Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Man you guys are making such a simple thing so complicated (26 pages on this?) by splitting hairs and acting like this was some major incident instead of an ******* getting punched for acting like an *******.

Here's the answer to your question: you are allowed to ignore it and keep walking, or you can confront the guy with words, or you can punch him (or worse) and face the legal consequences. Either way, nobody should shed a tear over the poor nazi who was trying to provoke a reaction, and got one.

Common sense, people. Don't be an ******* and your chance of getting punched goes way down.
You can't punch another human being for what they say, wear, or look like.

I will never concede this ideal no matter how much the collectivist mob tries to enforce their universal morality on individuals.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:28 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I will never concede this ideal no matter how much the collectivist mob tries to enforce their universal morality on individuals.
Yes you can punch another human being for any reason under the sun, and in turn, you can get punched back, arrested, sued, etc. What I like to practice is common sense punch avoidance by not trying to provoke that potential reaction in the first place. And when someone doesn't practice that common sense approach and predictably gets punched, I shrug my shoulders and think "guess he got what he was asking for".

Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I don't think anyone is trying to say one view or the other is morally superior.

In fact, I would feel terrible if the dude died or suffered brain damage, etc.....

On the other hand, I've lived my entire life without Nazis walking down the street talking about gassing Jews and THAT is certainly something which offends my "universal morality"...

As one commenter noted - a LOT of gun nuts and right wingers chastise the Jews of Germany and Poland for not fighting back with guns and everything else they could find (which wasn't really an option if you know history).

Now the very same "type" of person is lamenting that a Nazi got punched out?

I wouldn't want to see more of this. But if this video ends up keeping a bunch of wanna-be Nazis in their basements instead of on our public areas I'd be pleased.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Yes you can punch another human being for any reason under the sun, and in turn, you can get punched back, arrested, sued, etc. What I like to practice is common sense punch avoidance by not trying to provoke that potential reaction in the first place. And when someone doesn't practice that common sense approach and predictably gets punched, I shrug my shoulders and think "guess he got what he was asking for".
You have horrible common sense. You're the type of person to punch someone for being in an inter racial marriage.
See what I did there?

Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to say one view or the other is morally superior.

In fact, I would feel terrible if the dude died or suffered brain damage, etc.....
But as long as it kept a "bunch of wanna-be Nazis" (your words not mine out) out of your view, you really don't mind the use of force when no ones rights have been violated.

Quote:
On the other hand, I've lived my entire life without Nazis walking down the street talking about gassing Jews and THAT is certainly something which offends my "universal morality"...
It's not about you. It's about the rights of the individual. Cool story though.

Quote:
As one commenter noted - a LOT of gun nuts and right wingers chastise the Jews of Germany and Poland for not fighting back with guns and everything else they could find (which wasn't really an option if you know history).
No they don't. You made this up.

Quote:
Now the very same "type" of person is lamenting that a Nazi got punched out?
You really do miss the point a lot don't you. A twisted agenda will do that. It's about the rights of the individual, not about what type a person the victim is.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to see more of this. But if this video ends up keeping a bunch of wanna-be Nazis in their basements instead of on our public areas I'd be pleased.
Because it's okay for people to violate the rights of others as long as you deem the victims unworthy.
Their rights are your rights.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Stormfront lite at it again.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
"Common sense punch avoidance".

Is that like "common sense lynching avoidance" used in the old South if you were Black? You know, don't look at white women. Don't speak unless spoken to. Sit in the back of the bus.

Am I getting this correctly?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You have horrible common sense. You're the type of person to punch someone for being in an inter racial marriage.
See what I did there?
Ugh being in an interracial marriage (btw my gf is not white) is not the same as trying to provoke by using symbols that are universally despised and sure to get a reaction. Having said that, I accept the inherent risk that wouldn't exist if I stuck to white women. I'm also smart enough to know there are some places I shouldn't show up with my gf, such as trucker bars in Alabama or what have you. Again, common sense. Why is this so hard to understand?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
My last one for the day.
You're making my point for me. By waiting, more innocent people died. It was a mistake, action should have been taken far sooner. When action was taken, evil fell.

You write well, and come accross as educated, but you're flat out wrong, and I will never be able to convince you of that through speech. That's a major sticking point to me, because I don't think you are the issue. We have different beliefs, but you aren't out to kill me for mine, and I won't touch you for yours.

If we can't convince each other with words, how is there any hope of convincing someone with enough hate to murder innocent children that their 'beliefs' are wrong?

The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, and they sure as hell aren't sending speakers and debaters into ISIL held territories to try and convince them that they are wrong. Why should Nazis be treated any differently?
Your clearly ESL.

Your entire argument is based on repressing and oppressing a group you believe is "wrong". My argument is you cannot defeat oppression and repression with oppression and repression. How is that making your argument for you? How us it even remotely related to your argument?

If you choose to violently oppose an ideology you will not defeat that ideology, you may defeat supporters of the ideology but not the ideology itself. If it worked there would be no one today espousing Nazi ideology, there are, thus QED violent opposition failed.

Further you seem to be of the opinion that I support Nazis and I don't, but I'm not going to deny them rights, since who determines the range of what Nazi is? I consider anyone supporting violent suppression of free expression a Nazi, do you want to use my definition or yours? You are under the impression by not denying them rights I sympathize, shall we use your definition? Regardless if we deny rights we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater and walking the same path that led to an entire culture to become what we despise, because we are arbitrarily denying rights and creating second class citizens who are not extended the same protection of law, nor the same rights, and then it's only one small step to removing them from our existence permanently. Then regardless of label you have become that thing you fear.

Germany did not become Nazi because people embraced it from aspiration, but from fear of the alternative. Fears that were exaggerated and fed to them by the very people who truly believed and aspired to be the best they could be (however misguided). So when people choose violence over debate the sole conclusion I can draw is that the person is responding through fear (fight or flight) and not logic, and that makes me concerned for the future of the nation. The founders favored logic in preference to fear (otherwise there would be the British American Colonies not the US), it seems a pity that ~350 years later we've devolved to favoring fear over logic.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
And what do people here think a group of neo nazi thugs would have done to a lone black person or person of color?

The organizations and gangs these neo nazi thugs belong to certainly don't advocate peace and harmony, don't ever gloss over that.

So sorry I could care less if one of these morons gets knocked out, for wearing clothing that deliberately serves to provoke.

I would feel the same if it were some BLM or Antifa thug that gets knocked out (and I'm willing to bet those that sympathize with neo nazis could care less either if a BLM/Antifa got knocked tfo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies