Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not that simple.

My son works for a security firm and is hourly until 40 hours and then they shift him to a salaried rate after 40 hours to avoid paying him overtime.

They announced this to him weeks after he took the job.

How this is legal, I have no idea.
Its not. Whether they enforce it depends if its a red or blue state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why does the Government need to get into everything? Yes back in the day there was a need because workers were exploited but not so much today.

Set the minimum wage and then let the free market decide on the rest.
Not sure what wonderful company you work for, but I bet a lot of people could refute that claim. I am pretty much pro company, but I also see what goes on. Companies really care very little about their employees and will take every bit of advantage they can. They create little programs to minimize their payroll expenses, such as cutting hours, even for full time employees.

If the government didn't act as a watchdog, we would be back to the sweat shop mentalities of the past.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Interesting post. Remember that comp time in government doesn't expire. I had a boss laid off who had three years of vacation owed to him. When they laid him off, they reneged.
not exactly accurate

Travel Comp time does expire...you MUST use it within 1 year....or you lose it

regular Comp time...if not used within 1 year...turns into overtime and is paid (little fact that most don't know, especially supervisors)

Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
BTW, I'm at the office, as I have been for months, not being paid a single penny.

I doubt I'll make a penny until at least March.

I might never make a penny with this business I'm starting.

If this business does work out, and I start making lots of money, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who say I make too much and it's not fair I make as much as I might possibly make.

Lots of businesses started off with people making sacrifices and taking big risks. Too many people ignore this.
1) I salute you for the risk.
2) You are an outlier
a) To be able to go any significant time without pay.
b) Your IQ appears to be well above the median. (Yes all jokes aside about "All liberals/conservatives are dumb.)
c) Your writing indicates at least some post-secondary education.

On average, Joe sixpack has none of those advantages.

As for the original topic.
I wonder, how about simply enforcing the rules about salary exempt. Wishful thinking, I know.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not sure what wonderful company you work for, but I bet a lot of people could refute that claim. I am pretty much pro company, but I also see what goes on. Companies really care very little about their employees and will take every bit of advantage they can. They create little programs to minimize their payroll expenses, such as cutting hours, even for full time employees.

If the government didn't act as a watchdog, we would be back to the sweat shop mentalities of the past.
I'll tell you about a wonderful company, CDI Solutions.

When my father was in his final nine months of cancer, they continued paying him his full pay until the day he died without him going into the office at all. They could have put him on disability and drastically cut his pay, but they just kept his pay and all his benefits going. They even paid his vacation time on his last check.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
It's Congress' job to make the rules, not Presidents via EO's.

Write your Congressman/woman and tell them you want the change.
The president sets an agenda, gets buy in from congress, sets priorities etc. Seriously?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
And when there's openings for hourly wage jobs hundreds upon hundreds show up to apply.

And yet without illegals we wouldn't have enough workers, says the Leftist collective...

Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
It's Congress' job to make the rules, not Presidents via EO's.

Write your Congressman/woman and tell them you want the change.
And that is the bottom line.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Agreed.

I'm pretty happy where I am, but I'm salaried and rarely work overtime.

I'm on call one out of every four weeks. Many weeks I have 0 to <5 calls. It's not a big deal usually, but I don't get paid for it. No comp time. No overtime. No "gentleman's agreement" that if you work two hours late in the evening, come in late in the morning.

Many times work 50+ hours a week here. All that is completely unpaid and there's no perk to doing it at all.

A lot of people say "just don't accept a salary job." For white collar people, that's pretty much impossible above entry level.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
OT is NOT going away.

More "false news".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies