Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:09 AM

10,775 posts, read 4,353,901 times

Advertisements

Think about it, very rare for anyone to make deals with the opposing party.

The independent voter would see President Trump representing both parties, and they'd see his Democrat opponent trying to disagree with President Trump at every opportunity.
They'd vote for President Trump.
I can see President Trump winning the independent voters far more than he did in 2016.

And by definition, President Trump is an independent - "An independent is variously defined as a voter who votes for candidates on issues rather than on the basis of a political ideology or partisanship; a voter who does not have long-standing loyalty to, or identification with, a political party."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 06:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Think about it, very rare for anyone to make deals with the opposing party.

The independent voter would see President Trump representing both parties, and they'd see his Democrat opponent trying to disagree with President Trump at every opportunity.
They'd vote for President Trump.
I can see President Trump winning the independent voters far more than he did in 2016.

And by definition, President Trump is an independent - "An independent is variously defined as a voter who votes for candidates on issues rather than on the basis of a political ideology or partisanship; a voter who does not have long-standing loyalty to, or identification with, a political party."

I can see him getting some votes from some independent voters but not a lot of them they will go with someone else they still don't like his stance on a lot of issues.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Most people who didn't vote for him think he's physically repulsive. Unless he goes full on communist, I don't see anybody except for his base voting for him, but his base is on the right.

Without his base, he's done!

Old 09-17-2017, 06:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Personally I think he should cater to his base. A president with principles is far better than a president who tries to make everyone happy. But Trump has no principles.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Independents have polled further and further against him.

His desire for a "win" at any cost is hurting him with his base...you know, the deplorables.

Of course, that base has already proven it doesn't care about actual policy. It care about optics...like a Reality TV show. But still...a few of them will eventually drop off when they figure out Trump could care less about them.

Also - if we believe some Trump voters, they didn't vote for him...just against Hillary. So if Trump had a more likeable opponent that would be enough right there for him to go down.

Personally, I don't think he will make it that far - criminal proceedings and all. Maybe that is why he is becoming a Dem - so they don't put him in jail for as long?

Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
As Trump reaches across the aisle and supports the Democrats' agenda, even when that agenda is the antithesis of the one he campaigned on, he loses his voters, including Republicans, Independents and Democrats.

Progressive Democrats will never support Trump at the ballot box no matter what he does. They are laughing at him. People like me who voted for him are abandoning him because he abandoned his campaign promises.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
As Trump reaches across the aisle and supports the Democrats' agenda, even when that agenda is the antithesis of the one he campaigned on, he loses his voters, including Republicans, Independents and Democrats.

Progressive Democrats will never support Trump at the ballot box no matter what he does. They are laughing at him. People like me who voted for him are abandoning him because he abandoned his campaign promises.
And this thread is not about them. Besides, you are wrong. I voted for Jill Stein but if Trump would do the unlikely and end all the stupid wars, I would consider voting for him then.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

You're right, progressive Democrats will never support him. He is a vile human being and nothing will entice them to vote for him. That holds for the majority of moderate Democrats, as well as Independents and rational Republicans. Trump won through a rare combination of factors that are not likely to repeat. He's an anomaly in the White House, and outside of his rabid base he has no constituency. And even that support, as we are seeing here with a few former supporters, is starting to chip away.

Which is not to say the the Democrats won't use him to help them get some of their agenda passed when the opportunity arises. Why wouldn't they? But don't mistake this willingness to use him as support. It's not.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Personally I think he should cater to his base. A president with principles is far better than a president who tries to make everyone happy. But Trump has no principles.
His base is very small. But so continue to think your base is the majority of the country. It's not. Maybe you should start being an American, instead of just a consumer of rage radio

Old 09-17-2017, 07:52 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
If he gets things done by working with people, not party, I'll vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies