Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:02 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times

Advertisements

I stopped in my local McDonalds today and saw these. No clue when they got them, but now they only have 1 cashier and it is only for those paying for their order with cash.
Attached Thumbnails
Fighting for ? New robot taking over in fast food spots-kiosk.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 02:31 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
A story came out a while back about the burger flipping robot. Well its official. The robot will take over the burger flipping duties in a 50 restaurant chain in California. Perhaps the few people still needed in food service will get their $15 per hour.

Fighting For $15? New Robot Taking Over In Fast Food Spots « CBS13 | CBS Sacramento

“We are excited about the impact Miso’s AI-based solutions will have for the restaurant industry,” Miso’s David Zito said. The CEO added that their creation will likely push workers out of their current jobs.

“Humans will always play a very critical role in the hospitality side of the business… We just don’t know what the new roles will be yet in the industry.”

“The kitchen can be entirely automated,” Miller said. “We really think of ourselves as a technology company that happens to sell cheeseburgers,” he added.
It's not really flipping burgers. It's basically a hot plate conveyor type of machine which burger patties go in and are cooked when they come out the other side. I think this burger cooking machine is not there to eliminate the human workers, but more to assist the human workers in getting their job done. With the name like "Miso", it sounds like it cooks with hot water.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I stopped in my local McDonalds today and saw these. No clue when they got them, but now they only have 1 cashier and it is only for those paying for their order with cash.
Hmmmm, interesting. Lots has changed since I was in high school and working at McDonald's for extra spending money. So if there is something not right with the order, who do we talk to? I guess there will be a 1-800 number to call which goes to a call center half way around the world.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Hmmmm, interesting. Lots has changed since I was in high school and working at McDonald's for extra spending money. So if there is something not right with the order, who do we talk to? I guess there will be a 1-800 number to call which goes to a call center half way around the world.
I'm assuming you talk to the runner (of whatever title they have) who brings you your food.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
It was going to happen anyway, ATM machines and self checkouts have been around far longer than talk of $15 an hour. While it sucks for jobs, it's good business.

Large companies like McDonalds don't give a crap about its employees anyway, they are a means to an end.
Franchisees own and run the McDonalds locations, and they are NOT LARGE COMPANIES, and most of them have small margins. McDonalds is mostly a real estate company.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 PM

716 posts, read 393,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
At some point we'll either have to deal with a ton of people that can't find work or force businesses to hire folks or pay extremely high taxes for their robots which would make them want to hire people in their place.

I realize many of you judge these jobs as beneath you and look at the folks that work them the same way. Unfortunate view point but I realize a prevalent one. Thing is, I'd rather people work these jobs than see them all go away. Trying to screw folks out of jobs to gain a bit of productivity and keep profits rising for a short period is very short sighted.

At some point we are going to have to do something about automation or our entire economic system will crumble from the bottom. You can't just play Monday morning QB like we did on manufacturing and let all these service jobs go away.

Naturally we'll do nothing and in 50 years we will likely have a lottery for **** jobs that millions will apply for. Working, any job, will be a badge of honor because they'll be ****ing scarce.
Great point and have wondered about it myself. It's the same with self serve aisles or kiosks at stores and restaurants. In reality, I can't see our government stopping any of this progress, but as of now I see no way around the approaching crisis automation is bringing us. So I have no idea how or what anyone is going to do about it.

It's only going to get worst. As we go forward and our science and knowledge progresses, the number of jobs being replaced will increase at an ever growing rate. Our technology is improving and evolving so much faster than either our social structures or our ability to control our birthrate.

But burger flippers, grocery checkers and ordering kiosks at restaurants are one thing, what scares me is losing our higher paying jobs that ultimately provide so many lower paying jobs. Have you seen the commercial of the little girl growing up inventing cleaver little items and ends being so proud of her automated turbine blade inspection machine? When I see it, I'm not proud of the little inventor, I just think of the thousands of high paying jobs that just went down the tubes...

Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Great point and have wondered about it myself. It's the same with self serve aisles or kiosks at stores and restaurants. In reality, I can't see our government stopping any of this progress, but as of now I see no way around the approaching crisis automation is bringing us. So I have no idea how or what anyone is going to do about it.

It's only going to get worst. As we go forward and our science and knowledge progresses, the number of jobs being replaced will increase at an ever growing rate. Our technology is improving and evolving so much faster than either our social structures or our ability to control our birthrate.

But burger flippers, grocery checkers and ordering kiosks at restaurants are one thing, what scares me is losing our higher paying jobs that ultimately provide so many lower paying jobs. Have you seen the commercial of the little girl growing up inventing cleaver little items and ends being so proud of her automated turbine blade inspection machine? When I see it, I'm not proud of the little inventor, I just think of the thousands of high paying jobs that just went down the tubes...
The INvention Secrecy Act of 1951 was supposed to 'suppress' new technologies that would could potentially have a negative effect on large industries or the economy, its why we do not see cars with crazy high MPGs, its not because they cant do it, its because allowing such technology to be accessed and used would be very destructive to the global economy ( threat to the energy industry and all the jobs it supports).

We are kind of at a technological level, where any new technology has the potential to be destructive to industry, the economy, or Govt authority. Its why we see tech plateaus in many areas (cell phones are a great example). Eventually it ends up stifling innovation just for the sake of keeping things the way they are. If this mentality was used 100 yrs ago, we would all still be using horse and buggy, and the motorized car would have been seen as too much of a threat to the old industry and suppressed.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Fighting for $15? New robot taking over in fast food spots (solutions, Sacramento)
Henry Ford started it, and the world never looked back.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM

50,273 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So this means the cost of food will go down ,right?

No.
Neither will it go up removing illegals.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:22 PM

46 posts, read 24,295 times
This hurts people looking for their first job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies