Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 04:32 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Maybe that is because the majority disapprove of the transgender and gay agenda. That is not something the young people in this nation want to hear but the reality is that there is a huge generation gap when it comes to values in America today. The protests you speak of are not helping to make the rest of us approve of your social liberalism. If anything it is just angering us further, nothing will change the fact that a lot of people over 40 will never accept all of this. The whole pronoun thing is just nutty, even laughable.
I am not socially liberal. I simply care about people and see nothing to gain by calling people who may be different than I, names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:45 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am not socially liberal. I simply care about people and see nothing to gain by calling people who may be different than I, names.
No one is calling anyone names but using those silly pronouns is ridiculous. The really sad part of this story is that all of this must be connected to uncontrolled mental illness.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No one is calling anyone names but using those silly pronouns is ridiculous. The really sad part of this story is that all of this must be connected to uncontrolled mental illness.
Then you should be promoting better mental health care for all.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting on the head shot, generally I thought the police were trained to go for center mass.
The Police are trained to go for the center mass in an attempt to neutralize the individual. Police have to be re-certified every X amount of months on their aim. If I had to venture a guess, the LEO was walking backwards with her hand on the trigger and backed up into the curb sending the arm up and shooting the individual in the head instead of the torso. Not knowing the type of gun they use, we don't know how much pressure is needed to actually pull the trigger.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well what do you call someone that is bisexual, nonbinary (what does that even mean?) and intersex ?
Be careful now, call this person by the wrong pronoun and could land you in jail if a CA proposal goes thru and ends up going nationwide.
A individual.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No cop is trained to shoot the foot/leg/arm/hand, nor should they be trained to do so.

I'm not saying the cop should have shot, I'm just stating that shooting to wound is not taught and never will be.
Let's correct this a little: ...I'm just stating that shooting to wound is not taught anymore and never will be again.

That being said, the days of the warning shots are gone. Too many LEO's have been shot, and killed, by doing so. The video game generation is now a danger to LEO's, as their training was a video game. The current generation is dangerous. Just look at this link from last night where a LEO was shot after a traffic stop.

VSP trooper shot during a pursuit in Henrico County; driver in custody

Old 09-20-2017, 06:09 AM

At a press conference, Schultz's father was asked what he would like to say to the officer who pulled the trigger.

"Why did you have to shoot?" Bill Schultz said.

"That's the question, I mean that's the only question that matters right now. Why did you kill my son?"

It's question that goes to the heart of a shift in policing tactics that is taking place in some parts of the country - an attempted move away from the use of deadly force and towards de-escalation.

Are US police too quick to shoot knife-wielding suspects? - BBC News

Another thread asks what the protesters hope to accomplish. Right here is what they hope to accomplish and are making at least some headway.

A series of highly publicised police shootings have drawn national attention to so-called officer-involved shootings, but the vast majority of police officers in the US still have little or no training in how to recognise and engage with a suspect suffering from a mental health crisis, or de-escalate a threat from a knife without resorting to a gun.

It doesn't have to be this way.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
At a press conference, Schultz's father was asked what he would like to say to the officer who pulled the trigger.

"Why did you have to shoot?" Bill Schultz said.

"That's the question, I mean that's the only question that matters right now. Why did you kill my son?"

It's question that goes to the heart of a shift in policing tactics that is taking place in some parts of the country - an attempted move away from the use of deadly force and towards de-escalation.

Are US police too quick to shoot knife-wielding suspects? - BBC News

Another thread asks what the protesters hope to accomplish. Right here is what they hope to accomplish and are making at least some headway.

A series of highly publicised police shootings have drawn national attention to so-called officer-involved shootings, but the vast majority of police officers in the US still have little or no training in how to recognise and engage with a suspect suffering from a mental health crisis, or de-escalate a threat from a knife without resorting to a gun.

It doesn't have to be this way.
As much as I feel for the father, a question I would ask is why did your son not obey an order to drop the weapon? If he was mentally ill, why did you not have him actively seeking treatment and keep him away from harms way until he was stable?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
As much as I feel for the father, a question I would ask is why did your son not obey an order to drop the weapon? If he was mentally ill, why did you not have him actively seeking treatment and keep him away from harms way until he was stable?
Millions can NOT afford treatment.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:21 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Millions can NOT afford treatment.
Maybe true but it doesn't fall on the police to determine if an individual is mentally ill or not in a split second moment. Darwin will eventually make his move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies