Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 07:06 AM

77,015 posts, read 47,418,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I felt there was a bit of agenda in the Series. I don't know how you can make anything totally unbiased, even though people say they are "objective." We see everything through our own particular lenses of experience. There was one particular point when Musgrove was talking, after we left, and S. Vietnamese left hanging there, at the moment the last helicopter took off, April 30, he said" This was one of the worst moments in America's history" or something very close to that. It surprised me. I would think if he would have said "the moments boots were on the ground" there or another historical war moment. I thought it odd, like they told him to say that.
Boots on the ground was during time of optimism, while the evacuation was an admission of failure. Very bad day for US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:09 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,049,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A lot of them settled right around here. One part of Arlington, VA used to be called Little Saigon.

In high school I worked at McDonalds for my beer money. The kitchen staff had a large contingent of Vietnamese. Their English was not the best, but they worked their tails off and then often went to a second job afterwards. Not a gripe among them.
I've enjoyed many a tasty meal at the Vietnamese restaurants in Little Saigon in Clarendon. My barber here in Alexandria is Vietnamese. I've had many dealings with Vietnamese people through the course of many years and am very fond of the Vietnamese. So the last chapter, the fall of Saigon and evacuation of the embassy, was very depressing for me to watch. We should have been able to evacuate many more of our Vietnamese friends but the American ambassador was an idiot, refusing to see the inevitable collapse and start getting people out. Just a very sad ending to a very sad chapter in American history.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:12 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,707,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I've enjoyed many a tasty meal at the Vietnamese restaurants in Little Saigon in Clarendon. My barber here in Alexandria is Vietnamese. I've had many dealings with Vietnamese people through the course of many years and am very fond of the Vietnamese. So the last chapter, the fall of Saigon and evacuation of the embassy, was very depressing for me to watch. We should have been able to evacuate many more of our Vietnamese friends but the American ambassador was an idiot, refusing to see the inevitable collapse and start getting people out. Just a very sad ending to a very sad chapter in American history.

Agreed. That Ambassador was out to lunch.

My barber is Vietnamese as well. She is always urging me to go visit there and like everyone else, says there are no hard feelings.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,144,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You didn't see any bias because you are a Lefty. That's all.
Using this logic, the reason that you do see a bias is because you are a "righty".

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just pointing out the extension of your logic.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I can't believe the military didn't find ways to protect its own at least.
Sadly, I can.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 09-29-2017 at 07:32 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 07:25 AM

Thanks to everyone who posted here. This was a great addition to watching the program and a very high quality use of technology in general and CD specifically.

My husband and I wish you all peace.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:47 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,991,709 times
I would also like to mention that as sad as that war was,if there is silver lining to be seen there,it is the south Vietnamese that our country absorbed. We are a better country for their contribution.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:59 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,652,204 times
For those who want an expert review on each episode. Check this series out. So far, there's 3 installments. Each episode should have its own.

https://warontherocks.com/2017/09/a-...e-vietnam-war/

Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,348,737 times
Quote:
Agreed. That Ambassador was out to lunch.

My barber is Vietnamese as well. She is always urging me to go visit there and like everyone else, says there are no hard feelings.

None from our family, even though it may have been understandable given the known circumstances pertaining to our particular situation.

Instead, on the 10th anniversary (1985) of our coming to the US as refugees, when we had finally gained US citizenship, we rented out the basement of our church and threw a big dinner party for all of those Americans who had helped us resettle in the US in order to thank them.

Us kids were raised with no anger or bitterness towards anyone. Only gratitude for the chance to start anew here.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 AM

29,390 posts, read 9,574,081 times
Quote:
So what?

Vietnam was a war started by Lefties to go and fight bigger Lefties while being opposed by other Lefties.
Gets confusing when conservatives love to call lefties communists. The common conservative justification to fight the war in Vietnam was to fight communism. The one to blame for escalating that fight against communism was Johnson. Johnson was a POTUS conservatives love to call one of the most leftist of all. The lefties protested against the war in Vietnam, against Johnson, while the conservatives viewed them unpatriotic communist sympathizers...

Have mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies