Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Antifa is a terrorist group and should be forbidden or not?
Antifa should not be allowed as it should be labeled a terrorist/hate group 83 65.35%
Antifa should be allowed 44 34.65%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Antifa was doing their preemptive strikes before Charlottesville. You can't use that as justification.
Antifa also ATTACKED legal protesters first. They caused the violence in Charlottesville by denying FREE SPEECH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
What the “alt-left” was actually doing in Charlottesville.

A few excerpts from the article:

"I am a pastor in Charlottesville, and antifa saved my life twice on Saturday. Indeed, they saved many lives from psychological and physical violence... On Saturday, battalions of anti-fascist protesters came together on my city’s streets to thwart the tide of men carrying weapons, shields, and Trump flags and sporting MAGA hats and Hitler salutes and waving Nazi flags and the pro-slavery “stars and bars.”

"Rabbi Rachel Schmelkin Congregation Beth Israel
There was a group of antifa defending First United Methodist Church right outside in their parking lot, and at one point the white supremacists came by and antifa chased them off with sticks."

"Rebekah Menning Charlottesville resident No police officers in sight (that I could see from where I stood), and we were prepared to be beaten to a bloody pulp to show that while the state permitted white nationalists to rally in hate, in the many names of God, we did not. But we didn’t have to because the anarchists and anti-fascists got to them before they could get to us. I’ve never felt more grateful and more ashamed at the same time. The antifa were like angels to me in that moment."

"The white supremacists did not blink at violently plowing right through clergy, all of us dressed in full clerical garb. White supremacy is violence. I didn’t see any racial justice protesters with weapons; as for antifa, anything they brought I would only categorize as community defense tools and nothing more. Pretty much everyone I talk to agrees—including most clergy. My strong stance is that the weapon is and was white supremacy, and the white supremacists intentionally brought weapons to instigate violence."

Old 09-16-2017, 11:04 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Slate?

Slate is Antifa's buttplug.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:06 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Antifa also ATTACKED legal protesters first. They caused the violence in Charlottesville by denying FREE SPEECH.
So the murder in Charlottesville was justified?

OK, say no more

Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Slate?

Slate is Antifa's buttplug.
The statements were quotes from real people, if you don't like the source then I'm sure if you google those names you will find those same statements in a source acceptable to you

Old 09-16-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The statements were quotes from real people, if you don't like the source then I'm sure if you google those names you will find those same statements in a source acceptable to you
I read plenty. I'm sure there are some 'fine people' on the violent leftist side.

Slate is garbage. In Praise of Intolerance

Old 09-16-2017, 11:18 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
This is justifying the initiation of violence. You're creating a boogeyman (like Ben Shapiro coming to speak at a campus), which involves no violence, pretending it's violence, and then imagining that "standing up to it" (i.e. initiating violence) is "self-defense."

You've lost your marbles.
Maybe Antifa did what you say but I didn't and I don't condone it. What are you talking about when you say "You created a bogeyman"?
I did nothing of the sort.
Don't paint me with your brush.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So Antifa forced the alt-right thugs to surround a church full of people while carrying their Cost Plus tiki torches chanting "blood and soil" you betcha!

And after that Antifa forced James Fields to drive through a crowd killing a woman and critically injuring several others. But I'm curious, how do they do all that? Must be some awesome mind control

Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Maybe Antifa did what you say but I didn't and I don't condone it. What are you talking about when you say "You created a bogeyman"?
I think it was pretty clear. You wrote: "standing up to fascism and white supremacy is self defense, violence is acceptable for self defense."

You are justifying and apologizing for masked thugs initiating violence. Because there's some sort of "fascism" or "white supremacy" -- so it's all righteous, despite the absence of *actual* violence from the people being attacked. Throwing in the "self-defense" bit is a banal bit of linguistic equivocation.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I read plenty. I'm sure there are some 'fine people' on the violent leftist side.

Slate is garbage. In Praise of Intolerance
But you aren't denying those statements are accurately quoted, so I guess what you are saying is that Slate is garbage because they dared to publish information that is not consistent with your opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies