Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:10 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,958,159 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul blasts it for different reasons:

Quote:
Kentucky GOP senator Rand Paul met with reporters Monday in his Capitol Hill offices to discuss his opposition to Graham-Cassidy, the last-ditch effort to repeal and replace Obamacare that would turn most of Obamacare's funding into block grants and provide waivers from Obamacare's regulations to the states.

Paul made a three-fold argument against the bill:

1) it keeps too much of Obamacare's spending
2) it's funding formula takes from Democratic states and gives to Republican states and
3) it's 2020 implementation date is too soon for states to smoothly transition away from Obamacare.

"My view is it keeps 90 percent of Obamacare and redistributes the proceeds," Paul told reporters. "It takes money from the Democrat states and gives it to the Republican states." The bill redistributes Obamacare's Medicaid-expansion money nationwide, so states that expanded Medicaid like California and New York would get much less but non-expansion states like Virginia and Wisconsin would get more. "It's going to be hard for a [House] Republican from California or a Republican from New York to vote to take that much money and give it to other states," Paul said. Paul's Kentucky expanded Medicaid. ...
Rand Paul Goes to War Against Graham-Cassidy Health-Care Bill | The Weekly Standard

Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,233,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yeah...I'm refusing to go to a doctor nowadays unless I'm literally dying because I'm worried that eventually they'll pass something like a kidney stone and if that happens....RIP to anyone with preexisting conditions. I don't want anything on my medical record.
Me, too. And I made sure to get my one diagnosed preexisting condition, cataracts, taken care of this year.

I notice that CNN has been running ads for "Dubai Healthcare City". I guess Americans might need to become medical tourists again soon. #MAGA!

Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,958,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
This is the worst bill yet, with many, many people being thrown off of insurance:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAs9zsh?m=en-us
Substantial piece ~ basically, "it's a repeal-and-no-replace bill." How unusual.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM

1,330 posts, read 703,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Those are not hospitals and that regulation hasn't been appealed. To say it's not the case, especially without offering any proof, is dishonest.

Show me a company that survives with 10 percent waste. It's about efficiency. You skipped the part about the quality of care going down because of lack of workers caused by government artificially increasing demand.

Thirty percent of the costs go to Aministrative costs. You do realize that in every fie4ld but medicine technology has lowered costs. How about you quit denying the FACT that costs have risen faster than inflation.

Like Epipen? Lower quality is never a good thing. Wake up and quit relying on government.

3 of the 4 are hospitals with a fifth coming:

https://www.centura.org/locations/li...ntist-hospital
https://swedishhospital.com/service/...s-southwest-er - 24 hour ER
SCL Health Community Hospital
https://www.uchealth.org/today/2017/...anch-hospital/ (coming soon)
https://swedishhospital.com/ --full hospital

You say yourself that 30% of costs go to administrative costs. Great. Medicare for all lowers these costs. Significantly easier billing with only one insurance to deal with, less time going after patients not able to pay, less forms to fill out. That = savings!

Costs have risen faster than inflation. Yep. Because you're dealing with FOR-PROFIT companies here. What's their motive to lower costs on a product that is necessary to live? You mentioned the Epi-Pen. They have a patent on the delivery device in the US. There's plenty of alternatives available... it's just extremely hard to get FDA approval vs in other countries, thus a monopoly that allows them to charge whatever they want. If you have a single insurance company though, then that insurance company can say, "no EpiPen, we're only going to pay $100, take it or leave it." If they don't take it, then the EpiPen company won't sell any because they lost their market. I read an article recently that showed that Medicare has employees dedicated to looking at the actual prices of drugs and treatments. They then calculate a percentage of profit and that's what determines what price is paid. So it's not all smoke being pulled out of someone's ass.

You also need to rethink what "Quality" is. I went with a friend to a hospital in Thailand due to food poisoning. The doctors there we saw all were trained in Australia, Europe or the US and the hospital looked no different than one here in the US. Except the price was only about $30 for the visit. Or better yet, girlfriend was in Europe and her travel companion came down with a cold. Went to a pharmacy, was diagnosed by the pharmacist for free, and got medication for less than 10 EUR.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:22 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,959,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
I would appreciate it if you didn't make things up anymore and actually address the truth.

What part of this which limits hospitals don't you understand?
Again In 1972, institutional provider monopolization was strengthened after the Nixon Administration started restricting the supply of hospitals by requiring federal certificate-of-need for the construction of medical facilities.
A business has to show proof to an authority that its needed to open? Why?

Need based on an authority instead of demand? Do you get it now?

Quote:
You say yourself that 30% of costs go to administrative costs. Great. Medicare for all lowers these costs. Significantly easier billing with only one insurance to deal with, less time going after patients not able to pay, less forms to fill out. That = savings!
I would appreicate it if you didn't make things up. How about addressing what I said and don't make things up, okay?
Why did the cost of healthcare go up when we got obamacare?
One more time in hopes you'll get it. You have no proof costs are down. I've already shown proof they have gone up.

Quote:
Costs have risen faster than inflation. Yep. Because you're dealing with FOR-PROFIT companies here. What's their motive to lower costs on a product that is necessary to live? You mentioned the Epi-Pen. They have a patent on the delivery device in the US. There's plenty of alternatives available... it's just extremely hard to get FDA approval vs in other countries, thus a monopoly that allows them to charge whatever they want. If you have a single insurance company though, then that insurance company can say, "no EpiPen, we're only going to pay $100, take it or leave it." If they don't take it, then the EpiPen company won't sell any because they lost their market. I read an article recently that showed that Medicare has employees dedicated to looking at the actual prices of drugs and treatments. They then calculate a percentage of profit and that's what determines what price is paid. So it's not all smoke being pulled out of someone's ass.
I would appreciate it if you didn't make things up anymore and actually address the truth.

Again The U.S. “health care cost crisis” didn’t start until 1965.
Again The government increased demand with the passage of Medicare and Medicaid while restricting the supply of doctors and hospitals.
Again Health care prices responded at twice the rate of inflation.
Again We had "greedy" insurance companies long before 1965 too.
Again It wasn't them that caused prices to suddenly go higher.

Quote:
You also need to rethink what "Quality" is.
I fully understand it. You however obviously don't.

Quote:
I went with a friend to a hospital in Thailand due to food poisoning. The doctors there we saw all were trained in Australia, Europe or the US and the hospital looked no different than one here in the US. Except the price was only about $30 for the visit. Or better yet, girlfriend was in Europe and her travel companion came down with a cold. Went to a pharmacy, was diagnosed by the pharmacist for free, and got medication for less than 10 EUR.
lol One silly data point that has no value in this discussion. You're all over the place and you never once responded directly to anything I said using facts or policy. Instead you ignored, deflected, and made things up.

The best part is you mentioning the cost of medication here vs other countries. It's alot higher here, yet you say it's comparable. lmao too funny

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-19-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM

1,330 posts, read 703,181 times
Quote:

What part of this which limits hospitals don't you understand?
Again In 1972, institutional provider monopolization was strengthened after the Nixon Administration started restricting the supply of hospitals by requiring federal certificate-of-need for the construction of medical facilities.
A business has to show proof to an authority that its needed to open? Why?

I would appresicate it if you didn't make things up. How about addressing what I said and don't make things up, okay?
One more time in hopes you'll get it. You have no proof costs are down. I've already shown proof they have gone up.

Again The U.S. “health care cost crisis” didn’t start until 1965.
Again The government increased demand with the passage of Medicare and Medicaid while restricting the supply of doctors and hospitals.
Again Health care prices responded at twice the rate of inflation.
Again We had "greedy" insurance companies long before 1965 too.
Again It wasn't them that caused prices to suddenly go higher.

I fully understand it. You however obviously don't.

lol One silly data point that has no value in this discussion. You're all over the place and you never once responded dirstctly yo anything I said. Instead you ignored, deflected, and made things up.
1 - How am I making things up? I gave you links to 3 (soon to be 4) full hospitals along with another ER within 15 minutes of me. Sure, there might be legislation in the 70's or whatever that creates barriers to entry, but I'm still showing you proof that there hospitals aren't some limited resource in a major metro area. This isn't even including the hundreds of independent doctors who have their own practices outside of the hospital campus within that same 15 minute radius along with immediate care clinics. There are plenty of options to be seen by a doctor if you need to be seen. Sure, maybe a specific doctor there might be a wait list for, but there's no reason why you have to see just that one doctor, except personal preference.

2 - You keep deflecting away from the possibility of a single payer / medicare for all and keep rambling about raising costs without looking at root causes and the huge cost multi-payer is. First sentence from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4283267/ The United States’ multiple-payer health care system requires substantial effort and costs for administration, with billing and insurance-related (BIR) activities comprising a large but incompletely characterized proportion -- Conclusion: A simplified financing system in the U.S. could result in cost savings exceeding $350 billion annually, nearly 15% of health care spending.

3 - How about instead of attempting to thwart single payer with "You're making things up" (which I'm not) and rambling on about 1960's and 70's history, why not look at the for-profit market today and all of the significant issues that are brought forth by for-profit hospitals and insurance companies that are doing everything they can to milk their customers dry. A Free-Market system doesn't work with healthcare. There's no incentive for insurance companies to keep sick people on their plans that cost more than they put into the system, and there's no way for doctors and hospitals to compete on price as healthcare isn't a "check the box oil change" type situation. Even something predictable such as giving birth can have significant complications (and costs) that can't be foreseen.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
1 - How am I making things up? I gave you links to 3 (soon to be 4) full hospitals along with another ER within 15 minutes of me. Sure, there might be legislation in the 70's or whatever that creates barriers to entry, but I'm still showing you proof that there hospitals aren't some limited resource in a major metro area. This isn't even including the hundreds of independent doctors who have their own practices outside of the hospital campus within that same 15 minute radius along with immediate care clinics. There are plenty of options to be seen by a doctor if you need to be seen. Sure, maybe a specific doctor there might be a wait list for, but there's no reason why you have to see just that one doctor, except personal preference.
Again one more time in hopes you get it. Again lets see if you deflect from the truth.
Are you going to state that has no effect? Or are you just going to ignore that truth again?

The opening of 3 hospitals in your area is not proof of hospitals being built freely. Three data points in one area with nothing to back up your contention that hospitals are being built fast enough.

Quote:
2 - You keep deflecting away from the possibility of a single payer / medicare for all and keep rambling about raising costs without looking at root causes and the huge cost multi-payer is.
Again you made this up. Again I've shown irrefutable proof that healthcare costs are rising faster than inflation.
Again I've shown proof that in all other industries technology has lowered costs.
Again you've ignored all this.

Quote:
First sentence from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4283267/ The United States’ multiple-payer health care system requires substantial effort and costs for administration, with billing and insurance-related (BIR) activities comprising a large but incompletely characterized proportion -- Conclusion: A simplified financing system in the U.S. could result in cost savings exceeding $350 billion annually, nearly 15% of health care spending.
And you're proof is something that hasn't happened and COULD lower costs. How is that proof.

Quote:
3 - How about instead of attempting to thwart single payer with "You're making things up" (which I'm not)
You have not offered any proof what so ever. You make things up.

Quote:
and rambling on about 1960's and 70's history, why not look at the for-profit market today and all of the significant issues that are brought forth by for-profit hospitals and insurance companies that are doing everything they can to milk their customers dry.
Again we've always had for profit hospitals and prices didn't go up faster than inflation. Quit ignoring that fact.

Quote:
A Free-Market system doesn't work with healthcare.
Of course it does and you have no proof. Why believe you when you've been wrong so often? Because you say so? pffft

Quote:
There's no incentive for insurance companies to keep sick people on their plans that cost more than they put into the system,
Group insurance? Every hear of that? lol And they'll raise the cost on those the risky ones. Like auto insurance on the risky drivers.

Quote:
and there's no way for doctors and hospitals to compete on price as healthcare isn't a "check the box oil change" type situation.
Are you that unattached from reality that you don't think hospitals prices are different from place to place?

Quote:
Even something predictable such as giving birth can have significant complications (and costs) that can't be foreseen.
Which is what insurance is for.

Your entire post is rambling and baseless.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-19-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,241,749 times
The public should make sure that not one of these Republicans Congressional People ~ is never elected to any public office, "ever again" within America.

They are plain and simple - "EVIL"

At some point the American people will be forced to understand "evil" when they see it. And those who are in support of trying to deny things to others, not continue to let their own embrace of evil motivations continually promote them to engage in ill will directed at others.

The demonstration of Republican System Evilness has been and continues to be the most negative thing in the American System.

It is something fundamentally flawed in the ideology that this Right Wing system promotes, its like a vile that is sick and depraved in the core of their mentality.

One should never be blind to the fact of what is evil and do not deny what it is when you see it. Never submit yourself to those who promote evil and seeks to take from others the benefits that improve life and health.

These people are an insult to everything that America's Constitution and the Civility Our Society has been working over Centuries to become. We've seen the likes of their mind of mentality for the 100's of years of such same types supporting things as vile as slavery, and then for another 100 yrs, they supported the inhumanity of segregation.

Here we are in the 21st Century, and their vile is still seeking ways to damage the lives of people, this time it is not only directed toward black people, it is now directed toward poor people in general, it is directed toward the aged and the children, and the sickly among us.

They are "exactly no different" than those who supported slavery's inhumanity... They will do anything against and of harm and devastation to others for the sake of money. They are never to be trusted, as we've seen over and over, the "denials of their malice" when it is brought to light. They spent time denying the warmongering they support which led to the destabilization of the Middle East and the Rise of Terror in the regions. They nearly destroyed the American Economy and Damaged the World Economy... and they continually make very effort to insult and abusively degrade everything about "diplomacy".

The people today, act like they are afraid to call these rabid republican out for the evil they promote. But at some point, American people will awaken and become a force to stop denying the evil motivations and ideology within this right wing regime.

Quote:
Future Generation will one day in the not too distant future, come to wonder, how did Americans ever tolerate these rabid right wing self-centered, desperate-minded and bigoted types. The young who will build the future will learn and come to do as we now do, they will look back with the same as "many of us" now looks back at the vile of those who supported slavery, and the same as "many of us" looked back at the vile of those who supported segregation, and ask how could mankind have been so deeply ignorant. The young who will become the adults of the future... will wonder, how did we tolerate such evil minded people, and allow them to become a part of American's systems of governance.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 09-19-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
The public should make sure that not one of these Republicans Congressional People is never elected to any public office "ever again" in America.

They are plain and simple - "EVIL"

At some point the American people will be forced to understand "evil" when they see it. And those who are in support of trying to deny things to others, not continue to let their own embrace of evil motivations continually promote them to engage in ill will directed at others.

The demonstration of Republican System Evilness has been and continues to be the most negative thing in the American System.

It is something fundamentally flawed in the ideology that this Right Wing system promotes, its like a vile that is sick and depraved in the core of their mentality.

One should never be blind to the fact of what is evil and do not deny what it is when you see it. Never submit yourself to those who promote evil and seeks to take from others the benefits that improve life and health.

These people are an insult to everything that America's Constitution and the Civility Our Society has been working over Centuries to become. We've seen the likes of their mind of mentality for the 100's of years of such same types supporting things as vile as slavery, and then for another 100 yrs, they supported the inhumanity of segregation.

Here we are in the 21st Century, and their vile is still seeking ways to damage the lives of people, this time it is not only directed toward black people, it is now directed toward poor people in general, it is directed toward the aged and the children, and the sickly among us.

They are "exactly no different" than those who supported slavery's inhumanity... They will do anything against and of harm and devastation to others for the sake of money. They are never to be trusted, as we've seen over and over, the "denials of their malice" when it is brought to light. They spent time denying the warmongering they support which led to the destabilization of the Middle East and the Rise of Terror in the regions. They nearly destroyed the American Economy and Damaged the World Economy... and they continually make very effort to insult and abusively degrade everything about "diplomacy".

The people today, act like they are afraid to call these rabid republican out for the evil they promote. But at some point, American people will awaken and become a force to stop denying the evil motivations and ideology within this right wing regime.
LMAO You never said anything of substance. If you had included the big government democrats in with the big government republicans and called them out as such. maybe thrown some facts, then you would have some credibility. Instead all you did was babble.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,241,749 times
Quote:
LMAO You never said anything of substance. If you had included the big government democrats in with the big government republicans and called them out as such. maybe thrown some facts, then you would have some credibility. Instead all you did was babble.
The point is the point.... I'm quite certain the point I desired to make was made.

I have no problem if you want to add in and expound to address democrats.

As to "Big Government"... with the vast array of "insidiousness" in the systems of society, Government would need to be "even bigger", to deal with... the madness of individuals and the self consumption mentality of individuals, the greed and corrupt mentalities, the abusive acts of people against other people, the neglect and apathy, as well as the basic laziness of many within the populations expanse.

I have no doubt that Democrats are with part and of some blames within our social and civic problems !!!!

But they don't push the evilness of "let's kill some people" obsession.
.. But the Article's Topic is about "REPUBLICANS AND THEIR EVIL OBSESSIVE AIMS TO PROMOTE A "LET'S KILL SOME PEOPLE" HEALTH CARE AGENDA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies