Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

If they are here legally, what's the issue here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Illegal aliens should not have any rights.
There used to be a time when becoming an American citizen was a big deal but today why bother when you can sneak in and you are ushered to the front of the line where you are given the keys to the country.

I am all for teaching legal immigrants about the Second amendment as well as many other things that make this country great but illegal aliens NO.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennick View Post
Really? Interesting. Would you mind providing the Scripture chapter(s) and verse(s) to prove this.
There are verses specifically outlining the borders of Israel. Of course he favors borders.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
My brother in law is a legal resident. He complains a NICS check takes 5-6 hours. I told him to go get his citizenship...

One of these days he will listen...

Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times
Getting and owning a gun is an American birthright.
Guns should replace diapers, teddy bears and baby clothing as new born gifts.

Any immigrant that becomes a citizen should be just given a gun when they become a citizen.
In the meantime, while they are trying to become a citizen, would a BB gun suffice as a token of appreciation for their understanding of what it means to be American?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
One argument that is pro teaching immigrants/refugees firearms is that it will push them towards a more conservative, individualist, liberty mindset vs what most immigrants/refugees are taught when they arrive to the USA, guns are bad. Liberals please don't reply with, Hey I am liberal and I own guns. You know what I am talking about.

But even so, I imagine no matter how pro 2nd amendment a refugee/immigrant is, they will still likely be more liberal so I kind of see what the 3% are saying. But then again it is these very refugee/immigrants that can teach current Americans how important it is to keep firearms, be self sufficient, be concerned about central government etc Since many of them are fleeing nations where the citizens have no means of defense.

So I know pretty much anyone visiting the USA can shoot firearms(visitor VISA or Work Visa), but I imagine owning is a different case? What about Green Card holders? they are not citizens but are allowed to stay in the USA pretty much forever. Maybe it is state by state?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
One argument that is pro teaching immigrants/refugees firearms is that it will push them towards a more conservative, individualist, liberty mindset vs what most immigrants/refugees are taught when they arrive to the USA, guns are bad. Liberals please don't reply with, Hey I am liberal and I own guns. You know what I am talking about.

But even so, I imagine no matter how pro 2nd amendment a refugee/immigrant is, they will still likely be more liberal so I kind of see what the 3% are saying. But then again it is these very refugee/immigrants that can teach current Americans how important it is to keep firearms, be self sufficient, be concerned about central government etc Since many of them are fleeing nations where the citizens have no means of defense.

So I know pretty much anyone visiting the USA can shoot firearms(visitor VISA or Work Visa), but I imagine owning is a different case? What about Green Card holders? they are not citizens but are allowed to stay in the USA pretty much forever. Maybe it is state by state?
Legal residents may purchase firearms. They must provide their alien number/admission and/or social security number on a 4473 form.

A tourist visa/work visa/temporary status can not.

And thier background check takes half a day to process. My brother in law found that out a few months ago.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:39 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Sure they can, if they provide evidence of exception per 18 USC 922 (y)(2). Most commonly a valid hunting license.

Last edited by Gungnir; 09-17-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Legal residents may purchase firearms. They must provide their alien number/admission and/or social security number on a 4473 form.

And thier background check takes half a day to process. My brother in law found that out a few months ago.
Legal residents only need to provide green card/alien number. The background check process is the same as citizens. I bought half of my guns before I became a citizen.

A tourist visa/work visa/temporary status can buy firearms by providing their valid visa and a hunting license which they can buy from Walmart.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Legal residents only need to provide green card/alien number. The background check process is the same as citizens. I bought half of my guns before I became a citizen.

A tourist visa/work visa/temporary status can buy firearms by providing their valid visa and a hunting license which they can buy from Walmart.
His took Half of the day. Gun store clerk said it's due to a US and interpol background check, and sometimes can take a whole day or two for the background check to be completed. That was the clerks words to him.

So either they blew smoke up his rear, or something has changed... I walked out with my purchase took 5 minutes for my background check. Same for my sister and mother. His took Half of the day.

We all walked in together at 1030, he test fired one, and made the purchase at 11, my mother and sister test fired a few pistols, made their purchases at 12, I made mine at 1130 after working a deal. He wasn't approved until 530.

Hunting license varies per state. One can not just up and purchase a hunting license in NY or Florida. You have to take a hunter safety course in NY. Same in Florida.

Quote:
Hunter Safety License Requirement
Persons born on or after June 1, 1975 may not be issued a license to hunt in Florida with the use of a firearm, gun (including a muzzleloading gun), bow or crossbow without first having successfully completed a hunter safety course.
Anyone who meets the above description must present a valid hunter safety certification card prior to being issued a hunting license (excluding lifetime licenses).
Individuals exempted from having a hunting license but born on or after June 1, 1975 are exempted from the hunter safety requirement. The exemption does not apply to persons with a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing License or anyone hunting on military bases. Completion of a hunter safety course is required by the federal government to hunt on military bases.
Lifetime license holders born on or after June 1, 1975 whose licenses do not indicate that they have completed a hunter safety course must have the hunter safety certification card in their possession while hunting.
And must be a state resident.
What qualifies as a state resident?
Quote:
Primary proof:
Florida Driver License or ID Card (with Florida residency verified by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles)
Florida Military Orders (members of the United States military and their immediate family stationed here)
Alternate proof (may be used only by Florida residents who do not have a Florida Driver License or ID Card):
Current Florida Voter Information Card
Declaration of Domicile (may be obtained from county clerk’s office)
Florida Homestead Exemption
Landlord Certification is no longer accepted as an alternate proof of residency.
For children under the age of 18, there are two additional options for proving residency.
Student ID Card (from a Florida school)
Parent's Proof of Residency (child must be accompanied by the parent at the time of purchase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies