Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 PM

30,137 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
What are you talking about? I just said menial tasks will eventually be automated regardless of the MW. Learn to read.

Quantum leap in technology? LMAO. Self-checkout has been around for decades, its not exactly super duper cutting-edge high technology. But you seem to be pretty astonished and amazed by it.
Too funny.

The quantum leap is just happening now I was not referring to self checkout. I am not amazed by it but I do use it whenever I can. Looking up produce can be a pain though!

The labor activists did shoot themselves in the foot with the $15 fast food push. It did motivate tech startups to create products to replace those people and fast food companies to try them out. Perhaps its all happening 5 years faster. Its ironic that states like California the workers will likely be replaced first. You can deny the connection to this but its pretty obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Too funny.

The quantum leap is just happening now I was not referring to self checkout. I am not amazed by it but I do use it whenever I can. Looking up produce can be a pain though!

The labor activists did shoot themselves in the foot with the $15 fast food push. It did motivate tech startups to create products to replace those people and fast food companies to try them out. Perhaps its all happening 5 years faster. Its ironic that states like California the workers will likely be replaced first. You can deny the connection to this but its pretty obvious.
That is 5 years of hundreds of thousands to millions of jobs eliminated faster.

Automation is a Capital Expenditure. Corps approve them based on payback years, when the payback period is fast enough to make it worthwhile to tie the money up. Higher MW = Much faster payback period.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
There are millions of people who don't have the skills or talents to even hold down a job. Right now there are millions more who are only barely employable but robots and AI will soon have them collecting unemployment. We all know this mass unemployment is coming, yet there are still a large number of idiots who think that the United States needs more unskilled laborers let into the country.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Eventually, the top 0.1% will have created an automated system for enriching themselves, from farm & mine to mansion.

Everyone else will be thrown out of the economy and left with nothing. All of the world's natural resources will be owned and controlled by the 0.1%, and they will have an automated military to protect those assets from the 99.9%. If the 99.9% ever become a significant threat, they will simply be eliminated by said automated military. Children being born today will live to see it.
Hold on a minute. Someone is still going to have to buy things. The .1% as you call them can't be the only consumer.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Talk of raising minimum wage definitely sped it up. These chains did not want to do this for some time because they wanted their dollars going to other things. It costs millions to develop decent apps for ordering on your phone, for example. There's new technology to determine wait time in drive thru lines. All kinds of things they would have preferred spending on, while leaving the human element intact for a while.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Talk of raising minimum wage definitely sped it up. These chains did not want to do this for some time because they wanted their dollars going to other things. It costs millions to develop decent apps for ordering on your phone, for example. There's new technology to determine wait time in drive thru lines. All kinds of things they would have preferred spending on, while leaving the human element intact for a while.
True but the advancements are happening exponentially. Pretty soon AI will be inventing the technological advancements in AI and robotics and the cost of these things will drop quickly.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Stop spending money at fast food services that have robot AI's ...

That'll learn 'em dern 'em. But will people do that ? ... no.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Stop spending money at fast food services that have robot AI's ...

That'll learn 'em dern 'em. But will people do that ? ... no.
No. I prefer kiosks. Faster, more accurate service.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
A few years ago, we had 3 million cashier positions.

I doubt we will have 300,000 by 2022.

2.7 million people out of chairs in the employment musical chair game.
And that trend has been occurring regardless of the MW and long before the $15 campaign.

A self-checkout machine doesn't cost much more than a regular point of sale register. But with the former you don't have to pay it a salary, and no payroll taxes. Even if the minimum wage was just $5 an hour it makes financial sense to go with the self-checkout machine. It's like getting free labor.

Would you rather pay $15,000 a year annual salary each to two part-time human cashiers, or get a self-checkout machine that can do the job of both for virtually nothing? Other than maybe a couple thousand a year for maintenance. The machine pays for itself after the first year or two.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No. I prefer kiosks. Faster, more accurate service.
I agree. Its not my problem to keep people employed in jobs that are becoming obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies