Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

"BEN SHAPIRO: Here's the deal... I paid a $15,000 security fee. If this goes down, it is all on you. I have already called for no one who is a supporter of mine to engage in violence, even defensive violence...

We're going there with the approval of the Berkeley administration. We have every right to be there. You have every right to attend. Don't act violent. I want the world to know -- I want America to see the police do their jobs. They charged us an arm and a leg for security. Let's see if they run away and allow antifa to have its way...

Whoever the higher ups here are doing a garbage job... The left uses the rioter's veto to try to establish these fascist safe spaces."

Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Yes, there are many different perspectives on this campus of 20k students. This is a political view, though. I'm not even trying to talk about political views. I'm talking about rioting, violence, and safety - and the fact that the university is right to prepare for these things. The university (and certainly not me) is not blaming the conservative speakers, like the OP is suggesting. We are blaming the extremists who react poorly and lewdly to this event.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:24 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
It's not "people" -- it's democrats.
Liberals speak all the time, and republicans never riot or beat them up......
Democrat doesn't always equal liberal.

Antifa is a whole other problem.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
...where has all the dem leadership been denouncing this crap for the last few years...
Perhaps putting up normal human defense mechanisms against accusations that this represents all Democrats.

Nobody's more outspoken about the regressives and Antifa than I am (check history), but I promise it's better for normal reasonable workaday Democrats to agree it's bad than to try to paint them as complicit in the growth of these bad ideas and violence and give little to no space for agreement.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Ben Shapiro coming on stage now

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._berkeley.html

Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
None of the Dems I know justify these protests - so no, they're not indicative of all Dems. It's the loons on the far left.

But I agree with Uncle Bully that those loons have moved people closer to the middle as they hijack the rest of the party.

And Democratic pols don't seem to have a damn word to say against any of this, and that tells me plenty.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's not true at all. These people are very political. Read their material. Do some just like to smash things? Probably, but I bet most are dedicated to their politics.
Have you been to one of these riots in Berkeley, or from what experience are you saying "These people are very political"? I've been there for several of these incidents and, yep, I grab the leaflets, hear the screaming, hear the banter. Some are political, some aren't. The ones who are, are devout anarchists. But the ones who aren't are still happy to shout "down with the system" or something to fit in so they can stay there and create chaos.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
None of the Dems I know justify these protests - so no, they're not indicative of all Dems. It's the loons on the far left.

But I agree with Uncle Bully that those loons have moved people closer to the middle as they hijack the rest of the party.

And Democratic pols don't seem to have a damn word to say against any of this, and that tells me plenty.
To be fair, Pelosi has spoken out about this. Pelosi on violent Antifa members: Lock them up | Fox News

More should speak out, but I suppose it may not feel as immediate to them as it does to her since this hits close to home.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Have you been to one of these riots in Berkeley, or from what experience are you saying "These people are very political"? I've been there for several of these incidents and, yep, I grab the leaflets, hear the screaming, hear the banter. Some are political, some aren't. The ones who are, are devout anarchists. But the ones who aren't are still happy to shout "down with the system" or something to fit in so they can stay there and create chaos.
They're anarchist communist revolutionists. The fact that politicians like Bernie Sanders tell them that they're victims and their pixie dust fairy tales of the country being a huge commune are remotely practical is a disgrace.

Last edited by cttransplant85; 09-14-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Yes, there are many different perspectives on this campus of 20k students. This is a political view, though.
It directly addressed free speech, as in, free speech shouldn't be allowed. It's very relevant to tonight's festivities. Look at the signs and chalk drawings that are already up tonight -- anti-free speech all the way. Remember the iconic image from the spring of the Berkeley Antifa guy burning the "free speech" flag? Some people are against free speech but won't use violence. Some people are against free speech and WILL use violence.

I've mentioned this a few times, so I'll quote myself:
Quote:
I was watching various Youtube vids the other day and there were some interviews on the Berkeley campus following the riots. One guy explained that free speech had its role in the past and it was useful as it led to us looking at all the ideas and figuring out the right direction for society to take and figuring out the truth and stuff. But free speech has served its purpose and is obsolete now as it can only be used to detract from the correct path through the use of hate, misinformation, and attempts to stir up trouble.

It struck me as the clearest explanation I've ever heard for why the 16-24 year olds who are against free speech feel that way. Horribly misguided, but quite clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies