Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 02:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it's the only thing YOU talk about.
LOL you sound like my 4 year old.

Let me guess...."no YOU sound like your 4 year old!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
LOL you sound like my 4 year old.

Let me guess...."no YOU sound like your 4 year old!"
Every post you have made you whine about people mentioning My Lay. If you don't want to talk about it, then why do you bring it up with every post? What's the point of coming to a thread just to whine about what other people post? If you have something to say about something you want to talk about, then say it, and quit whining about what other people say. This was a good thread until you showed up.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Looks like he did what the sister of that kid from Saratoga Springs did after her brother was killed - joined the anti-war movement. He speaks of it at the very end, gets the "last word" in that episode, so to speak. He alluded to it, probably will go into greater detail tonight.
Not surprising. Ya, I remember Mogie Corker's sister discussing how she got involved after her brother died.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Every post you have made you whine about people mentioning My Lay. If you don't want to talk about it, then why do you bring it up with every post? What's the point of coming to a thread just to whine about what other people post? If you have something to say about something you want to talk about, then say it, and quit whining about what other people say. This was a good thread until you showed up.
Again you sound like one of my kids. I'm seeing a few posters in this thread who are determined to bring it up wherever possible and use it to define our entire involvement in the war. It's getting tiresome. We know it happened, we know it was indefensible. Now what?

Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I'm enjoying reading the posts and perspectives of the veterans here. It is really adding a lot to the experience of watching the documentary.

Keep it coming, guys.

Thanks.
I'd bake you some cookies if I could.
Yes, I love to hear what they have to say. To me, that's more real about the War than any documentary could say.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The college deferment policy was a JOKE, and a travesty to those that could not afford to stay in school. I knew of many who just took needless college courses to avoid the draft. However, I did see a stat where 75% of U.S. armed forces that served in Vietnam VOLUNTEERED, not drafted.

FACT VS FICTION.....THE VIETNAM VETERAN
Yes, I remember reading that years ago (20+ years ago).

About 2/3rd of those who served in Vietnam volunteered and about 2/3rd of those who served in WWII were drafted.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You might be interested in this book if you haven't read it: https://www.amazon.com/Home-before-M.../dp/1558492984

It was controversial, as so many things surrounding Vietnam were, with some people saying that the author did not tell the truth about the drinking, drug use, and sex that went on in the field hospitals. I thought it was interesting.
Thanks. I'll check it out. Yes, lots of controversy for sure.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Y'all cain raise your hand if you had your ****e together when you were 17 years old. Most of us did not. For that reason Vietnam when the war came calling us seemed out of time, another time and to many more of us a threat to our lives. We did not understand the larger issues of communism and capitalism. But we knew in between learning how to type and speak a language in high school, the unstated prerequisite was to fight for our country.

There were deferments originally, Student, Conscientious Objector, Health and others. Those who had supportive families or friends learned how to approach the issue and apply based upon beliefs or disability. But mostly we were naive and pretty unprepared. There was no national feeling except the silent majority and the protestors.

It was a dirty dirty business which failed. Many of us cannot hold our weeping back and many more are still in shock. There was no imbedded journalists there were no sides really there was only a bloody war in a hot jungle which created nothing except misery for millions.

Ive never really liked Ken Burns. I admire his work, but I don't care for the man. Perhaps it's the lack of empathy, or the tearless eyes. Maybe it's he can spit out TV shows on Baseball and War in the same breath...catastrophically chilling the latter and an amusement the former.

If you are younger than I then know this. The plague of war touched everyone in the USA during this time No one was immune to the effects of the deaths the injuries and the protests. Imagine a million people marching every week in the streets. Very few things broken just marching. The war was a catastrophe for our culture. No one escaped the effects. I have never seen more tears shed or more sadness from a war in my lifetime. I pray that I never do. If evil has a face Vietnam would be the left half of the face, grinning at you., teeth bared laughing, as it invited you into death, shame, disability and tragedy.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:46 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
About 2/3rd of those who served in Vietnam volunteered and about 2/3rd of those who served in WWII were drafted.
Which group died disproportionately in Vietnam? Was it US or RA?

Old 09-27-2017, 02:49 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Lighten up, Colorado. It's not like Trump opened relations with China. That goes back to Nixon.
As much as I disliked Nixon and hope he has an especially tortuous place in hell, I thought it made sense to open relations with China rather than pretending they weren't there. Threats don't disappear because you ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's been bipartisan treachery. I mean, I'm as appalled as anyone by Trump, but the dude has only been in office for nine months. Or has it been nine years? Feels like it sometimes.
But, in what I think appropriate in a discussion about Vietnam, Trump compared his 'struggle' to avoid getting the clap with service in Vietnam. IMO a man of his generation was a total jackass to say such a thing as he should have realized how many it affected at the time and continues to affect today with life-altering injuries and missing people at the family table. He may have all the material things a man could possibly want but compassion and empathy are apparently beyond his reach and he's a lesser man because of it. I'm of that generation and I don't know anyone who has ever made light-hearted banter about that horrible war.

Last edited by burdell; 09-27-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies