Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you say the Pledge - out Loud - with hand on heart?
Never 102 80.31%
once per day 13 10.24%
once per week 6 4.72%
at least once per month 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I hang my flag every morning but it never crosses my mind to say the Pledge of Allegiance or break into song singing the National Anthem.
Hopefully you don't do your daily "constitution" before or afterwards - although reading the Constitution is allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Not never, but close to it.
On a rare occasion, I'll go to a meeting or something where the pledge is used. I don't mind giving the pledge, but there aren't many opportunities in my life where it's done.

I have never heard of any business giving the pledge as part of their routine at all. None. I've never heard of any biz that did. I thought the mention was odd.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Of course you're not going to say the pledge unless you're in elementary school. Whats the point of this? Do I think we should do away with it in school? Absolutely not! It's patriotic and unifying.
Ah, so just school and kids? Not foosball games or polo matches?
Not at city council meetings? Zoning board?

I'm just trying to do some research as to why people are so angry that a foosball player whose ancestors were bought and sold under the Flag may not want to say it.....

I'm fine with it. I'm also fine without it. That is, if I feel like reciting it I will - if I don't I won't.

But I certainly won't judge anyone on their "say or nay" of it.

Maybe I'm the odd duck but I feel that Actions speak MUCH louder than words. A protestor at a foosball game, IMHO, is doing a LOT more for the TRUE American Way than a Congress Critter who recites it and then goes to work stripping health care from 20 million Americans.

Just my take.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The point is clear.

Many here have claimed they are going to boycott those terrible traitors that don't recite in during a billion dollar corporate-sponsored taxpayer funded (stadiums) party......

Yet, at the same time they themselves don't recite it - meaning according to their own definitions, they are unpatriotic to the max.

Very telling, IMHO. The old hypocritical thing rearing it's ugly head again. Expecting things from other that you don't do yourself.

This goes hand in hand with all the other "holier than thou" stuff of the Right - family values, homophobia and Islamophobia, etc. etc. etc.

They like to talk a good game but when it comes to spending time to honor their country with a 1 minute pledge - they'd rather binge watch TV.

1. Don't watch football.
2. Don't care who salutes/recites or doesn't salute/recite anything.
3. My only phobia is acrophobia
4. Don't own a TV. Wait. That's a lie. I do own one. A 17" fake wood panel sided one that's somewhere in my attic.

ok, guess this post isn't about me then.
carry on.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
I responded with, "once per day", but I teach in an elementary school.

I will add that we say it the correct way without pausing between "nation" and "under".

Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
They made us do it in school. Then Watergate dragged down Nixon. Done.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
You would if you belonged to a Rotary Club.
I know a grand total of zero people in a rotary club. [shrug]

Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I responded with, "once per day", but I teach in an elementary school.

I will add that we say it the correct way without pausing between "nation" and "under".
So pausing between those words is incorrect? I never knew that. I also have never paused between those words.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Pledge? Not since grade school. I go to attention for the Anthem regularly, though.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Pledge? Not since grade school. I go to attention for the Anthem regularly, though.
I went to military school. I want to see your "attention". If there isn't about 6 folds in your chin and you aren't wearing 3 layers of uniform (for heat punishment), it ain't real......

OK, 25 hours of marching (in all weather) on the quadrangle for you....

Yeah, thinking of those City Council meetings - never was there a bunch of lower class criminals than that crew - and they recited it religiously. Hand on Bibles too.

I wonder if it works out that those who practice these dances more often actually do less for their fellow Americans and the world? We'd need a better study for that and I don't have the money.

So if anyone knows a think tank that wants to front some Koch money this way, I accept bitcoin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies