Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 05:27 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times

Advertisements

Shooting missiles is losing its shock value. Trump is keeping his yap shut on this so far and dealing with it diplomatically - the right way to do things. Considering his coming to his senses on DACA and the deficit as well, one has to wonder if they changed his medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,310 times
Currently the Japanese navy mounts more destroyers/frigates than France and Britain combined. They are planning/building 4 new helicopter carries which is making the Chinese very nervous.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:49 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Personally, I think the political squabbling is unhelpful, on both sides. I don't blame Obama or Trump (especially the latter) for not single-handedly ending a very difficult issue. This isn't a republican or democrat issue. We're all on the same team here. Geez, was there this much political one-upmanship during WWII or did people just focus on defeating the enemy?

I am interested in this perspective... what do you think can or should be done?
There are several excellent threads in the preparedness thread about being prepared. We are fortunate that we have a home on an island, with an abundance of water, food and power. Good neighbors, ability to fish for food and plant large gardens.

Mostly We are focusing on being psychologically prepared for war. Recognizing that many human beings could die, as very painful and sad but thus far We are also able to come to terms with that as we recognize that in spite of efforts for peace, it may be the only option for stopping a madman. A few years back I visited family in England and it came so hard to me how close Hitler and his monsters were to capsizing democracy. 30 miles. Thank GOD for Sir Winston.

I see Trump as the same man in place for a reason just as Churchill was. We are not deluding ourselves and if we respond to NK actions China may get involved as well. Freedom of Modern Civilization means it would seem to defend ourselves against these heinous cretans who want to dominate us. At this point, I am resigned that this despite many noble intentions from previous presidents war is coming.

So my formula is sadly simple.

Psychological Preparation - Food - Water - Room for family and friends - Defensible Home - Weapons - Ammunition - Lots of Ammo.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
NK is as much of a threat to the US as I am to one of those UFC guys.

But don't let that dull your anxiety.

You remind me of the geezer who dared Mt. St Helens to take him from Spirit Lake.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You remind me of the geezer who dared Mt. St Helens to take him from Spirit Lake.
Harry Truman. I remember that morning well. My neighbor was a KOMO TV videographer who had a premonition the morning of the eruption so he drove to Mt. St. Helens and arrived just as the mountain blew. He thought he would die and so recorded what he believed would be his final moments.
He survived and won a Pulitzer.

Ken

Old 09-15-2017, 06:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Talking Analogies just aren't your thing.

Quote:
The thing is, Mt St Helens was really ready to erupt and experts warned him to get out before it's too late.

NK isn't going to erupt. No experts are warning anyone to prepare for the apocalypse.

That'll cost your team 15 yards.

But your prepping will serve you well whether or not Kim nukes us.

But he won't.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um, that ain't gonna happen.
CHINA is the growing milary power in the Pacific - NOT Japan.

Ken

Sure they are,however Japan is not going to sit by and let the Pacific become a Chinese lake. This is from over 3 years ago............ Japan's Smaller Military Could Match China - Business Insider

Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The thing is, Mt St Helens was really ready to erupt and experts warned him to get out before it's too late.

NK isn't going to erupt. No experts are warning anyone to prepare for the apocalypse.

That'll cost your team 15 yards.

But your prepping will serve you well whether or not Kim nukes us.

But he won't.

...and if you're wrong?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Sure they are,however Japan is not going to sit by and let the Pacific become a Chinese lake. This is from over 3 years ago............ Japan's Smaller Military Could Match China - Business Insider
That's all well and good. As I admitted, Japan's military IS very capable. However, the Chinese military is growing and modernizing too - much faster than the Japanese military is.
So what exactly has Japan actually DONE to keep the Pacific from becoming a "Chinese Lake"?
China keeps expanding its influence throughout the Pacific and building artificial islands to serve as air bases. I've not seen Japan do anything about it - and they likely won't.

Report: China's Military Capabilities Are Growing at a Shocking Speed | The National Interest Blog

Ken

Old 09-15-2017, 07:01 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Cool You can worry about it. I won't.

Quote:
...and if you're wrong?
Then your bunker will serve you well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies