Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Poor taste abounds everywhere. No reason to start yet another race war over it.
Ah - I will definitely reference this post in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The purpose of the dinner was to facilitate a discussion about how the university can help its black students succeed. Who were they supposed to invite to such an event?
Common sense alludes some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sound like you do not think blacks have much in the way of critical thinking or intellectual capacity.

Anybody can discern the difference between the two instances of cotton. Not everything has the same intent, goal, or pattern of thought. Differences and nuances abound.

So yes, it most certainly does matter especially to those of us who are skeptical of hysteria and do not wish to become the Eloi.
Way to twist my words.

Someone can do or say something without malicious intent and still receive the wrong reaction. Lack of intent doesn't mean the action can't be perceived to be in poor taste or ignorant.

You can be skeptical all you want. It's not up to you to define what is and isn't deemed offensive or to be poor taste. I wouldn't have been upset, but I can understand why they would think that.

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Ribs, mac-n-cheese, collard greens, cornbread

Isn't that typical American food?

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
This post illustrates the problem perfectly. Just because black people are eating dinner with you or are in the same meeting does not make it an ethnic themed event. Even if it was an event with an ethnic theme, why serve stereotypical "black" food. Would the university president have served a group of white alums collared greens and mac n cheese?

The comparison to an Embassy event is ridiculous. African Americans are not foreigners with a different culture and diet. The assumption that just because they were black, they would be overjoyed to eat collared greens instead of the same food that you would serve to a white guest is what is offensive.
mac & cheese, Danish ribs, brownies, cookies and BBQ chicken are considered "black" food ?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:32 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
LOL..cotton stalks has been fall decor for years and never hit the headlines until now.
Unless you are around where cotton actually grows you'd never know that either.

They just harvested near me and I have wads of cotton blowing all over the place.
Dude, you don't have to tell me. My mom would pull over on the side of the road when I was a kid and make me go pull stalks of cotton so she could use them to decorate. im not kidding she did it all the time! LOL

Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
mac & cheese, Danish ribs, brownies, cookies and BBQ chicken are considered "black" food ?
They serve those in the VA hospitals sometimes.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Ribs, mac-n-cheese, collard greens, cornbread

Isn't that typical American food?
Not anymore according to those students.

Mac and cheese though have origins in Italy. It became an American staple (all races) in 1937 when Kraft started selling their boxed meal.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Dude, you don't have to tell me. My mom would pull over on the side of the road when I was a kid and make me go pull stalks of cotton so she could use them to decorate. im not kidding she did it all the time! LOL

LOL..people in Texas still do that today

Nothing like the real deal for free !!!

Old 09-20-2017, 01:37 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
This post illustrates the problem perfectly. Just because black people are eating dinner with you or are in the same meeting does not make it an ethnic themed event. Even if it was an event with an ethnic theme, why serve stereotypical "black" food. Would the university president have served a group of white alums collared greens and mac n cheese?

The comparison to an Embassy event is ridiculous. African Americans are not foreigners with a different culture and diet. The assumption that just because they were black, they would be overjoyed to eat collared greens instead of the same food that you would serve to a white guest is what is offensive.

Then why are there numerous Soul Food Restaurants (that is the proper term btw) throughout the country? They are celebrated and lauded by black folks from all walks of life. Whites like them too. There is nothing "stereotypical" about it at all.

Yea, I agree there was a certain absurdity to serving Soul Food that night. But no less absurd than all-black dormitories or all black graduation ceremonies.

This is Identity Politics. This is the society we wanted and now we have it.

If black folks want to be treated differently and cossetted, why would they be surprised when it actually happens?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Not anymore according to those students.

Mac and cheese though have origins in Italy. It became an American staple (all races) in 1937 when Kraft started selling their boxed meal.
My nephew's favorite is mac-n-cheese. He also loves fried chicken (and so do I) Easy to prepare for me.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Black students can't succeed on their own? White students can. They didn't get a dinner.

Right?
There are a lot of topics that might fall under the umbrella of talking about success. They might have wanted to address student recruitment, retention rates, increasing enrollment in degree fields, etc among black students, who make up about 7% of the university's enrollment. These are all valid issues that could come up in such an event, particularly at a Christian liberal arts university founded by abolitionists in a former Confederate state in 1891. Racial issues have been part of the make-up of Lipscomb since the very beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies