Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following did you find funny?
Colbert's Emmy Monologue 8 32.00%
Anthony Bourdain's "Hemlock" Comment 0 0%
Trump Golf Ball Hitting Hillary Video 5 20.00%
None of the above 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times

Advertisements

There have been a number of threads now about Colbert's Emmy monologue, Anthony Bourdain's "poisoning" comment, and the video of Trump's golf ball hitting Hillary. Of the three, only Bourdain saying he'd serve Trump and Kim Jong-un hemlock was funny to me.

This made me curious as to why we find things to be funny, or not. Personally, I didn't find the Emmy speech or the video funny. The speech was tired, not clever, and even the Spicer bit, which had the potential to be funny, was poorly scripted and flubbed. The video was tired, too - been done before (and better) with different subjects, and it wasn't surprising or particularly well-edited. While I've laughed at pratfalls and similar in the past, this one was kind of lame.

What makes a political joke funny, and why are so many missing the boat these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
There have been a number of threads now about Colbert's Emmy monologue, Anthony Bourdain's "poisoning" comment, and the video of Trump's golf ball hitting Hillary. Of the three, only Bourdain saying he'd serve Trump and Kim Jong-un hemlock was funny to me.

This made me curious as to why we find things to be funny, or not. Personally, I didn't find the Emmy speech or the video funny. The speech was tired, not clever, and even the Spicer bit, which had the potential to be funny, was poorly scripted and flubbed. The video was tired, too - been done before (and better) with different subjects, and it wasn't surprising or particularly well-edited. While I've laughed at pratfalls and similar in the past, this one was kind of lame.

What makes a political joke funny, and why are so many missing the boat these days?
Their comments are not funny, they are hate-filled. They may think they're being comedic when in truth they are presenting as immature pouters.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

I'm a Colbert fan, but he fell flat last night. He's much more biting on this own show, which is late night...maybe some censorship given the wider audience the network knew would be watching??

Funniest political stuff are weekly shows by Samantha Bee and also, John Oliver. Really really funny stuff.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Average everyday pleb answer -

What falls flat:
Anything poking fun at my "team"

What is funny:
Anything poking fun at the other side's "team"

Why:
Cause I'm biased as f**k and brainwashed

Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I'm a Colbert fan, but he fell flat last night. He's much more biting on this own show, which is late night...maybe some censorship given the wider audience the network knew would be watching??

Funniest political stuff are weekly shows by Samantha Bee and also, John Oliver. Really really funny stuff.
John Oliver is fantastic.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I am gonna say None of the Above. I didn't see the monologue, the Hemlock comment was stupid, and the golf meme was stupid and childish.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Average everyday pleb answer -

What falls flat:
Anything poking fun at my "team"

What is funny:
Anything poking fun at the other side's "team"

Why:
Cause I'm biased as f**k and brainwashed

Perhaps. I thought Jon Stewart was usually pretty funny, but don't find most of the other, similar, political news personalities all that amusing. Maybe it was because of his delivery? Was it because when he made comments it was to point out the ridiculous, not just random bashing?

Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Colbert = NOT Funny.

He used to be a few years ago, then he started hating Trump and turned in a lame no-talent comedian.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Colbert = NOT Funny.

He used to be a few years ago, then he started hating Trump and turned in a lame no-talent comedian.
Colbert is genius. So is Seth Meyers. Trump supporters can watch Fox. Oh yeah they already do.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Bourdain wasn't trying to be funny. He gave a smart ass answer to a stupid question. That's all.

The golf meme -- inconsequential until the President of the USA takes the time to retweet it. Maybe Barron got a hold of his phone and played a prank on him.

Yeah make fun of my team -- not funny. Mock the opposition -- hilarious and intelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies