Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For those who read, I recommend Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-Up by Leo Damore

https://www.amazon.com/Senatorial-Pr.../dp/0895265648

It was written in 1988 but you can still get your hands on it. I still have mine from the 1980s.
It's being reissued with a new title "Chappaquiddick" to coincide with the movie's opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Well, if has not been said yet, of whether or not this movie is any good...................

.....................""We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."......................

Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, Kennedy wasn’t rolling around in any grass because he wasn’t in the car in the first place. There’s not a shred of evidence to prove that he was there. She drove off the bridge because she didn’t know where the hell she was going.

He lied about the incident to cover up the fact that he and MJK went their separate ways so as not to be caught together in his car.
Why was she driving Ted Kennedy's mother's car?

I never took you for a conspiracy theorist DD.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Really, the Kennedys were finished years ago. There's no one left that can hope to rekindle their old glory. I laughed when some thought " Dribble Boy" was a future star, LOL. And let's hope that the darker side of the family is also gone and we don't have those types of SOBS around to darken our lives.
Just forget them, put them up on a shelf and let them gather dust. We're all better off with them forgotten.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:25 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
They put the "fun" in dysfunctional. Just a bit of reading on Old Man Joe's life is enough to convince anyone that the Kennedys were far from the misunderstood darlings the diehard supporters try to portray them as. When it comes to the JFK generation, even if you discount 90% of the stories as utter bull excrement the 10% remaining would be enough to never want one of them around your kids.

If true, Jackie Kennedy Onassis making a decision to keep her two away from the majority of the rest of them was a smart move.

Quote:
That’s something of an exaggeration.

They believe in public service, but like many people with youth, power and money, they have peccadilloes and the money to indulge them.

They’ve sacrificed a lot as a family. Junior died in a suicide mission in WW2 that he knew he wouldn’t survive. John nearly died in the Pacific. Robert is the man who began taking down La Cosa Nostra in this country....the greatest AG we’ve ever had.

None of that is attenuated by Chappaquiddick. Like I said, that was an unfortunate incident, but more than likely, Ted was never even in the car. That said, if he hadn’t been having an affair with the woman, that wouldn’t have happened.

So it is what it is.

Not only not an exaggeration, but they got away with it because of the power the old man had, and after he died, because of their name. I agree that they've had more than their share of tragedy in their family, but there are average families who have also sacrificed family members in the Korean War and WW2. And for all the sacrifice - they gained plenty for their life of service, which doesn't account to much if you're not decent human beings. One death of Marilyn Monroe doesn't equal the good done for X, Y and Z.

But although we disagree, I give you high marks for a vocabulary that most of the posters don't understand. Last year was the first time I've ever had to stop and look up a word (that you used) because I didn't know what it meant. Kudos to you!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
What he did back in the day was terrible. One bad decision after another. He probably left the scene because he was drunk. There were probably many people involved in the coverup.

Even if she was already dead, leaving the scene and not reporting showed that he was morally bankrupt . Someone just dies and you just leave them there because you don’t want to ruin your political career ?
If he were so drunk, he wouldn’t have been able to get out of that car. Opening car doors in water is a near impossibility.

Truth is, he was never at that scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why was she driving Ted Kennedy's mother's car?

I never took you for a conspiracy theorist DD.
She was in THAT car because that’s the car they left the party in. Whose car it is is irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, it’s Ted Kennedy’s car even if he borrowed it. Doesn’t matter.

They were both in the car when they left the party, obviously. When they saw the cop, they turned off (so as not to be seen together), he got out and she was supposed to either leave the island (her original plan according to her friends), or make her way back to the house. He walked back to his room where he was staying. No one reported seeing him in wet clothing, and the physical exam of him turned up not one single injury indicative of an accident where a car flips upside down in water.

Had he been in that car, drunk like everyone thinks, he would’ve never gotten out. And if he had by some miracle managed to get out, there’s no reason why she wouldn’t have gotten out too.

When he was told about the accident, it was pretty damn obvious that he had no idea what had happened. Why he made up that BS story of his will always be a mystery. But it’s odd that the Kopechne family never really spoke out about it. That tells me that they knew what’d actually happened and decided to keep their mouths shut to protect their daughter’s reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If true, Jackie Kennedy Onassis making a decision to keep her two away from the majority of the rest of them was a smart move.

Not only not an exaggeration, but they got away with it because of the power the old man had, and after he died, because of their name. I agree that they've had more than their share of tragedy in their family, but there are average families who have also sacrificed family members in the Korean War and WW2. And for all the sacrifice - they gained plenty for their life of service, which doesn't account to much if you're not decent human beings. One death of Marilyn Monroe doesn't equal the good done for X, Y and Z.

But although we disagree, I give you high marks for a vocabulary that most of the posters don't understand. Last year was the first time I've ever had to stop and look up a word (that you used) because I didn't know what it meant. Kudos to you!
Lol...thanks. That’s the result of getting one of those “useless liberal arts degrees!”

Old 03-27-2018, 10:14 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
If he were so drunk, he wouldn’t have been able to get out of that car. Opening car doors in water is a near impossibility.

She was in THAT car because that’s the car they left the party in. Whose car it is is irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, it’s Ted Kennedy’s car even if he borrowed it. Doesn’t matter.

They were both in the car when they left the party, obviously. When they saw the cop, they turned off (so as not to be seen together), he got out and she was supposed to either leave the island (her original plan according to her friends), or make her way back to the house. He walked back to his room where he was staying. No one reported seeing him in wet clothing, and the physical exam of him turned up not one single injury indicative of an accident where a car flips upside down in water.

Had he been in that car, drunk like everyone thinks, he would’ve never gotten out. And if he had by some miracle managed to get out, there’s no reason why she wouldn’t have gotten out too.

When he was told about the accident, it was pretty damn obvious that he had no idea what had happened. Why he made up that BS story of his will always be a mystery. But it’s odd that the Kopechne family never really spoke out about it. That tells me that they knew what’d actually happened and decided to keep their mouths shut to protect their daughter’s reputation.

There was also another theory that Mary Jo was tired and perhaps drunk and crawled into the back seat of the car and fell asleep. Ted Kennedy had no idea she was in the back seat because he was stinking drunk and so he drove the car so fast that when he got on the little bridge it flipped over and landed in the pond at which point he extracted himself only later to learn that she was also there.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I will say this: there may be more to the official story than meets the eye. My memory of this event is very foggy (beyond that it happened), but here is a Newsweek article from August 1969:

Ted Kennedy Car Accident in Chappaquiddick

The author of the article does an excellent job in pointing out problems with the series of events.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

Lol...thanks. That’s the result of getting one of those “useless liberal arts degrees!”
Ahh -- thanks for summing it up in a nutshell. I really haven't bothered to look into the story but now I get it. I always wondered about it.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:18 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, if has not been said yet, of whether or not this movie is any good...................

.....................""We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."......................
LOL! Well sadly, Mary Jo never got to cross that bridge.

How Ted Kennedy kept his Senate seat is beyond belief. Thank goodness it stopped him from becoming President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies