Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
A statue of Confederate General Robert E Lee has been removed from a Dallas city park under police guard.
The decision to take down the six-tonne statue, which has stood in Lee Park since 1936, was made in the wake of recent violence in Charlottesville.
Dallas City Council had voted 13-1 to remove the monument on the grounds it was a symbol of injustice.
Earlier this month a court threw out a lawsuit from the Sons of Confederate Veterans to keep the statue in place.
The group had failed to prove the removal was a violation of free speech, the court said.

Dallas removes Robert E Lee statue from city park - BBC News
Spent a lot of time in Lee Park when I was younger, they used to give free concerts and the area is beautiful. Sad to see the Statue go, it is a work of art and should be retained someplace people can view it.
Going to cost approximately $400,000 to remove it and redo the area, me thinks the "outraged" should foot the Bill.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:32 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Spent a lot of time in Lee Park when I was younger, they used to give free concerts and the area is beautiful. Sad to see the Statue go, it is a work of art and should be retained someplace people can view it.
Going to cost approximately $400,000 to remove it and redo the area, me thinks the "outraged" should foot the Bill.
$400,000 lmao I'm in the wrong line of work.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:23 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
You still benefitted by being white.

would blacks have to pay to, with them being equal under the law. what about illegal immigrants, would they have to pay for reparation out of their pockets?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Are you also really upset when you hear about the US flag being flown or do you celebrate the massacres of the native Americans?
Symbols of the United States are already under attack. Harmless statues, and flags again. Washington, and Jefferson because they owned slaves, Columbus because he exploited the natives, The Star Spangled Banner, The Pledge of Allegiance, etc. These are already being taken down, and the rest questioned. The American flag is not allowed in certain schools because it may OFFEND illegal aliens.

It will be a cold day in HELL when I let a statue, flag, song, or symbol harm me. The fact is they can't. When we ignore history, we are doomed to repeat it, even Jim Crow. Sad, and pathetic.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
I feel certain that the removal of all Civil War monuments will resolve all our race relation issues. All we need do is look at our northern big cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, NYC, etc., to see how well all th races are getting along.

BTW, as Jefferson, Washington, etc., were slave owners we should also remove monuments in their honor and certainly get these nasty no-goods off our money. After that we can start working in on churches and other places of worship.

Out of sight out of mind. That will do it.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:53 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
The dumbed down American society cannot be trusted to allow other points of view so all objects of conflict have to go.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Symbols of the United States are already under attack. Harmless statues, and flags again. Washington, and Jefferson because they owned slaves, Columbus because he exploited the natives, The Star Spangled Banner, The Pledge of Allegiance, etc. These are already being taken down, and the rest questioned. The American flag is not allowed in certain schools because it may OFFEND illegal aliens.

It will be a cold day in HELL when I let a statue, flag, song, or symbol harm me. The fact is they can't. When we ignore history, we are doomed to repeat it, even Jim Crow. Sad, and pathetic.
Those things can't harm you because your IQ is bigger than your waist size. On the other hand, the perpetually offended losers that do think that they're harmed somehow will always find something to cry about. The inevitable backlash should be enormous when the "Posterity" mentioned in the Preamble to the Constitution have finally had enough!

Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You mean the same restaurants where black people sat in to enjoy their lunch, and the owners had them arrested? Those same restaurants? Yes, look at how white restaurant owners allowed their black customers to be treated...
They weren't allowed by law to sit there or the owners didn't want them there. They were not customers. They were however human beings who should not have been treated that way. Just as all the white restaurant owners shouldn't be treated as racists either.

Are you getting it yet?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They weren't allowed by law to sit there or the owners didn't want them there. They were not customers. They were however human beings who should not have been treated that way. Just as all the white restaurant owners shouldn't be treated as racists either.

Are you getting it yet?
It's always been odd that some people want to go where they know nobody, and share no values with anybody there! Why is that, except to be disruptive? I know I can't imagine finding a place where there's nothing of interests to me, and I decide that's where I'm going!

It's not like this was the only diner in town.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
What I can't figure out about this thread is how it got deflected from the subject of removal by the board of supervisors of Dallas of the Gen. Lee statue to Reparations for black people.
Who exactly, in a position of power, is calling for the white man to pay reparations to the black man for slavery? Sounds like a fringe element or a one-off utube video that someone dug up.
The Only people calling for reparations, are the defenders of the southern rebel doctrine, and only in the context of some mythical slippery slope they invented to deflect from the real issue.

Last edited by mohawkx; 09-16-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies