Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 07:57 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Collins as expected has come out against the bill.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
The Graham/Cassidy Bill:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...921_story.html

Third time the charm?
"Derail?" Interesting choice of words. It has already derailed on it's own. It was ill-conceived, and was probably the worst piece of legislation in American history, besides being unconstitutional. The Constitution gives the Federal Government no authority to provide health insurance, and no authority to take over a private industry. Those are just two reasons why it's unconstitutional.

It should be repealed, and it should be replaced by free market insurance; i.e., provided by the private sector.

Obamacare is an egregious infringement upon Liberty.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Maybe it's time to reach across the aisle.
To whom? The Democrats would be happy to do nothing. They think Obamacare is wonderful, though none of them thought it was great enough to apply it to themselves.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:23 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
To whom? The Democrats would be happy to do nothing. They think Obamacare is wonderful, though none of them thought it was great enough to apply it to themselves.
Neither do the Republicans.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If giving states control you mean it gives states the ability to jack up costs for those with pre-existing conditions and kick them off insurance I guess that's giving states more control....
This state control thing the GOP is promoting is perplexing because it was just yesterday, the GOP wanted that "ability to sell insurance across state lines" and "competing free market for insurance across state lines."

How will that happen under this bill?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Liberals want to be slaves to the federal government. It's sad, really.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I am happy to report to you that the Democrats are very much interested in working with the GOP to improve the ACA!

Quote:
As Republicans have been casting about for legislation to eviscerate the Affordable Care Act, Democrats have offered a consistent message in public: If the GOP drops its demand for repeal, we’ll work with them to improve, or fix, the current law.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...macare/530376/

Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Liberals want to be slaves to the federal government. It's sad, really.

I'm currently a slave to my job for the sole purpose of maintaining health insurance. I would like to retire but can't because I am not yet at an age to qualify for Medicare.

How many out there do you suppose are slaves to their jobs so that they can continue to have health insurance?

How many small businesses do you suppose are unable to afford to hire more employees because they are saddled with the high cost of providing health insurance?

Slaves are those without rights. Our federal government provides us with rights via the constitution.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't know how anyone defends forcing people to purchase something from a for profit corporation that on top of everything else, has no qualms in pulling your insurance out from under you when they are not making a big enough profit.
Kind of like the requirement to buy liability insurance as a condition of driving. They can charge whatever they want and in most states cancel your coverage or refuse to allow you to renew your policy without explanation.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If giving states control you mean it gives states the ability to jack up costs for those with pre-existing conditions and kick them off insurance I guess that's giving states more control....
It's been said over and over again that the pre-existing rules stay in place so?

Personally I'm in favor of letting Obamacare spiral into a crash and burn total failure and THEN let's see if a bipartisan solution is possible when there's nothing else to fall back on. Sometimes things have to get really painful before a cure can be found.

At that point all of these disjointed and dysfunctional party hacks on BOTH sides will have their feet to the fire and HAVE to do something together unless they want the public marching on D.C. with pitchforks and torches looking for heads to put on a pike.

The problem is at this point the people who aren't paying or, are paying very little for insurance are happy as clams at the expense of those that get no free or reduced cost ride and/or either can't afford full price or are being financially bled out paying full price for substandard insurance/care.

Obamacare was NOT bi-partisan any more than this solution is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies