Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 03:09 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Except I see the "libertarians" winning in the end and all safety nets, including basic income gone, all so no one "has to fund deadbeats" 😟
Then they will perish along with the rest of us. But I hope you're wrong about that.

There are always going to be deadbeats. So what? There are deadbeats now. They will have to survive on the basic income and nothing more. If they want anything more they'll have to find a way to earn it. But they will not have to steal to survive, and it sure beats having to support them in prison.

Meanwhile, all the millions of people who are right now toiling away at meaningless jobs will be free to start their own businesses and be creative.

In the life most of us are living now we are little more than drones, toiling away for the privilege of being allowed to eat and have a roof over our heads. A very few in the top income brackets reap the benefits of the labor of the vast majority of the rest of us. As a species we are capable of so much more. AI and automation and machine learning, along with basic income, would free up humanity to reach a much higher potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Then they will perish along with the rest of us. But I hope you're wrong about that.

There are always going to be deadbeats. So what? There are deadbeats now. They will have to survive on the basic income and nothing more. If they want anything more they'll have to find a way to earn it. But they will not have to steal to survive, and it sure beats having to support them in prison.

Meanwhile, all the millions of people who are right now toiling away at meaningless jobs will be free to start their own businesses and be creative.

In the life most of us are living now we are little more than drones, toiling away for the privilege of being allowed to eat and have a roof over our heads. A very few in the top income brackets reap the benefits of the labor of the vast majority of the rest of us. As a species we are capable of so much more. AI and automation and machine learning, along with basic income, would free up humanity to reach a much higher potential.
Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side, but I picture us losing in the end

Old 09-15-2017, 03:20 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

Its nice that you have such hope for humanity but I am not so sure.

I think you only have to look at providing basic income and life on Indian Reservations to see how it might turn out. The Rez which I have been on many times in different locations, unfortunately when you take away goals and responsibility you end up with drug and alcohol abuse and obesity. People die young on the rez.

If everyone got a guaranteed income and never had to work what the need be of getting an education? I think the drop out rate would go sky high.

Another example would be kids of wealthy parents who never have to work or show any responsibility. They often get into trouble and have substance abuse issues.

Sure some will rise above there will always be self motivated people.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:31 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
unfortunately when you take away goals and responsibility you end up with drug and alcohol abuse and obesity. People die young on the rez.
The Utopia the LEFT so wildly obsesses over is not compatible with the human condition.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:37 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
While it sucks for jobs, it's good business.
If people don't work how are they going to eat. All these corporations are either going to bring us to communism or serfdom. We are in the late stage phase of capitalism.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If people don't work how are they going to eat. All these corporations are either going to bring us to communism or serfdom. We are in the late stage phase of capitalism.
See post #255

Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
See post #255
Its possible already so many people are in prison in the US. Its possible the elites could make it illegal not to have a job and slowly just round everybody up.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I think the left wants something like what they have in Cuba. Everyone is equal but poor.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I think the left wants something like what they have in Cuba. Everyone is equal but poor.
I think the left just wants people to have healthcare and food. We have more houses than homeless people enough food for 12 billion people. Yet our system allows those to go without thats a huge structural flaw with capitalism. Capitalism is profits over human beings.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I think the left just wants people to have healthcare and food. We have more houses than homeless people enough food for 12 billion people. Yet our system allows those to go without thats a huge structural flaw with capitalism. Capitalism is profits over human beings.
People in prison have healthcare and food.

In Cuba, they have free health care and food. And $50 a month. And for decades they have risked death and imprisonment to swim over to greedy capitalist America. Why? Their basic needs are covered?

We had the Soviet Union and Mao's Red China. We have Belarus, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea.

All anti-capitalist.

Show me the country without any capitalism that has worked now or in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies