Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Stooping to a new low, CNN has posted a highly misleading, fake Hurricane Maria forecast. By overlaying Irma's track with Maria's, they make it appear Floridians are due for another major hurricane hit, but that's not the case at all. NOAA warned us to be on the lookout for these fake forecasts, but who would've thought CNN would try it.

Hurricane Maria keeps intensifying hours before landfall - CNN
naw mate that is just you. it is clear to everyone else that the new storm is heading elsewhere. the big cone and all that...

Old 09-18-2017, 05:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Stooping to a new low, CNN has posted a highly misleading, fake Hurricane Maria forecast. By overlaying Irma's track with Maria's, they make it appear Floridians are due for another major hurricane hit, but that's not the case at all. NOAA warned us to be on the lookout for these fake forecasts, but who would've thought CNN would try it.

Your obsession with CNN is duly noted.....now choose your poison.

CNN lying about a hurricane's forecasted path or....

FOX NEWS lying about Obama being indoctrinated at a maddrassa in Indonesia and being born in Kenya.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't know.

And you saying that the overlay was done to show Florida appears to be spared is plausible too I suppose.

I don't think it's necessarily fake news...it's just bad news reporting.

If you were hit by Irma the fact that a tree went thru your living room window (and still may be there) is all you need to know you were impacted.

Stick to the forecast for what's next. Creating any possible confusion when talking about a hurricane isn't wise.
All my Florida friends are a bit (ok, massively) skittish about the thought that another hurricane could be approaching. It is all they talk about, and they are watching the updates constantly, just to reassure themselves that Maria isn't a possible threat. So I can see where CNN, the weather channel, and even the local news would be showing a comparison of Irma to Maria's planned route. I don't really see it as instilling fear, but as reassurance that Florida will be OK.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
I don't know.

And you saying that the overlay was done to show Florida appears to be spared is plausible too I suppose.

I don't think it's necessarily fake news...it's just bad news reporting.

If you were hit by Irma the fact that a tree went thru your living room window (and still may be there) is all you need to know you were impacted.

Stick to the forecast for what's next. Creating any possible confusion when talking about a hurricane isn't wise.
All of them have been doing it in the last two weeks -- with all those storms out there - it is a bit of a novelty so they track all of them. Local stations, hurricane sites, national news......

It's fine -- what's wrong with it?

It isn't confusing at all.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,550 times
Erin Burnett just claimed Puerto Rico will be "wiped off the map"

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
It's not fake news. Just confusing news. At least momentarily.

But I'm of the opinion it was done to stir up fear for ratings. The implication is that even though the forecasted track is not the same as Irma anything can happen.

I can be a weather nut from time to time and have relatives in that hellhole known as Florida so do watch the tropics this time of year.

I've never seen someone impose the previous storm's actual path under the current storm's projected path until now. It's odd.
Nobody is confused except the OP and other people who can't read or interpret a map.

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
All my Florida friends are a bit (ok, massively) skittish about the thought that another hurricane could be approaching. It is all they talk about, and they are watching the updates constantly, just to reassure themselves that Maria isn't a possible threat. So I can see where CNN, the weather channel, and even the local news would be showing a comparison of Irma to Maria's planned route. I don't really see it as instilling fear, but as reassurance that Florida will be OK.
I have relatives down there too. They are all on edge.

It's just that traditionally past paths and historical formation points have always been given their own map.

Always.

It's pretty clear by the visual as well as the forecasters explaining the map that it wasn't fake news...just bad news reporting.

A better way to show their point would have been to put up Irma's path by itself, label it clearly and then say we are going to leave this up now let me impose Maria's projected path on here to compare it to Irma.

Even that hasn't been done before to my knowledge but it's better than throwing up both storms at the same time on one map.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Nobody is confused except the OP and other people who can't read or interpret a map.
No.

I'm a bit of a weather nut and can safely say overlaying current storms over past ones is not usual protocol.

I was confused for a second and then figured it out. Years and years of watching how the maps are presented would temporarily confuse that person.

TWC uses color-coded areas on their maps to predict snowfall as well. Years ago they changed the coloring system a bit. Gray used to mean 1-3 inches of snow but then they switched it to less than an inch. It took me weeks to readjust my brain on that one.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:

So it's CNN's fault that you don't understand maps and pictures?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
No.

I'm a bit of a weather nut and can safely say overlaying current storms over past ones is not usual protocol.

I was confused for a second and then figured it out. Years and years of watching how the maps are presented would temporarily confuse that person.

TWC uses color-coded areas on their maps to predict snowfall as well. Years ago they changed the coloring system a bit. Gray used to mean 1-3 inches of snow but then they switched it to less than an inch. It took me weeks to readjust my brain on that one.
I'm not a weather nut and to me the maps are clear as day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies