Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
reverse racism
What's "reverse racism"?

Is it what happens when you rack up 5 or more "micro-aggressions" in one day?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
yes, that's exactly what it's like

Getting upset and blasting the university to the national media over collard greens.

It certainly is.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM

39,196 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Using cotton as a decorative piece is very common.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/180/0/12...07279_maie.jpg

http://www.allthingsheartandhome.com...ts-490x334.jpg

This said, I remember I read somebody tweet the other day, "You will never know people's true intentions, people are layered."

Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
he should of told them to pull their big girl panties up and get over it, you in college now, life sucks but they really got it made to be offended, beside collard greens and corn bread, that some mighty fine eating there

Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
As an aside that same professor also hosted a dinner for Hispanic students the night before.
Not a tweet out of that group.

Professor posted the menus for both nights. Said the Black students never commented on the food while they were there..only afterwards.
Those Black students were also offered Danish ribs, brownies and cookies and BBQ chicken.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...n-american-and
I realize that the university is in the south but this menu might come across as a 'stereotypical black menu'. Do all his student guests get the same meal? Apparently not because the Latinos got 'tacos'. The Latinos may not have tweeted about it but I'm sure some of them were giving the president the side eye.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:15 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I realize that the university is in the south but this menu might come across as a 'stereotypical black menu'. Do all his student guests get the same meal? Apparently not because the Latinos got 'tacos'. The Latinos may not have tweeted about it but I'm sure some of them were giving the president the side eye.
It is called Soul Food and I never knew it as a pejorative until today.

Personally, I love the stuff.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:22 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
President Randy Lowry invited the black students to dinner to discuss their concerns, then proceeded to ignore these concerns and yammer on about his own.

Lowry did not provide chairs or tables for anyone to sit and eat, yet served them mac n' cheese and collard greens n' corn bread. Awkward. No word on whether the students objected to the menu but some on this thread viewed this as tone deaf at best.

To top off the festive occasion, cotton bolls were used as centerpieces. This was not a standard decoration, as the Latino students did not observe any during their "taco talk with the president."

Sad that a school founded by abolitionists would be behaving like this.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM

39,196 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
President Randy Lowry invited the black students to dinner to discuss their concerns, then proceeded to ignore these concerns and yammer on about his own.

Lowry did not provide chairs or tables for anyone to sit and eat, yet served them mac n' cheese and collard greens n' corn bread. Awkward. No word on whether the students objected to the menu but some on this thread viewed this as tone deaf at best.

To top off the festive occasion, cotton bolls were used as centerpieces. This was not a standard decoration, as the Latino students did not observe any during their "taco talk with the president."

Sad that a school founded by abolitionists would be behaving like this.
I would agree with your 1st paragraph.

The rest of your post, well, Like I said, you will never know people's true intentions. I am 1/4 Japanese, if somebody invited me to a party and served sushi (I don't eat sushi by the way), I'd be flatted. But this is just me. I don't think it is necessary, but I'd be flattered. The "serving you sushi" people are easier to get along with than the "never Japanese car" crowd.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Again this is normal behavior, serving ethnic food during an ethnic themed event. I doubt any other group would be offended if they attended an event based on their ethnicity and food normally associated with their ethnicity was served. They do this all the time at Embassy events.

This post illustrates the problem perfectly. Just because black people are eating dinner with you or are in the same meeting does not make it an ethnic themed event. Even if it was an event with an ethnic theme, why serve stereotypical "black" food. Would the university president have served a group of white alums collared greens and mac n cheese?

The comparison to an Embassy event is ridiculous. African Americans are not foreigners with a different culture and diet. The assumption that just because they were black, they would be overjoyed to eat collared greens instead of the same food that you would serve to a white guest is what is offensive.

If some white guy invited my mixed race spouse from Los Angeles to dinner and served them collared greens, it would not go over well at all.

Last edited by shorman; 09-20-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
Quote:
of course you call bull pucky.

why address the problem when you can make up a story and blame the left?

you guys are weird as hell...
first of all if there is any problem at all, it is a LIBERAL College President who did something some folk don't like. we conservatives aren't involved.

I still don't believe this is a real issue. no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies