Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,118,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only problem I have with this is it could be the end of pure bred dogs. Not that many Pugs or French Bulldogs are rescue dogs😟🐕
True the hollyweird elite want their walking dust mops.

But why are they dictating to stores on how they operate their business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,531,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
True, many people would be surprised at the number of purebreds at shelters and available from breed specific rescues. Many people buy a purebred puppy only to discover they don't have time for it, it's too much to handle, or they just don't want to spend the money if the puppy ends up with a health issue. Some people give up their dog only because they are having a baby and don't have time for a baby and a dog. Puppies grow up quickly and lose their original cuteness.
BTW, shelters don't care if a dog is purebred or not. They are killed just the same. They don't discriminate.
One thing I have noticed is that little dogs - toys - tend to get snapped up quickly at shelters. They are not always so easy to find, at least at the shelters I have visited.

I have two dogs now, and I consider them both to be rescues, although not in the usual sense of the word. My Chihuahua was given to me by a former landlady who was what I would consider a hobby breeder. She was no expert, but her dogs were kept in her house as pets, were well-fed and cared for, etc. She had a dog that she had gotten from out-of-state as a puppy, and when the dog turned out to be "leggier" than she wanted, she gave her to me, to save the expense of shipping her back to the breeder. If I had not taken her, I suspect she would have gone to a shelter. Chihuahuas have never been my favorite breed, and still are not, but Lily is an exception. She loves everyone, and is actually no more inclined to bark than any other dog I have ever had.

My other dog is a black and white Pomeranian my housemate got for me in February. A much-loved dog I had for 14 years had died in December, and I had been looking for another small dog for months. I had actually started this search before I lost my other dog, as I wanted Lily to have a playmate closer to her own age. Came really close at the shelter once, because they had some Chi mixes from a puppy mill. Unfortunately, they were so badly traumatized that I was afraid to bring them home to my other pets, and the shelter people were also afraid of this. Oddly enough, I found this little guy on craigslist, the one place I never would have thought of. Turns out his first owner turned him over to a rescue, where he was adopted by an older lady who had to give him up for health reasons. I have no idea why she didn't return him to the rescue, but she didn't, and he ended up with a family who already had a dog, and the two didn't get on well. So...there he was, on craigslist. He's a doll, and the family had documentation to back up their claims about his history. Not the usual rescue story, but the end result is the same - a dog with a forever home, at last. I am in no way suggesting that people get pets from craigslist (at least not without exercising EXTREME caution), it's an absolute cesspool, but it did work out this time.

I would still always start my search at a shelter, when looking for a new dog.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,085,176 times
This is the go to site for pet adoption both mutts and purebreds. Many shelters post their dogs here. Dogs come and go quickly and many are on their last few days of life.

https://www.petfinder.com/

Old 09-16-2017, 09:57 AM

487 posts, read 541,743 times
It depends on the location of the shelter as to their inventory of animals. My county shelter does not have many purebreds, and when they come in they go fast. Our shelter had a lot of pit-bulls, unfortunately, they do get a bad rap.

We rescued our pitbull and pitbull mix from the shelter. Our pitbull is the most loving, gentle, family friendly and one of the best dogs we ever owned. This breed is so misunderstood. Some are taken into the shelters abused and shell shocked by being forced into these illegal fighting rings. The owners of these dogs are the problem. They get a lot of publicity when something goes wrong, however, there is more awareness about the breed and I see more and more of them being walked around the neighborhood. People who have them love them.

They are very loyal and love being loved. The negative publicity has hurt the breed. Every breed has their cases of dogs that can turn. I know I will not put my hand out to pet my neighbor's chihuahua, it is a snappy little thing with a mean bite! People come up to our pitbull all the time as she lays down to have them rub her stomach!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:04 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,820,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It wouldn't. Responsible breeders do not sell their puppies to pet stores, anyway - they are very choosy about who gets their dogs. Healthy, well-bred purebred dogs are great, but I would not go to a pet store to get one.
On this we agree... I love a lab. The only breed I will ever own. I buy the english bloodlines. As soon as the dog is of age I get her fixed. I have no interest in breeding, or in dealing with strays coming to call when she is in heat. I never met a good breeder that sold to pet stores and you are right they are very picky about who they sell to.
The biggest problem is people thinking they can handle owning a dog. Puppies are cute and playful, but then they grow up. Along the way owners realize that owning a dog is like having another child in the house. It takes work. The unwanted dogs go for a ride and get dropped off and abandoned.
Worse still, idiots who give dogs as gifts...

Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,458,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What do you think ? Good idea or bad ?

---
California may soon become the first state to require all stores that sell dogs, cats and rabbits to offer adoptable pets from shelters and nonprofit rescue groups instead of through breeders or puppy mills, thanks to a landmark bill adopted by state lawmakers.

Assembly Bill 485, the Pet Rescue and Adoption Act, authored by Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell, D-Long Beach, is now on its way to the governor’s desk for signage. The California Assembly passed the bill in June and the Senate voted unanimously on its passage this week.

O’Donnell, whose family has two rescue dogs, said the issue “is very personal†to him.

California pet stores may be required to only sell rescue animals if this bill passes – Daily News
If people really care about animals, they would ban pet owning. No pet, no strait animals, no puppy mills.

But people are hypocrites!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,023,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If people really care about animals, they would ban pet owning. No pet, no strait animals, no puppy mills.

But people are hypocrites!
Then what should we do with the millions of animals currently in shelters? Just "euthanize" them?

Old 09-16-2017, 10:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,366,615 times
Thumbs up California pet stores may be required to only sell rescue animals if this bill passes

Good!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It wouldn't. Responsible breeders do not sell their puppies to pet stores, anyway - they are very choosy about who gets their dogs. Healthy, well-bred purebred dogs are great, but I would not go to a pet store to get one.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I bought my pug and my Frenchie from pet stores and they are great, I don't see what the problem is...
The problem is - they likely came from puppy mills where their parents live miserable, caged lives and are bred over and over and over.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:32 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,052,609 times
They should work on shutting down puppy mills instead. I'm also not sure why it's okay to sell dogs at pet stores anyhow.

Otherwise, these "puppy mill" dogs will become "rescues" and the whole point of the law is circumvented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies