for the whole family!

Along with body armor,masks and milk to wash off that pesky pepper spray! Butter milk available at an extra charge so it sticks, protecting one's skin leaving it silky smooth...

Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
here is the full schedule.

Sunday, Sept. 24 : “ Feminism Awareness Day ”

· Miss Elaine

· Lucian Wintrich

· Lisa DePasquale

· Chadwick Moore

· Milo Yiannopoulos

Monday, Sept. 25 : “ Zuck 2020 ”

· Heather Mac Donald

· Monica Crowley

· Sabo

· Jordan Peterson

· James Damore

Tuesday, Sept. 26 : “ Islamic Peace and Tolerance Day ”

· Michael Malice

· Raheem Kassam

· Katie Hopkins

· Erik Prince

· Pamela Geller

· David Horowitz

· Milo Yiannopoulos

Wednesday, Sept, 27 : “ Mario Savio is Dead ”

· Mike Cernovich

· Charles Murray

· Ariana Rowlands

· Stelion Onufrei

· Alex Marlow

· Milo Yiannopoulos

· Steve Bannon

· Ann Coulter

Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh I see, so you lose your constitutional rights if others create a scene or throw a violent tantrum?

Actually had Berkeley put their foot down the FIRST TIME these punks rioted instead of running away I don't think we'd be having this conversation. Anti-Faa and to some extent BLM continue to do what they wish because they're getting the message from city/school administration that either they agree or are too afraid to do anything...
What are you going to do/say when some group decides what you say they don't like?
If the KKK started protesting me and other people with opinions like me and led to violence because I had to go to the most pro-KKK conservative area of the most conservatives metropolitan area in the country. I should be arrested for inciting violence, especially because three people like me had done it before. Again the first two times it isn't their fault but if ignoring happens a third or fourth time you need to be arrested. I like Shapiro (not his opinions but his arguing style and the way he supports everything he says with evidence at least on economic issues) and surprised he would do this.

Also crowd violence is the safest way to not get arrested because....
Often the amount of crimes or violations committed in crowds quickly overwhelms any force of police that isn't at least half the size of the crowd and Berkeley cannot supply that many cops.
Because crowds cause people to act irrational and it is backed by science you could argue that someone who commits a crime as part of crowd violence should get off with a slap on the wrist as they often do as scientifically proven humans almost 100% of the time lose themselves in a violent crowd. That is why at places like Berkeley an all A-Student with honor roll who has no record of even a detention can end up punching and attacking a conservative counterprotester and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies