Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Does the US Constitution guarantee you the right to more legroom in Coach?

When consumers choose a flight based on price, something has to give. Pay more/ get more.

Or drive or take a train which can easily cost as much as a flight for some routes.
Do you believe laws are passed exclusively to enforce rights protected by the Constitution? They are not.

We have laws protecting our safety: seat-belts, OSHA, Consumer Product Safety Commission, NHTSA, MSHA, Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005, etc...

Last edited by jojajn; 09-19-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,565 posts, read 1,921,391 times
Today in lack of awareness theater...

Planes are not safe

I'm going to hurt someone for causing me discomfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Safety as being an issue, is an understatement to say the least.

The next passenger that repeatedly kicks my back seat or grabs onto it and shoves my whole seat back when they get up to use the toilet, is going to get my size 9.5's up their rear end.

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
The FAA has already come back and said seat issues are issues of comfort, not safety and they don't want to get involved.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
The FAA has already come back and said seat issues are issues of comfort, not safety and they don't want to get involved.
I couldn't find that anywhere. Would you post a link related to this please?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Problem -- airlines are still making sales -- so they won't stop depriving customers of services until customers stop flying.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Makes no sense to make seats smaller when people keep getting fatter. Perhaps the airlines see an easy way to get extra money by charging for two seats.
People should lose weight. I fly often and the seating is cramped but not bad for a normal sized person. If our culture allowed airline employees to be honest with people it wouldn't be such a problem. Every time that I am at an airport, I see many people that are too fat to fly that should be asked to leave for the comfort and safety of others.

Flying coach is like wearing yoga pants, at some point you have to admit that you and your body are no longer good candidates for either. If you are fat, spend the extra money and fly first class. If you can't afford first class, lose weight or drive instead.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I couldn't find that anywhere. Would you post a link related to this please?
Lots of articles on this dated 2017. The FAA was ordered by a judge to review the seat issues and they declined saying seat issues are issues of comfort.

Just google/bing "FAA says seat issues are issues of comfort"

Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Lots of articles on this dated 2017. The FAA was ordered by a judge to review the seat issues and they declined saying seat issues are issues of comfort.

Just google/bing "FAA says seat issues are issues of comfort"
I did and I find no such statement from the FAA.
Quote:
The Federal Aviation Administration has not conducted tests to determine if passengers can safely evacuate from today’s increasingly cramped airplane cabins. Medical experts have also raised concerns regarding increased risk for blood clots and pulmonary embolisms due to lack of adequate leg room. There have been increased reports of passenger fights and disturbances triggered by such close quarters.
https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/ne...nimum-standard

Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I did and I find no such statement from the FAA.
https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/ne...nimum-standard
That's precisely why the rights group took them to court and that's why the judges told them to reconsider and come back with test data. The FAA cited 1998 data with bigger seats. Their current data they say is proprietary and they won't release it.

In 2016 Congress refused to amend the FAA regulations to regulate seat size.

There is no link to the original reply by the FAA to the rights group, just the judges reply to the FAA when the rights group took them to court.
The judges said the FAA has to come up with a better response than issue of comfort.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Here is an article that accurately explains the ergonomic problems with airline seats.

Some highlights:

Quote:
The seats are apparently still 18 inches wide, but the armrests are much more narrow — so a 6’1″ male will almost have to hug himself not to spill into his neighbor’s space.
Quote:
Airbus is promoting three seat sizes, which break down as follows:
Premium Economy: 20-inch seat cushion
Comfort Economy: 18-inch seat cushion
Budget Economy: 16.7″ (!!!!) seat cushion
The average American with 20-inch hips simply is not going to fit into these planes.
Quote:
I’m about 6’1″, and my knees are about 27 inches from the back of my seat — if I pull my hips all the way back. If I relax at all, that moves my knees out a few more inches — which puts them right against the seat in front of me.
My shoulder width is about 18 inches, but if I drop my arms and tuck them against my sides, I am more like 22 – 24 inches wide. According to the USA Today article, most airline seats are only 17 – 18.5 inches wide.
https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...ped-get-worse/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies