Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times

Advertisements

Guess who said that? Lindsay Graham:

"Steve and I have our differences. But he loves the idea of federalism. He said, ‘This is the best idea I’ve heard in years, maybe not coming from the best guy I’ve known in years’…but he really has been very helpful in his world, of pointing out this is the best alternative to Obamacare that’s been put forward. And so I’ve got Alan Greenspan, Jeb Bush, and Steve Bannon. If you can do better than that, call me."

Well, they say politics makes strange bedfellows.

More in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 AM

For those of you who dismiss Breitbart, Sen. Rick Santorum "argued that Breitbart News was ahead of the curve, covering Republicans’ renewed efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare well before other news outlets. Santorum said on Breitbart News Daily, “Thanks for the great work you guys are doing at Breitbart for actually covering the news, particularly in this health care issue, there really has not been any other news outlet that has gotten a pulse of what’s going on here. I’m sure you’ve been reporting that this bill is now being talked about by everybody, but Breitbart was ahead of the curve. You guys saw this coming, so congratulations.”

Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
There are a lot of Governors who are in an uproar over losing their states' Obamacare, and they are making their feelings known in the Capitol. Since a lot of them are facing the same re-election problems, the House is actually listening to them closely.
The Governors have been joined by the major health insurance companies; the health insurers don't want repeal after adjusting everything for the past 7 years around Obamacare. The longer the repeal nonsense goes on, the more the insurance companies have no idea of what they will need to do for all those they insure, and how much they will have to charge for their coverage.
The insurance industry is a huge economic ship; it can't turn around on a dime going one direction full speed. They had over a full year to implement the changes they needed to do, and it will take even longer to completely change everything again.

So Bannon and Graham do have a point. Federalism could well be the death of health care repeal for good and all.

It's to the best. Obamacare needs improvement, not replacement or nothing at all.

Our insurance bills would all go down a lot once the costs of prescription drugs are able to be negotiated with the drug companies, once the costs of the sophisticated med equipment and procedures are negotiated, and once all the states are on board to the same degree with the same program.

Much of all that was left undone by the passage of the ACA, and much was left without a clear understanding on other issues.
The ACA has proven to have some solid bones holding it together, but a lot can be done to improve everything that hangs on those bones. Starting over from scratch will only cost us enormously more money, and is a huge wast of time and resources.

A strong dose of federalism may be what it takes to get Congress off it's ass at last. They got far too used to just saying no, and have forgotten that being a majority demands governance, not just blind opposition to everything.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
For those of you who dismiss Breitbart, Sen. Rick Santorum "argued that Breitbart News was ahead of the curve, covering Republicans’ renewed efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare well before other news outlets. Santorum said on Breitbart News Daily, “Thanks for the great work you guys are doing at Breitbart for actually covering the news, particularly in this health care issue, there really has not been any other news outlet that has gotten a pulse of what’s going on here. I’m sure you’ve been reporting that this bill is now being talked about by everybody, but Breitbart was ahead of the curve. You guys saw this coming, so congratulations.”

Pfffft! That's the funniest post I've read on here in a coon's age. Ooooh - RICK SANTORUM loves Breitbart! Well, that certainly sets MY mind at ease. It's like having the Pope come out and state that he supports the Bible and Jesus was "ahead of the curve." Oh, wait - Santorum doesn't much care for the Pope. Never mind.

I'm delighted to learn that the neocon politician who opposes education because it distracts our young away from a belief in Evangelicalism has given Breitbart his personal seal of approval. Who else but the guy who doesn't believe contraception should be legal and that the study of evolution should be outlawed and thinks waterboarding and other forms of torture banned by the Geneva Convention have no moral or legal consequences?

Oh yeah - Santorum also called the ACA (ObamaCare) the equivalent of South African Apartheid. That would be apartheid for us common folk, but meanwhile his generous health plan that is paid for by the US Government (ie we tax payers) and covers every member of Congress and their families is great - for HIM. His youngest daughter had the misfortune to be born with a rare genetic disease that costs thousands of dollars in treatment costs and you better believe Santorum covers her medical bills with the insurance he can't wait to deprive the rest of us of. But at least he has been a vocal opponent to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. I guess that's big of him, anyway. As a person with a disability myself, I am certainly pleased at his lack of concern/compassion for disabled Americans who unlike his poor little girl, have no good access to health care and our rights as disabled Americans continue to erode by the day.

Yep, you and Santorum have sure made me see the error of my ways when it comes to Breitbart. How much are they paying you for each hit on their website again?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Breitbart is dropping in numbers, and has been for quite a while now. So, if they are banking on Bannon to pull this thing off, they are looking at the wrong guy.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...-are-cratering

Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Breitbart is dropping in numbers, and has been for quite a while now. So, if they are banking on Bannon to pull this thing off, they are looking at the wrong guy.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...-are-cratering
Vanity Fair is a Leftist rag for the elites. Breitbart is for the average American. That VF article was before Bannon left. Now that he's back at Breitbart and appeared on 60 Minutes, their readership has grown out of curiosity but especially since he has much more credibility as a DC insider, which is why you see so many exclusive interviews with the 'movers and shakers'.

Meanwhile the credibility of the NY Slimes and WashingPoo keeps dropping as they are exposed for sloppy or deceptive 'journalism.' Stop living in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies