Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times

Advertisements

If the guy just lost his job for the fifth time, and some of his best friends are mobsters, it could happen. Use your imagination.

Most of the posts on this board are useless personal anecdoes. Fact-free verbiage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
If the guy just lost his job for the fifth time, and some of his best friends are mobsters, it could happen. Use your imagination.

Most of the posts on this board are useless personal anecdoes. Fact-free verbiage.
Sorry, can you point out to your extensive use of statistics or will you just point me to the person who used gun suicides to back up her claims about the high crime rate?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
So you want to take away liberties because you have a vivid imagination?

Most of the posts on this board are useless personal anecdoes. Fact-free verbiage.[/quote]

& your posts are what?

Your advocating disregarding a civil right. I'd say the burden of proof is on you. Show me in America a place with strong gun control that dont have high violent crime.

I'm watching this on C-Span right now, The DC attorney Dillenger looks pretty silly trying to justify that gun ban & not say he doesn't care about the constitution.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 03-18-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 12:09 PM

132 posts, read 244,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Sorry, can you point out to your extensive use of statistics or will you just point me to the person who used gun suicides to back up her claims about the high crime rate?
ACTUALLY, Frank, I never mentioned the "high crime rate".
The (American sourced) statistics I provided referred to "GUN DEATHS" of any kind.
The point being that if a society is awash with guns, demonstrably more people die violently.

I SAID .........

"The total number of gun deaths in Australia for the year 2003, was 290.
There has been a great reduction in yearly gun deaths since governments started to introduce stricter gun laws a decade and a half ago.
Here is the 2003 breakdown of gun deaths By Category:
  • Accident 40
  • Suicide 193
  • Homicide 54
  • Legal etc. 3
:In 2002, there were 30,242 gun deaths in the U.S:
  • 17,108 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths),
  • 11,829 homicides (39% of all U.S gun deaths),
  • 762 unintentional shootings (3% of all U.S gun deaths),
  • and 300 from legal intervention and 243 from undetermined intent (2% of all U.S gun deaths combined).
Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2005.

NOW, the USA has roughly 15 times Australia's population.
So if they were NOT "gun crazy" one would expect roughly 15 times the 'gun deaths'.
290 x 15 = 4,350
Not THIRTY THOUSAND ! "

But OK, if you want to ignore accidental or 'unintentional' gun deaths - often children -
and focus only on crime - homicides -
Australia 54.
USA 11,829 .
Allowing for the population differential, the difference is just STAGGERING.

Unless you maintain that America is a merely a more sick, brutal and violent society,
the only POSSIBLE alternative explanation is that one country has gun control and the other does NOT.

Last edited by Auntie Freda; 03-18-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 12:36 PM

What was Australias gun death rate before?

You also ignore the hundreds of thousands of crimes prevented by guns in our hands.
Compare if you will the statistics of bruglary commited while people are home.
Its ALOT more common almost everywhere but the US with a net result that those countries suffer a higher rate of assault & rape on burglury victims.

We dont let criminals dictate our rights like you do, theres much more to crime problems that gun acess.

Statistics are decieving. nobody wants to look into it or consider it but I bet the murder rate of gun owners, permit holders that carry in perticular, is very very low.
that would mean that if more people had gunson their person less folks would get murdered.

Heres the transcripts of the actual hearing proceeding, if anyones interested in the opinions that matter. I think theyre going to tell DC to go suck an egg.
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_a...pts/07-290.pdf

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 03-18-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM

132 posts, read 244,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
We dont let criminals dictate our rights like you do
NOoooooooo ......... we leave that up to elected governments.
We call it democracy.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
i love when i hear conservatives whine "its our constitutional right and were losing civil liberties", well during bush and co.'s reign, we've lost more civil liberties than ever before, conservatives dont mind spying and warantless searches but god forbid someone should try to take "der guns"

but PS

i know many conservatives like to say guns dont kill people, but i gotta disagree, dont ya think the gun helps?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:15 PM

266 posts, read 402,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
i love when i hear conservatives whine "its our constitutional right and were losing civil liberties", well during bush and co.'s reign, we've lost more civil liberties than ever before, conservatives dont mind spying and warantless searches but god forbid someone should try to take "der guns"

but PS

i know many conservatives like to say guns dont kill people, but i gotta disagree, dont ya think the gun helps?
I love it when I here liberals whine " its the guns, not the person pulling the trigger". I guess the gun has a mind of it's own.
Less than 2 months ago, drag racers killed 8 people. Car had a mind of its own though.

What civil liberties have you lost?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think the supeme court will come down with a very narrow decission if D.C. can put restrictions on gun ownership and nothing more. Only if they say they can't will it effect others.I love the whining about this right and that. Lucky no one here seems to remember the loss of rights during WWII. Might want to lookup what was done before the church commission which people call the old days.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post

but PS

Bush isn't remotely conservative. His administration isn't either, he's about as conservative as Billery. All these things are atrocities, the difference is citizens arent being tortured & warrentless searches are still pretty much theory. Firearms, confiscation & persecution is reality & has been for many years.
It would be nice if the crybabies so ready to cry when some loser has his rights violated after raping someone or selling someones kid dope would recognize the fact that things like that pale in comparison to the violation of law abiding citizens rights.

Gun control kills people, its complicit in all the school shootings & its complicit in most other shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies