Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
All of this talk is irrelevant when you bring up Londons murder rate and compare it to America's murder rates. In fact Londons murder rate is lower than most lily white suburbs in America, London homicide rate last time I checked was 0.89 per 100,000. The white homicide rate in America is 2.5 per 100,000, the black homicide rate and Hispanic homicide rate is much higher. Americans can't talk about violence in the U.K when the entire city of London with all its good and bad areas is beating even the wealthy regions of our country by murder rate. New England is the only area of the country that even has a rate as low as Londons.
Problem is you can't directly compare US homicide rate and UK. All suspicious deaths in the US are recorded as homicide unless or until the cause is known. Only known homicides are recorded in the UK (i.e. a body is determined to have had a cause of death involving another participant).

That's not to say the UK'S homicide rate isn't lower than the US but if you compare like for like (i.e. active homicide investigations, or homicide convictions) there are a number of regions of the US with lower homicide rates than the UK.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
How many people live in London?
How many heads are rolling down the cobblestones?

How warped is your sense of fear?
Turn your satire filter on.......or......do you not have one?

To answer your question, I have absolutely no fear of a terrorist attack where I live. We have big time drug cartel guys to worry about en mi ciudad. They have heads rolling down the cobblestones too. There appears to be danger everywhere these days.

We is getting meaner, we is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Problem is you can't directly compare US homicide rate and UK. All suspicious deaths in the US are recorded as homicide unless or until the cause is known. Only known homicides are recorded in the UK (i.e. a body is determined to have had a cause of death involving another participant).

That's not to say the UK'S homicide rate isn't lower than the US but if you compare like for like (i.e. active homicide investigations, or homicide convictions) there are a number of regions of the US with lower homicide rates than the UK.
The reason why I compare the UK and the US rates is because KKK identity is the only crime that is comparable worldwide. If a victim has obvious stab wounds they don't just say suspicious death it is a fact that the only place in the U.S as safe as the U.K is in New England. That is why 90% of British cops don't even carry a firearm on them. Suspicious deaths wouldn't matter in this comparison because not only do they make up an insignificant amount of death sentence this talk is about Muslim violence which isn't supposed to be under the scenes. I have looked this number up many times and London murder rate is clearly lower than all states but the predominantly rural New England State of New Hampshire. Even if we added another 10% on for suspicious deaths New Hampshire which is a rural state is the only state with a murder rate the same as London and the other New England states have a murder rate of 1.6-2.0 on average which is more than twice Londons annual rate these days. This is completely ignoring the fact that London is a city of 10 million, their is zero areas of 10 million or or even 5 million people that are as safe as London by murder rate their maybe a few areas between 1 million and 3 million with that low a murder rate like Fairfax County+London County or Southern Orange County but hose areas are rare and next to impossible to find in the U.S. I still love he U.S high murder rate anencephaly all but I hate when right wingers fear monger about Europe when they don't even have to carry guns for christs sake to do police work. When the U.S even approaches that level of safety then we can start complaining.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
There appears to be danger everywhere these days.
There is
But, how much?

Not that much.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
How lucky you are to live in an area where there is "not that much." Must be nice. Besides cartels, we also had a big bust in my little podunk town, on some middle easterners, of what persuasion I know not, who had the most remarkable stash of weaponry you could imagine. Small, out of the way places are a good spot for planning nefarious ambitions of any sort.

However, my cardiologist is Sikh, my primary care dr is Hindu, and my surgeon is Muslim. I love them dearly and these terrorist kind of guys make it hard on the good guys like them. The problem is you can't always tell the good guys from the bad.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:19 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
How lucky you are to live in an area where there is "not that much." Must be nice. Besides cartels, we also had a big bust in my little podunk town, on some middle easterners, of what persuasion I know not, who had the most remarkable stash of weaponry you could imagine. Small, out of the way places are a good spot for planning nefarious ambitions of any sort.
Yes.
We're lucky to live in "the west" where it is pretty safe.
Even London is pretty safe.

I live in one of America's most violent cities, according to some list.
I feel very safe.
Even in places where crime rates are high, there's not a lot of crime.
Note: if the above sentence confuses anyone, please think about it 4 or 5 or 10 times before telling me that you're confused by it. And, please state that it is YOU who are confused by it, not that it doesn't make any sense. Because it absolutely makes sense.

Quote:
However, my cardiologist is Sikh, my primary care dr is Hindu, and my surgeon is Muslim. I love them dearly and these terrorist kind of guys make it hard on the good guys like them. The problem is you can't always tell the good guys from the bad.
Do you have black friends as well?

What is the point of this? You can't tell good muslims from bad muslims?

My doctor is white. I also can't always tell good guys from the bad.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
All of this talk is irrelevant when you bring up Londons murder rate and compare it to America's murder rates. In fact Londons murder rate is lower than most lily white suburbs in America, London homicide rate last time I checked was 0.89 per 100,000. The white homicide rate in America is 2.5 per 100,000, the black homicide rate and Hispanic homicide rate is much higher. Americans can't talk about violence in the U.K when the entire city of London with all its good and bad areas is beating even the wealthy regions of our country by murder rate. New England is the only area of the country that even has a rate as low as Londons.
Exactly, London could (should?) have a LOT more Islamist terror deaths and nobody should care or talk about it until they start to approach US murder rates, which won't be for a long time, so we should all ignore this kind of story.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:59 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
The reason why I compare the UK and the US rates is because KKK identity is the only crime that is comparable worldwide. If a victim has obvious stab wounds they don't just say suspicious death it is a fact that the only place in the U.S as safe as the U.K is in New England. That is why 90% of British cops don't even carry a firearm on them. Suspicious deaths wouldn't matter in this comparison because not only do they make up an insignificant amount of death sentence this talk is about Muslim violence which isn't supposed to be under the scenes. I have looked this number up many times and London murder rate is clearly lower than all states but the predominantly rural New England State of New Hampshire. Even if we added another 10% on for suspicious deaths New Hampshire which is a rural state is the only state with a murder rate the same as London and the other New England states have a murder rate of 1.6-2.0 on average which is more than twice Londons annual rate these days. This is completely ignoring the fact that London is a city of 10 million, their is zero areas of 10 million or or even 5 million people that are as safe as London by murder rate their maybe a few areas between 1 million and 3 million with that low a murder rate like Fairfax County+London County or Southern Orange County but hose areas are rare and next to impossible to find in the U.S. I still love he U.S high murder rate anencephaly all but I hate when right wingers fear monger about Europe when they don't even have to carry guns for christs sake to do police work. When the U.S even approaches that level of safety then we can start complaining.
Speaking as a natural born Brit. You're talking out your backside.

Consider for 10 deaths aged 20-50 in the US with no history of medical issues, day 1 there are 10 homicides, subsequently it may fall to zero if autopsy shows natural causes or suicide noyes are found, if neither of these occur they remain as homicides (note clearance rate of US homicides is around 60%)

The same 10 deaths in the UK day 1 has zero homicides, subsequently it may rise from autopsy (or other evidence) to 10 homicides, only if evidence is found that the body may have been killed will it be considered a homicide, if no evidence is found then the body will never be considered a homicide.

UK conviction rate for homicides is 93%, that's not just cleared, but leading to conviction, the US solely clearance rate is 60% indicating the huge discrepancy between the methods of collating homicide.

And you're right this isn't the topic but you raised it. For close to 20 years I've been studying the differences in US/UK crime rates and methods, so I'm not making junior mistakes.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 PM

423 posts, read 186,521 times
I'm a European and I have to tell you I'd rather live in a high-crime US city like New Orleans these days than in the statistically safe city centers of London, Paris, Cologne or Barcelona. Why?

In the US, despite the high general crime rate, you know which parts of big cities one should avoid. In the UK and Western-EU cities these days, you never know when and where the next terror event will happen, it's totally random. The crime is not between opposite gang members like in US ghettos, instead it is aimed at the innocent people, tourists, women, school children in the most evil, heartless way.

In the EU, there is a new terror attack every week since 2015. It's comforting to say that 'we're not afraid' and that 'we continue to live our life' like nothing happened, but the reality is that no one can be safe anymore in these countries. Citizens can't go to concerts, can't visit popular tourist spots, can't even ride the subway anymore without facing a potential deadly threat. This is the everyday reality of the UK and Western Europe in 2017.

So if you ask me, I'd rather choose to live in gang-infested St. Louis or Baltimore than in the "safe" popular tourist spots in any Western European or British metropolis. Fortunately, I don't have to choose either since there are no terror issues in my country (East-Central EU), we also haven't colonized any other countries in the past.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Speaking as a natural born Brit. You're talking out your backside.

Consider for 10 deaths aged 20-50 in the US with no history of medical issues, day 1 there are 10 homicides, subsequently it may fall to zero if autopsy shows natural causes or suicide noyes are found, if neither of these occur they remain as homicides (note clearance rate of US homicides is around 60%)

The same 10 deaths in the UK day 1 has zero homicides, subsequently it may rise from autopsy (or other evidence) to 10 homicides, only if evidence is found that the body may have been killed will it be considered a homicide, if no evidence is found then the body will never be considered a homicide.

UK conviction rate for homicides is 93%, that's not just cleared, but leading to conviction, the US solely clearance rate is 60% indicating the huge discrepancy between the methods of collating homicide.

And you're right this isn't the topic but you raised it. For close to 20 years I've been studying the differences in US/UK crime rates and methods, so I'm not making junior mistakes.
Rep as I have found it hard to find anyone who doesn't immediately spout B.S on homicide collection.
Again it doesn't matter because your assuming that the deaths are all homicides, again in London what percent of murders do you think are committed by an untraceable/ barely traceable chemical? While I did bring up London's rate, I brought it up to prove unless people believe Muslims are killing massive amounts of people with untraceable chemicals or have the time and money to set up a perfect murder etcetera this isn't happening. I think the discrepancy is from the snitches get stitches rule and the fact that U.K cities are denser thus have a higher likelihood of someone seeing a crime like murder compared to the U.S. What qualifies as a ghetto in the U.K is laughable(this is in a good way) and the best way to describe the average U.K ghetto would be if the Bad side of Plano, Texas was the ghetto or using another Dallas Analogy if Arlington or Grand Prairie was the worst most crime ridden cities/ boroughs in London's case. MY point is that right wingers like to fear monger about Muslims but don't even know the statistics which clearly show that an English Muslim is as likely to be a murderer as White American especially if you focus on White Americans not from the NE and North in general which have far closer rates to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies