Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
Of course, this particular statue of Lee was personally dedicated by none other than that great liberal of liberals, FDR. Then again, that in itself is not a shock considering that he was also responsible for another great act of liberal "compassion" and "tolerance" when he forced Japanese-Americans into internment camps.

When it suited democrats, back when the South voted as a solid block for them, dems couldn't grab ankle and spread cheek fast enough for old Dixie. There's no question in my mind that if the South was still a democrat stronghold, none of these statues would be coming down and anyone who tried would face the full wrath of the lib media and the hypocritical hordes of rank and file dems everywhere, including blacks.
I was born in Dallas too, I could care less one way or another. I'm pretty sure there was a WPA plaque on that statue (lol). I actually forgot the statue was there, haven't visited the park since high school. We used to play baseball near there. Back in the day, it was a met up place for gays.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Slavery is an american debt. So if your grandparents came here to become Americans, they will have to take part in that payment if that is what is called for. The resources are available in the government to pay reparations right now. If they do it through taxes, or even a majority through some form of taxes, that says a lot about the people running the nation. That's our problem right there.
So... born in 1974, with grandparents who were born in another country half a century after slavery was abolished, I will have to pay reparations? I asked for details, you seem to be light on them.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:45 PM

212 posts, read 135,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I hate to keep saying it, but you're wrong again. My original post....

Oh yeah, you really proved your case definitely.

Thanks just the same, Socrates, for conducting a clinic on how to win a debate with logical, consistent arguments. It's been an honor.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:50 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
So... born in 1974, with grandparents who were born in another country half a century after slavery was abolished, I will have to pay reparations? I asked for details, you seem to be light on them.
I mentioned payment plans. It could be through resources already in government hands, which is my preferred way. It could be through taking some of that payment from taxes. I don't see an increase in taxes overall, but it could be that way, with more definitely coming from the wealthy and super wealthy. I imagine colleges with billions of dollars flowing into their endowment yearly, will offer full tuition payments to descendants of slaves.

Ultimately, again, this is an american debt. If anyone chooses to come here, as Americans, they will take part in that payment, though I don't think it's necessary if government is fully invested in reparations. When Obama gave big banks all that money with the bailouts, did you complain about that? Even if you did, you aren't complaining now.

Last edited by Heavenese; 09-15-2017 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 07:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
I personally think those alive who went through Jim Crow which is still 4-5 million people should be paid reparations like the Japanese and Native Americans were.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:10 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I don't understand how the left doesn't realize how much of a losing argument this is. You want to really pizs off people? Destroy history. Destroy any memories people have of this monument. This polls 80-20 negative just because the 20% are more vociferous than the 80% you don't give in to them.
Statues don't teach history.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I personally think those alive who went through Jim Crow which is still 4-5 million people should be paid reparations like the Japanese and Native Americans were.
Only Japanese interned in camps were compensated. Those Japanese not interned received zilch.

You have to prove a wrong to be compensated. White restaurant owners were wronged by Jim Crow in Alabama (for example) because it forced them to structurally separate their establishments into sections for whites and blacks.

The government surely owes those owners an apology and some money for forcing them to physically arrange their establishment, no?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yay! Slavery never happened in Dallas!
Actually, about 10% of Dallas County's population was slave in 1860 - the year before the war started. All I said was that slavery barely got off the ground there.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:21 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Only Japanese interned in camps were compensated. Those Japanese not interned received zilch.

You have to prove a wrong to be compensated. White restaurant owners were wronged by Jim Crow in Alabama (for example) because it forced them to structurally separate their establishments into sections for whites and blacks.

The government surely owes those owners an apology and some money for forcing them to physically arrange their establishment, no?
You mean the same restaurants where black people sat in to enjoy their lunch, and the owners had them arrested? Those same restaurants? Yes, look at how white restaurant owners allowed their black customers to be treated...

Old 09-15-2017, 08:23 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Give us your best guess for what the details of that will look like. My grandparents (all four) were born in Denmark. How much will I have to pay?
You still benefitted by being white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies