Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
As I've said - it's about "wants" vs "needs" and if people like you are not a part of the solution, then they are a part of a problem.
You want to take away people's choice, that I am against
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 06:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You sound like a wonderful pet owner and I really mean that. All I can tell you is that the rescue has no way of knowing who you are and what your experience is other than what you tell them. People will lie through their teeth. Their priority is the happiness and well being of the dogs they place. The dogs are their responsibility and they put a lot of time, effort and money into the adoption of their dogs. In order to find them the best homes, yes they do have to judge you and the information you provide them. It's not something personal. Their clients in reality are the dogs, not the people who want to adopt them.
It just doesn't make sense though...these same rescues (in my experience) complain about how they can't find a home for the animals, and then have to turn away some of the animals, who then end up in a pound where they end up euthanized.

Isn't it better for the animals to find a home, even if it's that home isn't the ultimate ideal than to insist on absolute perfection and then miss out on so many potentially loving homes for the cats and dogs?

Of course, no compromises should be made on character. But if an apartment dweller is prepared to walk the dog outside several times a day, not having a yard shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They aren't now, but that could very well happen if most breeders/"puppy mills" get shut down. My pet store Frenchie cost $5,500
You do realize that responsible breeders and puppy mills are completely different things? Can you point to any legislation that is aimed at shutting down responsible breeders who have no complaints against them?

Fine, you don't care about puppy mills as long as you got the puppy you wanted. Luckily, other people do.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It just doesn't make sense though...these same rescues (in my experience) complain about how they can't find a home for the animals, and then have to turn away some of the animals, who then end up in a pound where they end up euthanized.

Isn't it better for the animals to find a home, even if it's that home isn't the ultimate ideal than to insist on absolute perfection and then miss out on so many potentially loving homes for the cats and dogs?

Of course, no compromises should be made on character. But if an apartment dweller is prepared to walk the dog outside several times a day, not having a yard shouldn't be a deal breaker.
It works well for the rescue org I'm speaking of because they are a breed specific rescue. People that come to them wanting adopt have one breed in mind. They never turn away a dog in need whether it's from the pound or an individual. They can be very choosy who they adopt out to and have placed a few thousand dogs to wonderful homes. They don't compromise unless there are special circumstances.
They spend thousand on vet bills for these dogs. One dog I know of had a vet bill of $10,000 but they saved him. They do lots of fund raising, have auctions and rely heavily on generous people to help.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They aren't now, but that could very well happen if most breeders/"puppy mills" get shut down. My pet store Frenchie cost $5,500
You're still not getting it. This has nothing to do with regular "breeders". It has to do only with puppymills.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're still not getting it. This has nothing to do with regular "breeders". It has to do only with puppymills.
No he is "getting" it.
What he is saying is that if only RESPONSIBLE breeders will be allowed to breed dogs, and puppy mills are going to be shut, people like him won't be able to afford these dogs, since the price for purebreds will go up and up.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are you the owner? Fine looking slave dog.

What's wrong with you? Do you have no heart? Beneficial for you, yes, but not for the animals. Ask your dog. Is it cool to cut off his nuts? Try to cut his nuts off without anesthesia and see if he allows you.

No decent human can make the argument with a straight face that spaying and neutering is "beneficial" for the animals. Anybody who believes that is freaking out of his/her mind!

We are depriving them the most basic right in life - procreation!!!

Nothing worse than that!
So you didn't read the link. Read the link first, tell me how much more education and training you have in animal care than vets, then we'll talk.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
No he is "getting" it.
What he is saying is that if only RESPONSIBLE breeders will be allowed to breed dogs, and puppy mills are going to be shut, people like him won't be able to afford these dogs, since the price for purebreds will go up and up.
No they won't. There is more than an ample supply of almost any dog from breeders who breed as a hobby or to make some extra money. There is no lack of puppies out there. Most people that buy from pet stores do so on impulse. They walk in, see an adorable puppy and the have to have it.
CA is a good example and there are lots and lots of dogs sold in CA from breeders not puppymills because most of the larges cities with millions of people already have banned pet store sales of puppies. There has not been a shortage.
No one is saying only "responsible" breeders are allowed to breed dogs. Only pet stores are affected because they get there dogs from puppymills not backyard breeders. The vast majority of people already don't buy their dogs at pet stores.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
No he is "getting" it.
And yet didn't he pay a ridiculous price at a pet store?

So . . his argument is not making any sense.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And yet didn't he pay a ridiculous price at a pet store?

So . . his argument is not making any sense.
My argument isn't making sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies